Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to the shop this morning to finish the fuel pump. Literally the second I picked up a wrench, phone goes off, had to leave on a 150 mile trip to pick up a vital component for a job. Maybe later this afternoon. Boo!!

After I got back, I finished up the fuel pump install with no issues. Went for a test ride. We had a cold front thru last night. Constant 30mph wind. Scooter does not like a 30 mph head wind. But with a tail wind, it went pretty good. Screaming along at about 10,000 rpm with the 40 mph speedometer pegged out. The rescued speedometer cable broke. I'll use my GPS until I get a new cable. Scooter was so happy it took me to the store for groceries. The phone mount makes a handy bag hanger.

FINISHED FUEL PUMP.jpg SCOOTER SHOPPING.jpg
    wilfred, Scrivens, Fast Idle and 5 others like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I didn't work on it at all today aside from rechecking nuts and bolts. Instead, I rode it about 80 miles. Fuel pump works perfectly. I think I need to lower the needle a notch, feels a little fat and blubbery at 3/4 throttle. With the new belt and sliders (and a worn variator), it feels like the variator is overcoming the existing torque spring, going to high range too early. I ordered a new torque spring and a different belt. I already have a new variator in my tool box. You have to be going down hill or with a tail wind to keep it on the pipe. I think the new belt/worn variator is causing a harmonic that feels like an out of balance tire at certain RPM.

The transmission is so easy to work on. The cover comes off in 3 or 4 minutes, and my battery impact has the variator apart in 10 seconds. I also ordered a holding tool. I broke a fin off the old variator using a strap wrench. Delicate little piece of kit. The tool is coming from Germany, so it may take a week. Luckily, the importer is in Florida, so it will have a one day trans-ship time.

The fuel gauge comes in handy. I know where it needs to be to add a gallon of fuel. I carry a 3.2 ounce bottle of oil and stop when needed to premix a gallon, so it is not that inconvenient. I was stopped for gas when a girl (maybe 17 or 18) walked up to look at the scooter. She asked me what I called it. I said "scooter". She said no, that is a "Scruffy". So now it is officially "Scruffy" the scooter.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap Scruffy is perfect :D
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After having ridden it some more, I put it on the lift again. This time looking to set up the CVT. Some parts for this will be in tomorrow. I pulled it completely down to pieces. The whole varirtor is getting replaced because of wear to the faces and a couple of broken cooling fins. Took the clutch apart because I am installing a new contra spring. Clutch pads worn out. So I ordered a set of pads and some new springs.

So while I have it apart I am looking for the reason for the imbalance. No imbalance, the rear tire has an issue in the bead area that makes it run out of round by 3 or 4 mm. I am going to try to break the beads, soap it up and re-seat it, but my bet is it won't help. Honestly the first ever defective bike tire for me. You can spin the transmission shaft with a drill and socket and see it hop slightly up and down. I didn't notice at first because I held the speed down.

With about 150 miles on the engine, I am going to do a compression and leak down to see how the cylinder is doing and to see if I need to do any adjustments with gasket thicknesses or what ever. If it is lower than I want, May need a little adjustment. I am confident it hasn't soft seized or anything.
    wilfred, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Christmas in April. Got my clutch shoes, springs, drive belt, body panel clips, and speedo cable! Let the wrenching begin anew!

TRANSMISSION PARTS.jpg
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Cup half full day. Speedo cable, just right, springs, just right. Clutch shoes....one of them has a machining error, going to go with the old ones for now. New variator....won't fit. It's like a building at Disney, 4/5 size.

White puzzle time. It seems that MY engine came with a crankshaft with 16mm output. The standard 50cc uses 13mm, which is what was sent after I gave the vendor the unit information. "Nother uptick in the learning curve. So I ordered one that will fit. No real biggie, its not like I will have hours and hours involved. Going to put it together and ride it this weekend. I'll find out what it does with the new factory sized belt, and the new contra and clutch springs.

Got the transmission back together. I had a set of 3 gram rollers (4 gram is stock). Put those in so the engine could rev a little more. The plug looked decidedly rich when I took it out to check the compression, so of course I just HAD to fiddle with the air box, because it shouldn't be that rich. The snorkel had a molded in restriction in the elbow, so I cut the snorkel out.

Checked the compression, and it falls a bit short of ideal. I was expecting 150-175 psi. I have 90 psi. I buttoned it back up, ordered a couple of base and head gaskets. Then I took it for a ride. 3 grams is way too light. It revved to the moon, but managed a new top speed record of 46 mph. The new contra spring definitely keeps it from going into high too quick.

Tomorrow, I am going to 4 gram weights and see how that does. I did a plug chop and now, with the air box mod, it is lean, so it was choked up. I'll go back up another jet size and see how that works.
    Scrivens and JagLite like this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Changed the variator weights from 3 gram rollers to 4 gram sliders. Also upped the min jet from 80 to 85. It will cruise along on level ground at 39-40 mph. And that is at part throttle. At full throttle unless going down hill, it will go no faster. It reaches a balance point where it does not have enough power to pull the gearing.

