Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    While waiting on the reed spacer for Scruffy the Scooter, I put the vento on the lift. First was to check the exhaust leak. Instead of studs and nuts, it has bolts. The bolts thread thru the cylinder flange and are rusted. I could turn them in a bit, but they are not coming out. Interestingly, the amount I tightened them seemed to fix the leak. I soaked them down with Deep Creep for just in case.

I got to the carb, and found some major jury rigging. The top to the carb was missing, and three washers cleverly clamed down served as a top. I had a nearly new carb, so I installed it. I also installed a spare air box I had. Installed a battery and ATO fuse holder. Ignition switch worked, horn blows, but starter only made a feeble attempt. Jumping the solenoid made sparks, but no electric start. Rolled it off the bench and it cranked first kick, and settled down nicely. Good throttle response, calling that done.

Went to dig into the electric start issue. Pulled the starter out and apart. Fried. Stuck my finger thru the case and found the starter pinion gear would go either way. Sprag not working. Pulled the CVT cover and found a washer loose, all the cooling fins knocked off the variator, and shrapnel all over. I had sounded fine when I ran it. Pulled the variator and starter clutch. Confirmed the sprag did not work. Also found the pinion gear in backwards, and missing two thrust washers.

Took the starter clutch apart. The springs and pins for the sprag rollers were impacted with belt dust. Cleaned everything and the starter clutch works. Installed a spare variator I had. Stuck it back together and ordered a new starter motor, and thrust washers. Still cranks first kick. Very happy with that. It has lighting output at the headlight and tail light/brake light plugs.

I did get my headlights that I ordered. They are going into the recess where the now missing headlight went.

rat eyes.jpg
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Reed spacer came in! It has cutouts to clear a stock reed block with 2 screws on each side. Now I just need to clearance it to fit my reed block with 3 screws on each side.

REED SPACER.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    A little love for the Vendo. New starter, and a cooling shroud to replace the missing one. And I grazed for lunch!

rat starter.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After work I installed the new starter and shroud. It cranks instantly! Too hot in the shop in the afternoon (115 degrees!). I got the reed spacer modified, so I will take Vento off the table, and put Scruffy back on. Have a long weekend using up the last of my vacation time. Hopefully I can get it running again and do some break-in / tuning.
    JagLite, scot_douglas and Fast Idle like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    When I rode the Vento last, it was at paddle foot speed in the back of the shop. I had thought the front brake was non functional. I found out it was a wrong lever bolt overtightened. I fixed that, the front brake works fine.

So, with functional brakes, a new carb and CVT working properly, I drove it in the long alley behind my shop. Once the carb cleared out, I thought Damn! this thing runs better than my other one. Zippy! It really does run good. So I parked it out of the way for until the new fuel cap gets here. Scruffy is going on the bench for the induction system tomorrow. Hopefully with new/matched parts, it will run even better!

Then I face down my arch nemesis, the DIXIE CHOPPER. Boss brought it in with a list of things, and said "no hurry, Friday is fine". You have to lay down/crawl around to work on it. I have COPD, so bending over is a problem for more than a minute. Maybe I can sling it under our forklift and lift it up.
    JagLite likes this.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    [​IMG]???
    villageidiot likes this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    No cigar. More like THIS one! That was an actual test bed machine powered by a helicopter turbine to test the powertrain at Dixie Chopper.

HomeImprovementLawnMowerRacing.png
    wilfred, JagLite and Beezer like this.
  8. Star-Bellied Sneetch

Star-Bellied Sneetch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are we playing "how many cliche' style elements can I use on one bike?" I spot rebel flags, flames, maltese crosses and an evil joker/skull. What have I missed?
    Beezer likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    ha ha... I knew what you meant Mr. Fast but couldn't resist. the motors make a good hovercraft powerplant. 25hp Kohler on this:

[​IMG]

20 on this one

[​IMG]
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I got the intake tract installed this morning. Took some fiddling to make the throttle cable work, but figured it out. When I first cranked it, the immediate thing was, this one has a lot more compression than the old cylinder. Fired right up. I will definitely have to order a remote choke cable kit. When I put the underseat plastic back on I won't be able to reach the choke knob.

I warmed it up for 10 minutes and adjusted the idle speed. Other than that I made no further adjustments. Went for a ride. The idle jet may be a tiny bit too big. It is rich off idle. Once past that, it is crisp and sounds good. Rode it about 10 miles. Other than a few momentary 1/2 throttle hits to load the rings, nothing past 1/4 throttle going down the road.

It cruises easily at 40 mph at part throttle. The sound is "harmonious" brings back memories of my Yamaha 90 MX bike. The Uni filter gives a nice honk when you throttle up. Going to put at lease 100 miles on it before I run it to any degree at full throttle. The new rear tire solved the out of round issue, and it rides better. The suspension is beginning to break in, and is less harsh than it was.

