Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    My kit came with a new clutch that uses a 107mm clutch bell, but didn't include the bell. My stock clutch uses a 112 mm bell. So I opted to buy a new 107mm bell to go with the new clutch. More worms in the can. New clutch is bigger than 107mm and will not fit in the new 107mm bell. E-mails sent to vendor.

HOCA CLUTCH.jpg 107MM BELL.jpg CLUTCH AND BELL.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Had a couple of vaction days, going to work on putting it back together. Deburred and relieved the cylinder. Ring gap @.009, perfect. Assemble cylinder and head piston, no rings, check squish clearance. Fine at 1.1mm. Take it apart, install rings, put top end together. Torque cylinder head. Threads pull out of the case on one stud.

Pull the top end back off, look at the issue. Need thread repair kit for M7 x 1.0 threads. No one in town has one. Order a Timesert kit from Amazon. Done till Monday. Going fishing.

Went home, had a sammich. About to rain, so no fishing. Came back to the shop, decided I would install my new intake, reed cage, and carb. Everything comes apart ok, gasket not hard to get off. Used my surface plate to check the new aluminum intake. A little wax on wax off with some 400 grit, and intake is nice and flat. Pop the reed block in. Interference with the screws on the plates. Stuff rag in intake and go at the cases with my die grinder. Opened up nicely. Reeds plop right in place.

Put a little FIPG on the gaskets and put it together. Heard a "pop". Took it apart. Reed block cracked. No evidence of why. OK, put the stock reed block back in with the new intake. Bolted on the carb and Uni-filter. I guess I will have a go with another brand hi-po reed plate if I need to. Enough for now. It is 98 degrees in the shop.
    Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ARGH!!!!! :becca

:baldy

:devildog

Smart man to go fishing. :beer
    Relax, mellow out, let the universe settle down and the peace surround you.
    Nothing really matters....

:jkam
    Fast Idle likes this.
  4. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like it's always something. :photog
    Every time I think I'm almost done with something, I'm not.
    Did you find out anything on the clutch situation?
  5. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has been building an aluminum monocoque airplane for 20 years. He likes to say that the project is "90% complete, with 90% still to do."
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The clutch. I did pull the CVT apart today, but haven't disassembled the driven section yet. This is a picture of the new bell, with the new clutch in it. It looks REALLY loose. That is a 3/16 round file stuck in there between the bell and the clutch. When I disassemble the drive section, I will see how much clearance that one has. If all else fails, I have a spare set of OEM pads. I will use pieces and parts from both clutches to build one. That is for tomorrow when I be alone, undisturbed to work on it. The new carb and air filter do look impressive. The filter won't be quite as obvious after I put the transmission cover back on. The new holder tool work good too!

loose clutch.jpg tool.jpg
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Fiddled around with the clutch some. The stock shoes had quite a bit of wear, which is why I tried to replace them some time ago. I had bought a set of replacement shoes that I ended up not using because of machining error. The vendor I got them from sent a second set at no charge.

I thought maybe install the newest set of pads in the stock clutch, and use the 2000 rpm springs. The new shoes are smaller than the old worn stockers, and one of the new set has the machining error that two of the first set had. Had one good one from the first set and two good ones from the second set to make a complete set. So now it is use the old ones again, or run it with what looks to be a wrong set up. The new clutch bell has a friction surface that looks like anti-slip. Very rough, I don't think a set of shoes would last very long with that, and the racing clutch has very thin linings. The arc of the shoe does not match the arc of the bell. They will ride on the very tips of the shoe.

I have some questions posed about the clutch on a couple of scooter boards. The time-sert kit will be in mid day Monday, my last vacation day. Hopefully I can get the top end back together with no more drama. The nickel plated new exhaust pipe really pops against the semi gloss black. Hopefully it will fit without cutting/drilling/welding. The bright side is, since we have at least 2 more weeks of love bugs, I won't miss out on a lot of riding time. They are the worst since the 1970's. Yesterday, in 20 miles in my truck, you couldn't see thru the windshield. At least they don't bite or sting.

