Some questions on TomTom Rider 500/550 vs Garmin Zumo XT

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by TheLondonder, Jul 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have browsed through the manuals and through a few forums, but I still have some questions on the Tom Tom Rider 500/550 vs the Zumo XT (the 5.5''). On-road usage only (lots of city riding, sadly).

Traffic data: is there any material difference between the two? Note I am in Europe so the reliability of traffic data may be different in the US, don't know. I remember that many years ago TomTom's traffic data was a bit better because it relied on data from Vodafone, but I have no idea if that's still the case.

Route planning and cloud: TomTom has a cloud system whereby you can login the TomTom website, plan routes, and these will show up on the satnav. With Garmin you must install BaseCamp on your PC and manually export the route by connecting the sat nav to the PC, or you can plan routes from the phone and then sync those to the sat nav, but there is no website you can use - is that right? Also, you can use third-party software like MyRouteApp https://www.myrouteapp.com/en with both.

Car use: they both have an optional car mounting kit, but how does that work? It doesn't seem like the car kits have speakers. Do both sat navs have built-in speakers? How loud are they, do they work fine in a car?

Music on a bike: The Zumo can play mp3 stored on its sd card, or audio from a phone connected via bluetooth (I presume this includes Tidal Spotify etc played on the phone). But most in-helmet bluetooth systems ( I have a Cardo Freecom 4+) already lower music volume when the sat nav gives directions, so is there much of a difference?

Music on a car: is this where Garmin makes a (slight) difference? If I stream music from the phone to the car speakers via bluetooth, while the sat nav uses its own speaker, then the music won't be paused when the sat nav gives directions - right?

Directions and navigation: Garmin has "real directions", e.g. it says "turn left before the McDonald's" and pictures of some junctions, ie it shows a real picture of which exit you have to take (only in some cases). Without having used them , the former seems useful, the latter more of a gimmick. Are there other material differences?

Anything else? Any real difference in battery life, screen readability under direct sunlight, motorcycle mounts?
  2. deesee

deesee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't think that Base Camp has weathered the times very well. It reminds me of Windows 3.1, and that was last century... Not being able to drag and drop a route (like Google/Apple Maps) is not acceptable to me, in the year 2020.

You can't listen to music on the TomTom, but you can have music on your phone, and listen to that over your headset.