Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be totally sweet if you rigged it up to charge by plugging it into your trailer harness while you transported it. :)
  2. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I could charge it like that. Unfortunately, it uses 24 volt lithium batteries. Have to use the proper charger. Those Kobalt batteries use high quality Panasonic cells, and have a very good BMS. I DID used to hook up the trolling motor on my Jon boat so it charged that way. In the spring and fall, I never unhooked the trailer. I would fish before work, after work, you get the picture. One of the true joys of living in Flatistan.

On the project, my sprocket, brake carrier and drive wheel hub are not keyed, and I have had some loosening of the set screws. So I bought a broach key and bushing so I can broach keyways (if I don't klutz up and break the tool). My machinist wanted $75.00 to broach all three pieces. The tool cost $60.00. Wish me luck!
    villageidiot likes this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got to play with some of my toys today. My old South Bend lathe, the old Harbor Freight press, my band saw, and my new broaching tool. I had bought a piece of 1 3/8" aluminum round bar stock. I chopped off a piece, center drilled it to 5/8" drilled and tapped a hole for the set bolt, and broached the keyway. The press came in handy. Afterwards I pressed the new keyed hub adapter into the wheel. Press cam in really handy there. The sprocket and the disc carrier are next when one of them gets loose again. Hopefully the sprocket hub is not hardened. The brake carrier is alloy center pressed into the threaded steel outer, so it will cut easily.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    parts and tools.jpg wheel 1.jpg wheel 2.jpg press.jpg
    wilfred, Malamute, YamaGeek and 3 others like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Taking the lead from Fast Idle the master restorer, I ordered the stuff needed to zinc plate some stuff. Something Different is spending more time in the wild. Some of the parts are plain steel, and are getting surface rust. I will give the plating a try. Have to come up with a tray long enough to fit the axle in. May try gluing end caps on a piece of 4" PVC and then sawing it in two down the middle. If I have time, I may fiddle with it this weekend. We will see, I have some engineering to do for a client where another contractor FUBAR'd a job that needs to be corrected immediately.
    invisa-bill and JagLite like this.
  6. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go for it Fast1075! It's kind of fun once you get everything up and working. I'm going to make time this winter to upgrade my set up to handle larger parts.
    FWIW I have done 1/2 of a long part at a time and then flipped it to do the other half with a slight overlap. The plating seems to blend really well and it's hardly noticeable.
    fast1075 likes this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Update. (Sorry, no pics) I had the drivetrain apart because the disc brake carrier setscrews got loose again. So I went ahead and broached the brake carrier and sprocket, fitted keys and put it back together. I didn't get my plating setup finished yet, so I just painted the axle after reassembly with mop n glo after I wire brushed it nice and clean. We will see how that goes.

I use it a lot. Fall / Winter is when the larger projects come in. I am getting nice long run times from the batteries. Glad I built it. A lot of people ask where I got it.
    Amphib, Beezer, Malamute and 2 others like this.
  8. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice build. You've got something unique that works well for its intended use. Probably better than what you could have bought and for a lot less $. Swappable batteries is a really nice touch. Have a couple charged spares for just in case. You can just keep right on gettin it around the job site.
  9. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    Excellent!

And I hear ya. I hate hydraulic fluid too.
    Stuff comes straight from the depths of hell.
  10. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Just found this project today..got a bone for ya..hope not to late...learned this one on my first motorized project..back in the early 60's..
    Grand Dad built us boys a go cart three wheeler out of a reel type lawn mower...Reo engine?
    Anyway, he cut the blades off and bent some water pipe for a frame and used an old tricycle for the front wheel.
    The problem with this motorized cart was it did not steer worth a damn with both wheels driven.
    The fix was to take a gear out of the drive system to only drive one wheel.

A few years pass and and I ran into the same problem with a go cart I built with a live axle.
    Engine was from my HD 165cc Hummer(Super 10) 2 smoker.
    Frame was too stiff the flex the frame and lift a wheel to turn and the live axle would just plow the front tires to the point where it would not turn with out a fight.
    Fix then was also to drive one wheel only.

Cool little project you have...I might have went two wheel design..less weight yet...