I tried remounting the out of round tire. No luck. At 45-46 mph, it is annoying. I ordered a new tire. When I pull the top end apart for inspection, I will change the tire. A WOT plug chop shows better fueling, but it should have a #90 main if the weather is any cooler. We had good air today. Post cold front, with a corrected altitude of 452 feet. I need to find my degree wheel, and figure the port duration. With so many different strokes in different cranks, who knows what stroke the porting was set up for.
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I started pulling it apart to remove the rear wheel and access the top end. The "compressed solder" test shows the squish at .080", nearly double the ideal. With the pipe off, piston looks good thru the port. I'm pulling the top end off as soon as the gaskets get here. I'll measure the gaskets and take the head to the machine shop to cut it to about .038-.040 squish. The replacement tire is a Kenda. Inexpensive, but a good tire.

Still looking for a spare motor. Found a whole scooter about 95 miles away for a good price, but communication with the owner has been horrible. I would like to build a 100+cc engine if I can do it with a spare motor. I don't want the scooter down while doing it. Or maybe a 90cc. There is a kit that works with a stock stroke crank. Just have to machine the cases for the cylinder spigot to fit and some trim work.
    Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got the Kenda tire mounted and installed. It seems to be round!
    kenda.jpg
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Today, I pulled the head with the intention to get it milled for correct squish. When I got it off, The cylinder had scoring on either side of the exhaust port. I pulled the cylinder. Rings are free, and the piston, while it has marks is not bad. The cylinder will not clean up with hone, I don't think. You can feel them with your finger nail. And the E-bay guy I got it from says no oversize available. I haven't killed a cylinder since I sold my nitrous stuff. :photog

Moving along, I called my local vendor that I now buy most of my junk from. They sell what is called a Power Kit from Hoca. Cylinder/piston/head kit, matching nickel plated pipe, intake and reed set, 21mm PWK carb, performance variator, selection of springs, new clutch assembly. All for a reasonable cost. I figure part of what has been going on is mismatched parts.

Parts will be in next week. Stay tuned for "Scruffy the scooter finds his mojo".
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    When I got home from work, I had an E-mail that my parts had been shipped and were to be delivered Saturday! Problem: I wasn't going to be in town Saturday. I checked the FedEx site, and found an option to hold the shipment at a local Fedex annex at a Pharmacy 2 blocks from my house. Saturday, got an E-mail that the shipment was on the truck for delivery. Man was I excited! Supposed to get an E-mail when it could be picked up. Coming back into town Saturday evening, still "on the truck for delivery". I called FedEx. Was told that means next business day (Monday).

So, today I ………….. Was a worthless bastige and did absolutely nothing at all besides watch Moto GP. And eat, and nap, and eat. Had a great day. Now I need a nap after some more ribs!
    wilfred, JagLite, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Boo! Parts not coming until Tuesday!. I called fedex, they said the truck wasn't cubed out yet, so it isn't moving until Tuesday!
  13. JagLite

Oddometer:
    FedEx, when it absolutely, positively has to be there asap...

:dirtdog

It really, really hurts when you promise a customer that his truck will be fixed so he doesn't lose $25,000.

But the parts didn't get delivered even though shipped overnight, top priority.
    How do you apologize to someone who has just lost a sizeable chunk of his income? :becca
    And how much damage to your reputation for something you have no control over? :baldy
    Beezer and villageidiot like this.
  14. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the big picture, it's not your fault his equipment failed at a really bad time for him. It's not your fault FEDEX didn't deliver. (not the first time for them) Don't dwell on it, won't do any good for anyone. Don't get me wrong, I get it, I get the sinking feeling you get when you can't do what you said you would do, but hell you can't shit out the parts needed either.
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you gunna put “slow 75” on the side of this one?
    Fast Idle likes this.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Nah, it is Scruffy the Scooter. May get one of these. Looks remarkably like me, too. :lol3:photog
    scruffy decal.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The delay in delivery is squarely mine. I didn't read the "next business day" fine print. That is ok, saves me from rushing into it and not taking the time to do it right.

Picked the parts up today, took a quick peek, and am so far quite happy. The port work on my old cylinder is sloppy compared to the new one. Some pictures later. Confirmed that my carb is a genuine Taiwanese OKO.
    JagLite, Fast Idle and villageidiot like this.
  18. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's funny, :lol3
    JagLite likes this.
  19. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Yep, life goes on and we can only do what we can do. :dunno
    There is so much we have no control over.
    We can control how we react to things we have no control over :jkam
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Set both cylinders in my desk for a side by side. The new cylinder has longer port timing, larger port, better angles, and a nice big bridged boost port. The old cylinder was marketed as a "sport" cylinder. It is really not much more than an over bored stock cylinder. Comparing the exhausts, the original one is very different, looks like a "screamer" pipe compared to the new one. Pulled the bowl off the carb to get baseline jet sizes. Adjusted the float as per OKO USA recommendations.

both cylinders.jpg booster ports.jpg shiny pipe.jpg