Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this belongs here, but it definitely was some assembly required. The deal is I have RA in my ankles. My line of work puts me on large job sites. Needless to say walking long distances is not my strong point.

I have a golf cart, but I wanted something small and light enough to toss in the back of a truck, which a golf cart is not. I am also one of those guys that keeps stuff for just in case I might need it one day. And have been known to pick up "roadside free" stuff.

Anyway, last week I found two Razor E-300 scooters for free. One was in pieces, one was mostly there. So a plan developed. Build a small lightweight 3 wheeler to use for work.

I didn't fully document the build, but the plan was: Use what I had laying around as much as possible.
    TonyKZ1 and JagLite like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I tore both donors apart. The usual reason one gets abandoned is that they simply quit working. One of them had been converted to variable speed, so I used the controller and throttle. I added a reversing relay to switch polarity to the motor for reverse. Used a DPDT 24 volt relay I had laying around. Mounted a switch on the bars to energize it for reverse. Pic of controls mounted in position. 3 wheel controls.jpg
    Fast Idle and rhino2481 like this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I sectioned out the frame where the tiny 10mm rear axle went thru, made up some mount plates from 10 gauge steel and welded them in. The rear axle bearings and sprocket were salvaged from a chain driven garage door operator. I had a piece of 5/8" keyed shaft laying around. Some dress up and a shot of similar color paint, and done. bearing inside.jpg bearing outside.jpg
    Fast Idle and FR700 like this.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The wheel hubs were next. The stock wheel hubs had tiny bearings, so no way to fit 5/8" id bearings. Old hand truck to the rescue. It had split hubs and used 4" tires, perfect for the tires salvaged from the scooters.
    Left side has bearings, Right side is live, driven by the axle. Don't need a differential. This thing will just see sidewalks and parking lots. Made a set of seat mounts from scrap, and a piece of plywood cut and sprayed with some leftover truck bed liner was seat MK1. That wasn't comfy and I had a boat seat laying around so I mounted that. 3 wheel left.jpg 3 wheel right.jpg
    ACR, XR4EVER, waylongway and 6 others like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The stock batteries from both donors were toast. I had a pair of 12ah batteries from a UPS that were still good, so I mounted them up. I am going to make some foot pegs and a I ordered a collapsible basket I plan on putting on the seat back. It has plenty of zip and hauls my 150 pounds around just fine. I also need to install a brake. Maybe a set of rear fenders or not. I can pick it up put it in my truck with no trouble. When the batteries die, it is getting a pair of 24 volt drill batteries that will cut the weight even further.
  6. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's awesome, I want one now. LOL
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lookin good, needs a fishin rod holder and drink coozy!

Oh, and a ball mount for your gps and SPOT tracker! :clap
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I was amazed at the quality of the construction of the frame. Flawless welds, and very high quality powder coat. No fishin rod holder, but I do have a Drink holder somewhere.
    Navin likes this.
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    A milk crate and some wee bitty fake-Pelicans from Harbor Freight and you could start out on a coast to coast tour.
    I like it. Mobility is pretty dang important.
    Navin likes this.
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Maybe a crate with a "I wish I was a KLR" sticker!
    FR700, Foxed101 and Navin like this.
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    dude.... it needs ADV tires.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    adv sticker.jpg Farkles scooter farkle.jpg
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool idea! :thumb
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Love it! Well done.
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    More to come yet! Stay tuned.
  16. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    lookin sharp in a handicapped sorta way.

[​IMG]
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Work is messing with my tinkering again. August in Flaw'duh. Gotta love the HVAC business. The only time lately I have had to work in the shop is when it is 120 degrees in the shop. I only sweat if I'm getting paid. :photog I have been thinking about how to add a brake. Turns out it needs one. Wound up it goes at least 15 mph and then it is coast or "Fred Flintstone" brakes time. I am leaning towards modifying the stock band brake. My salvaged batteries have a bit more age on them than I like, and I would guess they are down to about 8ah capacity And heavy too!

I ordered some 3D printed adapters for Kobalt 24 volt powertool batteries. Just snap the battery into the adapter, and instant power supply. Three year battery warranty on the batteries too. I can most likely get away with using one battery for most uses. Three weighing about 5 pounds equals two 12ah 24 volt batteries at 14 1/2 pounds. Lighter is better. And I can keep the batteries in my truck for safekeeping.

Fall is coming. Slower, cooler, more time to tinker.
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    New power supplies. I will weigh everything and see how much weight I took off. Still waiting on the brake parts. scooter power.jpg
    XR4EVER and Fast Idle like this.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Weighed by old AGM battery set and my new Lithium battery set. Saved 13 pounds and 1/4 ounce! AGM batteries.jpg Lithuim batteries.jpg
    Fast Idle likes this.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Wired up the battery mounts and overloads, put the seat back on and made a disc brake adapter. Cut the end off the stock rear carrier, chucked it in my lathe and turned the inside to 31mm. Cut down an old pulley with a 5/8" bore to match the axle size with a .001 interference fit. Heated up the outer and froze the inner and pressed them together with my 30 ton press. Waiting on an appropriate cable pull caliper. scooter wiring.jpg scooter rear view.jpg scooter brake.jpg
    FR700 and XR4EVER like this.