Cheers!
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input DD. I had thought that thru and only the right wheel drives. The left wheel freewheels. Because of the triangulation, it will turn left from a stop easier than a right turn. If I am already moving, it makes no difference. It is very nimble.
    JagLite and DiggerD like this.
  12. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Nice work!! If that paddleboard launched torpedos... I’d buy one !
  13. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Trying to put a start on another project. A really low budget thing made from Chinese scooter junk. For almost free, I got a low mileage really battered up looking scooter with a long case Minarelli based engine that someone had been throwing parts at, but missed the fact that the ignition wasn't working because of a loose wire. No title. Found a Ruckus clone with a blown motor, but has a title. Thinking fake ruckus with 70cc Minarelli engine. The donor even came with a decent expansion chamber. I made it blow smoke today. Haven't heard a 2 smoke run in ages. This will not be a quick project.
    wilfred, JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  14. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pictures, we want pictures! :dirtdog
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Like I said, this will not be a quick thing if it even works at all. But I have a glimmer of an idea. I was going to do the build and take pictures along the way and post them up. But I will post this picture of two junkers in sad shape. The ruckus clone is bodged up worse than expected. The only advantage it has is a clean title. We will see how it goes. I am having some health issues, so the all day thrash sessions are pretty much a thing of the past, and I still work 5 days a week. But here are the two saddest scooters you will see.

TWO JUNKERS.jpg
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I started to tear the scooters down. The blue one is a Keeway with the Minarelli 50cc 2 stroke engine. The speedo lens was completely white. I took the cover off, and when I turned on the key, it actually worked! Odometer says it only has 2,860 miles on it!

keeway mileage.jpg
    wilfred and JagLite like this.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I need to tear down and sort all the parts. I found plenty of tech info on the Minarelli power train, and parts are plentiful and cheap. The frames are very similar width wise, and it looks like I can section out the engine mounts from the keeway frame and make them fit the fake ruckus frame to mount the top pivot Minarelli unit in place of the bottom mount GY-6. It looks like a lot of the parts are generic and most likely interchangeable. The ruck clone has ugly skinny wheels. The keeway has nice wider wheels, and uses 120/70-12 front tire and 130/70-12 rear tire. The forks look identical. The keeway fork tubes are rusted. The fake ruck forks just look dirty, so some clean n buff may take care of that.

I really want to tear into this. But in my trade, a holiday weekend (MLK Day) means Suntrust Banks wants all the AC equipment replaced, so there goes my weekend to play. Too tired after work to do anything.
    Fast Idle, JagLite and Yellow Dog like this.
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    At lunch I had just enough time to pull the subframe off the clone. After that I had access to the engine. Something is wrong with the starter circuit, the solenoid will not engage. So I took my most trusted battered up screwdriver and jumped the solenoid. A little shot of starter fluid and it cranked up! But it blows smoke out of the crankcase vent. A lot of the clone is destined for the recycle bin.
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Found a couple of hours today to fiddle around. I put the fuel system to operating condition on the Keeway. It fired right up! (I had previously made it run with start fluid). Rode it up and down the alley behind the shop. Once it cleared out, it ran fine and sounded good. I then went on with working on the teardown. Disconnected the electrical stuff and pulled the wiring harness to make way for the frame chopping.

When I got the clone, it came with a new exhaust system in a box. Old exhaust system was missing. I decided to install the new exhaust so I could ride it. Turns out when the old exhaust "went missing", it had a stud broken off in the head. To compound things, someone tried to remove it with a chisel and a sledgehammer. So clone powertrain goes in the recycle bin. Not worth fixing, certainly not worth a head.

Next chance I get, I am tearing the clone down to the frame and taking off the engine mounts, shock mounts and some other junk to clean it up. Then I am chopping the mount section of the Keeway frame and using it to transplant the motor into the clone frame. I still have to pull the electrical junk off the clone and strip it down to bare frame roller so I can work on the fabrication.
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Snuck to the shop for a couple of hours. Tore down the clone to bare frame. That thing had all kinds of "rigged up" done to it. Tail light was broken off and wire tied on. wiring hacked up. I love the flat black over dirty red paintBut the frame is ok. Going to work on sectioning out the engine mounts from the Keeway frame next opportunity. Then it is torch n grinder time.

stripped frame.jpg
    joenuclear, JagLite and JimVonBaden like this.