I checked out the OKO USA website. They have a mod for the float bowl where you relieve the threads in the float bowl to allow the pilot jet to be changed without removing the bowl. That could make it a lot easier to tune.
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Pictures of the replacement clutch shoes that have the machining error. One would work, two don't go all the way down the mount stud enough to get the thrust washers and clips on.

whacked shoe1.jpg whacked shoe2.jpg whacked shoe3.jpg
    JagLite and layzrider like this.
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Picked up another scooter today. 2008 Vento Triton LI. Powertrain is stock/unmolested. Lights missing, runs good. Has a clear title. Cast your votes. Rat Scooter, or Organ Donor?

organ donor.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  10. rantingsmith

rantingsmith Quadrilingual blacksmith seat of pants engineer

Oddometer:
    The world needs more rat scooters!
    Fast Idle likes this.
  11. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  12. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    with weapons!
  13. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto-cross Scooter! :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-5-13_6-44-15.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Went to the DMV this morning. Now an official owner of the Vendo. Also got my Time-Sert kit in. Going to make a drill guide of sorts and give it a try!

timesert kit.jpg
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recommend drilling by hand, not with a drill. Just use a tap handle and drill it out.

You also wanna make sure that you recess the time sert below deck using the stepped part.

Don’t forget red loc-tite on the outside of the insert. And a drop of thin oil on the insert installer
  16. downtavern

downtavern Pants Flyer

Oddometer:
    Something like this? we're still figuring it out... something like a $500 max budget, only cvt's, less than 150cc, etc.

Cheers!

I love where this build is going!
    JagLite likes this.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Update. Time-sert install went well. Fixed the pulled out threads, and one that the cylinder stud was loose in. Pretty straight forward deal. Used Loctite on them. Reinstalled cylinder and head. Torqued down fine. Moved on to the exhaust. Trial fit it. Same as the last time. With the header flange bolted properly to the head, the mount holes didn't line up. I guess most people just stick them together however. This one would have a leak at the port, or stress cracked something.

I cut the mount flange, fabbed some new tabs, welded them on and painted the repair area. Now everything fits like it should. This pipe tucks in closer than the other one did. Looks good, and the repaired/painted area sort of blends in with the engine cowling.

I took the intake back off because I had ordered another performance reed cage to replace the broken one. Figured out that after opening up the intake to clear the screws on the reed block, the tip of the block on the left side hit the bottom by JUST enough to crack the cage when I tightened it. I expect the same deal with the new cage, so I ordered a 5mm spacer to go under it.

SCRUFFYM1.jpg SCRUFFYM2.jpg SCRUFFYM3.jpg SCRUFFYM4.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Waiting on a few more parts to come in. Gaskets for the intake, new reed cage, and jet more different clutch shoes. Hope to have all I need to put it back together by this coming weekend. All I can do until then is do the float bowl mod and test fit to make sure my throttle cable will work.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Fired up the Vento and rode it around the parking lot a little bit. It has a small exhaust leak, other than that after pulling the bodywork off, it needs some degreasing. And I found that the oil tank had the obligatory rag stuffed in the tank. I had a good battery the right size. The PO of the Keeway I cut up had just bought the new battery. Then there was the tinfoil fuse, and the ignition switch that someone had tried to use a screwdriver or something for a key.

Took the switch apart, and the lock/tumblers were wrecked, so I removed them. Now I can operate it with my truck key. Going to pick up a fuse tomorrow. I think the blown fuse may have been from a rub-thru in the tail light wiring, which had been disconnected and jammed between a body panel and the frame. I have the turn signals, and think I have a spare tail light from a boat trailer kit somewhere. When I had the title work done, I went ahead and registered it, so I have a tag for it. According to the PO, it has new rear brakes.

The parts that came with it include a brand new Shinko rear tire. I have tons of spare stock carb stuff in case I need any of it. If my parts to finish Scruffy don't com in in time, Vento gets some love this weekend. I will be careful to not damage the "patina" or "custom rat scooter paint" I may use more than the 7 body panel screws that were holding it together.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I got the new CVT stuff installed this morning. I had finally gotten a seemingly reasonable answer about the clutch. I was told to set the clutch inside the bell, and ignore the larger than normal radial clearance. Instead check to see if the arc of the shoes match the inside of the clutch bell. They do. So I put it together. New clutch, new contra spring, complete new variator assembly.

All I am waiting for is the new reed spacer. Once I get that, it is back together and start over on the break-in, tune. All other stuff like body work is on hold until I am happy with the mechanical stuff.

Vendo was missing the correct gas cap. I ordered a kit with a weld-on stub and a new cap. Have the tank emptied and sunning outdoors to dry out the fuel fumes.
    JagLite, Fast Idle and Beezer like this.