While waiting on the reed spacer for Scruffy the Scooter, I put the vento on the lift. First was to check the exhaust leak. Instead of studs and nuts, it has bolts. The bolts thread thru the cylinder flange and are rusted. I could turn them in a bit, but they are not coming out. Interestingly, the amount I tightened them seemed to fix the leak. I soaked them down with Deep Creep for just in case. I got to the carb, and found some major jury rigging. The top to the carb was missing, and three washers cleverly clamed down served as a top. I had a nearly new carb, so I installed it. I also installed a spare air box I had. Installed a battery and ATO fuse holder. Ignition switch worked, horn blows, but starter only made a feeble attempt. Jumping the solenoid made sparks, but no electric start. Rolled it off the bench and it cranked first kick, and settled down nicely. Good throttle response, calling that done. Went to dig into the electric start issue. Pulled the starter out and apart. Fried. Stuck my finger thru the case and found the starter pinion gear would go either way. Sprag not working. Pulled the CVT cover and found a washer loose, all the cooling fins knocked off the variator, and shrapnel all over. I had sounded fine when I ran it. Pulled the variator and starter clutch. Confirmed the sprag did not work. Also found the pinion gear in backwards, and missing two thrust washers. Took the starter clutch apart. The springs and pins for the sprag rollers were impacted with belt dust. Cleaned everything and the starter clutch works. Installed a spare variator I had. Stuck it back together and ordered a new starter motor, and thrust washers. Still cranks first kick. Very happy with that. It has lighting output at the headlight and tail light/brake light plugs. I did get my headlights that I ordered. They are going into the recess where the now missing headlight went.