1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Somerville Forest/Victoria Rail Trail Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BuiltnotBought, Mar 15, 2021.

1. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Anyone ridden these areas? Looking for some interesting but not too challenging areas to ride with my son this summer (2 up on an F800). I know you need an OFTR permit for these spots Where is the access to the Somerville Forest area? Only thing I see so far is an access for ski trails and I am cautious to think its the same trails. I want to enjoy all we can up there but I don't want to wander off onto a hiking trail or ATV only trail, I think the Kawartha Lakes ATV association runs them.

Info appreciated.
  2. Oshawa boy

Oshawa boy not a kid anymore

Oddometer:
    I've ridden there a couple of times. Always started at Monck and Pinery rds. Just tight single track. Might be wider stuff but I don't think there is much. I also go to bobgageon, ride to end of bass lake rd then take the wide snowmobile/atv trail to Gooderham. Its pretty easy but can be short bits of mud depending on previous rain. Not for street tires
  3. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I like the sounds of that trail to Gooderham - got any better details on how to find it? That's gotta be a pretty long haul if it goes all that way, would it be F800 worthy? I don't mind bits of mud as long as there is a shallow bottom. Its the deep holes that I dislike.

I found Bass Lake road on Google Maps but it looks like it just goes up and circles around Bass Lake, hard to see a true "end" to it. At
    44°40'31.1"N 78°31'03.1"W
    44.675296, -78.517530 I see something break off north but it almost looks like its someones driveway - is that it?
  4. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    There is a map available. Katva website says where you can find it. Gonna try and post a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

DyrWolf likes this.
  5. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Sample of the trail. Check YouTube for videos that people have posted.

Attached Files:

DyrWolf likes this.
  6. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Oh..trails are marked but not well. Mostly snowmobile signs so I had to use a snowmobile map to "cross reference ".
  7. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Looks very interesting. Looks like on the first map pic there are 3 trail heads on Bass Lake Rd, labeled 34, 33 and 32 on the map - are they physically marked off the road do you know? Looking at that spot on Google sat view it looks like 44.650373, -78.522274 is one trailhead, and maybe another just north of it? Looks like 34 and then 33 maybe?

No troubles running this with just an OFTR permit? It looks like from what I've read Kawartha Lakes ATV Riders have a pretty good relationship with OFTR, a lot of ATV associations don't want anything to do with 2 wheelers.
  8. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I checked youtube for bass lake road trail and didn't find anything, what should I br searching?
  9. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    All three trail heads are pretty much just one big starting point. I was pretty confused first time I went. Fortunately a couple of atvs came by and pointed me in the right direction. I hear ya on the atv guys but there is the Kawartha motorcycle club now and oftr so should be good. I've joined both. Good thing is there are a couple of spots that join up with good roads if things get to rough. If you like I could ride along with you.
  10. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    I have no idea how the 800 is off road. Probably ok. But definitely need something more than street tires. Skill level counts for alot. Of course the best way to get better skills is pushing the limits lol
  11. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Look for kawartha atv ride or maybe five points trailride. Should come up with something.
  12. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've heard of 5 points before, I'll look more into it. thanks
  13. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Does an OFTR membership get you access do you know or do you need a day-permit from KATV for access as well? Probably go up there to check this out come may with the DR200.
  14. Oshawa boy

Oddometer:
    Oftr covers it. Doesn't matter which club you choose.
    BuiltnotBought, gpfan and Meet@Trudys like this.