Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    latest pic.jpg
    wilfred, MATTY, Fast Idle and 4 others like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I had ordered some shims for the variator. One package was titled "for Minarelli horizontal, universal" the other was titled "for 20mm variator boss". My boss is 20mm, so I have it covered, right? No. I wonder why it is so difficult for them to provide complete size specs, like 20mm OD X 16mm ID X .250MM thickness. Oh well not much money, and I will find a use for them eventually. Found exactly what I needed at McMaster Carr, they will be here tomorrow. Fortunately after 75 miles since I put it back together, no carnage. I'm sure it will work better with the proper spacers.

While I am waiting for my shims, It has had a tendency to be really loaded up after sitting even for a few minutes. I pulled the carb and readjusted the float. My fuel pump shuts off with the ignition, but does not bleed back. I suspect with fuel pressure still on the carb, it may be bleeding past.

So, I took a brass barb tee, and soldered in a .045" bypass tube. When installed the fuel pump has plenty of volume to keep up, but when the pump shuts off, the pressure, if any will bleed back to the fuel tank. I will get it installed when I update the variator shims.

bypass.jpg
    wilfred, MATTY, rantingsmith and 3 others like this.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Slick! :thumb
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Shims are here!

correct shims.jpg
    MATTY and JagLite like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Installed the variator shims this afternoon. That went well. Then I installed the pressure bleed system. Fired it up, looked like it was working fine until I smelled raw fuel. Gas all over the top of the cylinder cooling shroud. Pinhole leaks in the brass tees. Both of them. One had two, spewing tiny streams of fuel. The other was more of a dribbler. Not in the barb areas, but on the back of the tee in the shiny/smooth cast area.

Bought them from amazon, and they looked really good. Claimed to be made in USA. Just ordered some forged Parker fittings from McMaster Carr. Pricey, but I bet they won't leak.

Had just enough fuel line to hook it back up the way it was. By the time I got done, the Florida summertime rain storms popped up. Going to ride it tomorrow.
    MATTY, JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I got a chance yesterday to ride it about 30 miles. The shims put the CVT right where it needed to be. Revs up on the pipe and is amazingly peppy for a 70cc engine. Still working on tuning the carb. I got with tech services at OKO USA, and I will say they are responsive and quite helpful. For one thing, they said the fuel pump I have should work fine. I got a suggestion to go down a size or 2 on the idle jet, and change the needle to a specific one. I will pull the carb off and take it apart and see what I have and make sure the jet block gasket isn't leaking.
    MATTY, Fast Idle, Scrivens and 2 others like this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I went to clean up the work space some, and dug the brass tees that leaked out of the trash. A close look shows the branch had been drilled too deeply, causing the leak, not porosity. I stuck a straight pin thru the branch and made the hole a bit more visible. I'm going to solder up the holes and save them.

leaky tee.jpg
    wilfred, MATTY, villageidiot and 2 others like this.
  8. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Atta boy! :thumb
    fast1075 and villageidiot like this.
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothin like hammering nails straight!
    MATTY and fast1075 like this.
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got my carb parts in today! Now I have to find time to play with them! They were out of new stock for the 38 pilot jet so they took one out of a carb and sent it free!

carb parts.jpg
    MATTY, JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Found time yesterday to change the needle. Quote a bit of difference in taper. Too hot at 104 to go on much of a ride. The short ride I did take seems to be a lot better. More later.
    MATTY, Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Heat index today: 105 degrees! Bugger! Broke out my psychrometer, and we are at 82% relative humidity. One of my co-workers thought it a great idea to come to work sick with strep throat. Now I'm on steroids and antibiotics. Double Bugger! I can't go outdoors at all in the heat, if I do, I can't breathe!

Take care of your lungs. You only get one set! At least I have a most killer AC system in my studio. 41% relative at 72 degrees. Much better indoors!
    wilfred, MATTY and JagLite like this.
  13. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Aye, we cancelled our planned camping trip this weekend due to the heat and smoke from the forest fires burning upwind. :devildog

It is 83 F and we are melting.... :knary

I don't know how many of you live where it really gets hot. :pep
  14. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good call Jag, because it's even hotter as you get north. By noon it's been too hot to do anything!
    We've been in the 80's for awhile and in the 90's the last two days.
    Been chill'in at the Sansui lounge in the garage listening to 70's music to survive. :photog
    It's nice and cool in there.

The 10-day is for more of the same with even hotter temps next weekend. To an Alaskan 90 degrees is like 110.
    But we're not complaining!:lol3
  15. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Humidity is the killer. It gets over 100F here for about 4 months of the year and peaks at 115F or so, but the humidity is only around 10% and I love those hot dry days.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    83 is comfy here! Very Comfy to us anyways. What I would fear more would be if I accidentally locked myself out of the house getting something from my truck, and froze to death before I could get back in.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Still getting over being sick. At this point side effects from the steroids is the worst. But, I do believe that once I go down a size on the pilot jet, I will be most of the way there. I rode it a bit this morning after the roads dried from last night's frog choker, but before the nuclear furnace made it unbearable, or the rain set in again. The different needle cleaned up the mid throttle nicely. It still has a tiny flutter in transition, but I haven't felt like changing the jet yet.

On the other hand, it went 57mph upright on level ground, and even accelerates up florida mountains (overpasses :lol3), and almost winds my 40mph speedo back around to the stop!. Now, I need a nap! :photog
    JagLite and Scrivens like this.
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I felt like working on Scruffy the Scooter this morning. I change the pilot jet from a 42 to a 40. That put the carburation pretty much sot on. It is crisp, goes from WOT to idle cleanly.

It is only 88 today, with cloud cover, so it feels real nice in the wind. Rode a 40 mile loop thru some of the back roads near here. It is getting more fun to ride as it breaks in more.

scruffy at the lake.jpg
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    It is going back on the bench. Going to send the seat frame and headlight bracket off for powder coating. The tiny fuel tank is a bit of a problem. Fuel mileage is only about 45mpg. The tank holds 1.2 gallons, so I have to be very aware to avoid running out, which has happened once. I carry 3 ounce bottles of oil because having proper premix at home really limits how far I venture.

I am considering reinstalling an oil pump and tank, and getting a larger fuel tank. I am pretty sure a genuine Rucks tank will bolt in, because the tank cover I am using was for a Ruckus, and it fits perfectly. With more fuel and a working auto lube, it would be better. It is perfectly happy at 45-50 mph, and out accelerates normal car traffic from a stop.

The only problem I have had recently, is the vibration killed my cheapo bar end mirrors. They sucked anyways. I have replace them with conventional mirrors that give much better views anyway.

I am debating whether to reinstall the plastics or just keep riding it naked. I do plan on making some foot pegs for it. So far, so good. 400 miles on it now.
    Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    id say real tank, and oil pump, and a splash of 100:1 oil to be safe.

leave it naked, with some added foot pegs.
    Fast Idle and rantingsmith like this.