Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    You appear to have some mad fabrication skills, access to tools plus shop and vision. Most people see junk you see project! Good stuff and ideas!
  2. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, but there are far more talented people here than me. This will be the longest running project for me since the Ninzuki. Mainly from all the clean up. The plan is to get everything fitted up mechanically first, than send the frame and wheels out for powder coat. After that is the mind numbing wiring it back up. I have to fit an oil tank for the 2 stroke oil injection. The clone has the fuel tank (thankfully completely rust free!) in the floor board, and it used a vacuum fuel pump. If that same system will work with the 2 smoker, half the battle is won. Otherwise I have to fit a seat frame fuel tank.

The headlights on the clone are trashed. Broken plastics and one corroded reflector. I have a glass lensed headlight for a '95 kanatuna that was the front end donor for the ninzuki. So I most likely will get a cyclops light. I have a set of 3500 lumen H4 led lights lying around, and that is what the zuki headlight uses. Found a new air filter assembly, cables, etc. The switch gear from the keeway has seen too much of the great outdoors, but the clone stuff is usable, if faded. Anyway, one thing at a time.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After I removed the fender, I found that the forks I thought were ok are rusted badly. But I found a set of new in box ones on ebay and ordered them. The engine is coming out of the keeway after work and the frame parts I need for the swap are getting sectioned out. Also found a set of new old stock switch gear for if I need it.
    JagLite likes this.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    From another forum. This is my general idea. This uses a Honda Ruckus frame, but shows what I am after.

2t ruckus.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Had time after work to take one of favorite toys, the porta-band to the keeyway frame to cut out the engine mounts. See the expansion chamber on that thing? It is the factory pipe, and it is a FAKE expansion chamber. Internally it is a baffle muffler. Sneaky bastiges. It's going to get a real pipe if the build makes it that far.

frame chop.jpg
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I cut the tops off the sectioned mounts and set the clone frame on the motor. I have a lot of tabs and stuff to lop off before it will go together properly. But any progress is some progress.

FIRST FIT UP.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Had time before work to chop off the brackets that were in the way of the motor mount on the right side.

chopped brackets.jpg
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Had time after work to prep the frame where the tabs were in the way. Next will be to prep the mounts and work on tacking them in place. The original red powder coat was ON THERE!

prepped frame.jpg
    JagLite and DownDaRoader like this.
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I got the engine mounts located and welded, and the shock mount prepped and tacked in place. The hardest part was getting the metal cleaned. The powder coat on both frames was tenacious. Not my best welds ever, but they will not fall apart. :lol3 I made no effort what so ever trying to take good pictures. Next is the front end. I was ging to use the Keeway forks, but the stem is very different. The clone forks are about 10mm narrower, so I have to figure out what to do to make the Keeway wheel, fender, and speedo drive work. That is for tomorrow. Time for a biscuit!!!

welded motor mounts.jpg welded shock mount.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got a little more done Saturday. I can roll it around. I got my forks in today to replace the rusty ones. Also some tire valve stems. The tail light came in damaged, so back to amazon. Still have some fab work to do before I strip it down and send the parts off to powdercoat. Lots of tabs and brackets to cut off and smooth down. Have a set of Avon Vyper Strykes coming in. After I finish the fab work, the wheels go to coat before I put the new tires on. Got all the stuff together to take a shot at Zink coat for the hardware. When I pull the thing apart, the light corrosion on the engine gets a soda blast.

rough roller.jpg forks n stuff.jpg

Attached Files:

wilfred, joenuclear, Beezer and 2 others like this.
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    New Rubbers! :photog
    NEW RUBBERS.jpg
    wilfred, joenuclear and JagLite like this.
  12. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    dang..... now I'll have to be on the lookout for one of those...
    JagLite likes this.
  13. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Today I had half a day off. I got the oil tank mounted, Removed the exhaust, removed the rear wheel, figured out what is needed to make the forks work ang get the wheel centered. Took the right fork to my machinist buddy to cut back the axle boss so the tire will center, dismounted both tires, and prepped the wheels to go to powder coat. I just need to make a blank off plate to mask the brake drum on the rear wheel. No pictures today, I'll post some more this weekend.
  14. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's more than I get done in two weeks on my projects! :baldy
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I got the wheels masked so the bearing races, rear wheels spline and brake drum do not get blasted or coated. Doesn't look like much, but took longer than it should have to scrounge the stuff. The thru bolts are coupled internally so they can be unscrewed and taken apart because they will not get coating on them. It would be next to impossible to unscrew the nuts after they have been coated. A lot of the mung on the wheels is just dirt, they will clean up just fine. They are getting coated satin black.

Worked on the front brake stuff for a bit. Caliper piston was stuck. Got it loose and apart. Used my buff wheel and compound trying to polish the piston. The piston unfortunately has a couple of spots where the rust got thru the chrome, so into the scrapper, and I ordered a new caliper and master cylinder. The brake disc is in good shape and cleaned up nicely. Hopefully by the end of the week, I will have the wheels back, tires mounted, steering stem blasted and painted, and the front end assembled. The front tire won't have much clearance between the fork legs, but it will clear. Front wheel bearings and seal are in good shape. New rear shock due in tomorrow.

masked wheels.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Drats! Too busy to do anything today. Couldn't find time to take the wheels to the coater. Parts that were supposed to be here today didn't make it. The up side is the MRI I took 2 weeks ago shows no lung cancer! My doctor didn't crab at me about anything today! So.....Onward Thru the Fog!!!!
    wilfred, joenuclear, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  17. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    The upside gave you a terrific day today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    New shock just got here.

scooter shock.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Now the front brake parts are here! Took the wheels to the powder coat shop at lunch. They said two weeks! Booooooo!

scooter brake parts.jpg
    Renaissanceman and JagLite like this.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Is it the weekend yet? I got some material to build the tail light bracket/tag holder/turn signal mounts. Need to mount the fuel pump bracket. Going to stop by the coaters today and poke them with a stick. I ordered some Lights I think I can make work, and am still waiting on a new switch kit. So, <crickets> not much has happened.
    wilfred likes this.