The matched engine pieces seem to work well together. Small inclines (Florida Hills) don't pull the speed down like before. And I live in the hilliest part of Florida. When the nuclear furnace dips a little lower, I am going for another ride. Tomorrow I will pull the CVT cover and see how all the new pieces look.

new carb.jpg
    wilfred, Scrivens, Fast Idle and 2 others like this.
  11. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Arktasian

Arktasian Lets call it Naturalized

Oddometer:
    When's the "blue bottle" going on her?
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no juice for the scooter. My assessment is the engine is a bit too delicate for the task. I will have fun just the way it is. And spend many enjoyable hours maximizing the tune.
    JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  14. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After it cooled off a bit, I took the scooter for another run. I adjusted the idle mix, which took care of the off idle richness. I had never worked with a PWK carb before. Considering that it is "out of the box" it is doing a great job. Put another 45 miles on it. Happy to say the Love Bugs are pretty much done until fall.

There is a lake near my house with tree shaded recently resurfaced paving. Speed limit is 45mph. Now I am not getting in anyone's way, even at part throttle. At one point I gave it a little throttle and was listening to how it sounded. Accidentally broke my previous speed record of 46 going down hill, tucked in. New record 52 mph.

The only down side is at one point I stopped to hydrate, and the electric starter couldn't turn the engine over because of a suddenly dead battery. One kick was all it took with that weird backwards kick lever. I suspect the battery just suddenly failed. It was in the bike when I dragged it out of the PO's back yard covered in sea gull crap.

I have the battery on charge. I watched the charger for a few minutes, and it never changed from pulse mode to charge. Not real hopeful about the battery. Tomorrow beckons!
    JagLite, Fast Idle and villageidiot like this.
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The battery charged up, charging system runs at 13.4 volts. Didn't have any trouble with it today. Installed a new speedo cable. Speedo only reads to 40 mph. Needle goes considerably past 40 at part throttle. Two things I learned today: A 1.26 gallon fuel tank on a high strung 2 stroke is nowhere near big enough, especially if you are having fun. Second thing, pushing a scooter a mile in 97 degree heat to get gas is not fun. Until I figure out something, I'm carrying some spare fuel.

Between yesterday and today, I got 150 miles on it. Carb needs fine tuning. But a little rich is ok breaking it in. Around 6 pm the air cools off, and it runs better with better air. I think my fuel pump (rated at 1-2 psi) may be a fuzz too much pressure, and when it sits for even a few minutes when you crank it back up, it is loaded up and you have to clear it out. I'm thinking the pressure after the pump shuts off forces gas past the needle. I am going to build a bypass with a .060 orifice to bleed the pressure back to the tank after the fuel pump shuts off.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride. Took enough oil for 3 tank refills. Also took a quart of canned 40/1 premix as emergency back up. There is a nice section of curvy road I like to ride. I was bombing along at 52 in a 30 mph zone, having a ball.

Felt a weird vibration, and lost something in the CVT. Again 97 degrees. Luckily, it was along a piece of the road shaded by oak trees. Pulled over, engine revs, no crashing noises, just won't go. Found gear oil on the rear wheel.

Called a friend that brought his trailer and we took it to the shop, where it is resting. Shop has been closed up, and it is a zillion degrees. Going to come back in the morning and see what broke. I had changed the gear oil when I first got it running and found nothing unusual in the old oil. The belt is a new Bando with maybe 300 miles on it.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I took the CVT apart. The drive belt had completely disintegrated. The fixed face on the variator was loose. The nut that retains it was still torqued to spec. Looks like under torque the back side of the boss on the fixed face deformed. Fixed face ruined. A HOCA performance variator. Dug out all the debris from the belt, which were jammed everywhere.

I think the belt was too short, and was pulled apart at high speed. I had a spare stock variator, and a 6mm longer belt, so I installed them. Now the engine does not rev high enough to get on the pipe because the stock variator comes in too soon. Runs fine considering it doesn't really get on the pipe. Acceleration is slower, but builds. I managed 53 mph, but It would do a lot better with a different variator.
    JagLite and TerraRoot like this.
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Thread bump. Nothing new yet. It has been 100 - 102 degrees in the shade, with not a cloud in sight. Gets up to 125 degrees in the shop. Add another thing to the list. Headlights quit working. I don't ride it at night, but sure as hell some cop looking to up his ticket count would ticket me for no headlight (required on at all times in Florida). I did order a new variator and belt, but it got back ordered. Maybe I can get an early start Saturday (like 5 am) and get some stuff done before it gets stupid hot.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Found time to look at why my headlights quit working. They are just dead. Jumped out to the battery, no go. Don't know what happened. I will take them apart tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am adapting the single light bar. I will order some different dual lights later. Should have it back running tomorrow.
    JagLite likes this.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Have been crazy busy at work. Hottest ever for this time of year. I installed the spare light bar I had so I can ride. Got a new performance variator, and a new belt. Figured out what killed the first variator. Shimming problem. This one is shimmed so it won't fail. I have a bag of shims coming to tune it for a little more low end grunt. Power is restored with it revving high enough to get on the pipe taking off. I also ordered a selection of jets and needles to fine tune it.

It hit my top speed target this morning. It has officially gone 55 mph. I think 60 is in reach with some tuning. Getting closer to doing "pretty up" work. That has to wait until I get over the second quarter financial hump. For now, I ride it some and fiddle with it incrementally. I'm not entirely happy with the light bar, but it will do until later.
    JagLite likes this.