Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy surprise! Got the wheels back way sooner than expected. A friend owns a tire shop, so I took the wheels and tires there to get mounted. The wheels came out nice!
    wheels and tires.jpg
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    And mounted! Small steps.

mounted wheels.jpg
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New rubber always looks great and makes us happy.
    Baby's got new shoes! :D
    Fast Idle and fast1075 like this.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Other than getting the tires mounted, I got nothing done over the weekend besides machining down the speedo drive. I had taken the right fork to a machinist buddy to have the axle boss machined back to center the tire. He has been sick and got backed up. I rethought it and removed the .058 needed from the speedo drive instead. I came down with a nasty cold, and am not going to mess with anything that makes dust or fumes until I am over it.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Stuck at home, looking for the truck that ran me over. Looks like my flu shot was somewhat less than effective. Got another bit in today. Mostly on a whim I bought a pair of LED lights. Thinking of square peg in round hole. Keeping the round headlight guards, and mounting the square lights behind.
    square lights2.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Still fighting the flu. But I did get a tiny bit more done. Assembled the speedo drive I machined down, machined a new spacer, cleaned up the brake disc, remounted it after chasing the threads and polishing the mount bolts. I may take a few more thou off the spacer when I take it back apart to clean and paint the fork legs and tree. Went from a 90/90-12 front to a 120/70-12. It just fits, with about 1/4" on both sides. I like the look.

clone front left.jpg clone front right.jpg
    busa1300, joenuclear, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I pulled the front end back apart. Blasted and painted the tree. Cleaned up the fork legs and painted them. The high mount front fender from the clone is cracked where the mount bolts go. It bolts to the underside of the tree with 3 bolts. I may be able to sandwich it between two pieces of steel and use it. The front fender from the scooter looked hideous from the multi time spray bomb paint jobs followed by years of weathering. But it isn't cracked, so I sanded it down and sprayed on the first coat of primer.

After that, I played with dangerous chemicals. I wanted to save the flange bolts for the pinch clamps on the tree. They were really rusty. I wire brushed them, soaked them in muriatic acid, scrubbed them, cleaned them with denatured alcohol and rinsed with distilled water. I had set up my plating bucket, so I gave it a try. I got the zinc to stick, and scrubbed them to a fairly decent finish. The pitting is too bad though. After that I cleaned up the fender mount brackets and plated them too. Again, they were pitted, so after drying and prepping them I painted them with the same metallic silver paint as the forks.

I still have a learning curve on the plating thing, and think I need a better power supply. Mine is not adjustable, and the pieces foamed a lot under power.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    plating3.jpg
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    bolt plate.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  10. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hang in there you'll get it figured out.
    An adjustable supply is definitely the way to go.
    Those don't look to bad, brush them up and see how they look!
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I gave the plating tank another run after using some different zinc strips. The solution had completely eaten three strips about 6" x 3". I used 2 strips of lab grade zinc this time. Came out very different. The bolts were so rusty before I began, the 8.8 on two of the bolts was eaten completely up. 15 minute dip, buffed on a stainless steel fine wire wheel. The "roughness" is pitting. Looking hopeful for hardware in better condition to begin with.

plated bolts.jpg
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I had ordered a set of steering head bearings because the lower bearing and race are dinged. Bearings are the wrong size. Ordered then by frame model number. I guess there is more than one configuration for that model. I had not taken the old races out in case I damaged them and could find no replacements. Luckily the bearings only costed $10.00 and part of the set will work in the 3 wheeler.

I removed the races and made some measurements. Ordered another set of bearings that will be in Tuesday. The lower bearing race is 50mm OD and 30mm ID. All Balls Racing has a chart for bearings by size, and as plan C, if needed I will order that set. Did some frame work, removing tabs, smoothing weld spatter, etc. The engine won't fit in my blast cabinet. It has corrosion on the cases. I am going to go to Harbor freight and buy a portable kit and a bag of soda to blast the cases, then paint them. There are a pair of springs that go in the engine isolation mounts that were rusty. Normally I replace small stuff, but they are not available. So I media blasted them and zinc plated them.

Frame and stuff goes to the coater next week. Reassembly begins after that. I need to clean up the wiring harnesses, and decide if I am going to refinish the switch gear, or replace it. The fortunate thing is compared to normal motorcycles, import scooter parts are dirt cheap, and this is a budget build. Old man on fixed income shit. :-)

I had asked about exhaust pipes in a Scooter Forum, where a member showed a picture of the stock exhaust that looks like an expansion chamber cut open to reveal muffler baffles in it. Another guy claims that he cut one apart, cut all the stuff out, welded it back together, and it works great as a chamber. I have the technology so I will cut it open after I get the roller reassembled, take measurements and see how the cone angles, lengths, etc look.

Maybe I can work on cleaning the engine in the morning. It is raining now so outdoor stuff has to wait.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After the rain quit, I went to the shop to start cleaning up the engine. Flipped it over to remove the center stand and seal the exhaust port. The piston skirt seen thru the exhaust port does not look happy. It had seized at some point. Looks like the big bore kit has moved up a notch in pecking order. Two rounds of degreaser and I called it quits for today. Going to pull the rotor and stator before I do any more cleaning.

The springs I zinc plated came out pretty nice.

springs.jpg
    Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  14. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Rain held off this morning. Cleaned up the crusty engine. Soda blasted the corroded parts, then painted it with semi gloss black 500 degree engine paint. There is a gasket behind the stator that seals the oil pump drive cavity, which of course tore up when I pulled the stator. Cleaned up the stator and rotor. Stator ohms out ok. Looks a lot better than it did. Ordered a gasket kit. Hopefully I can take the frame to powder coat on Wednesday after I make sure the steering head bearings will fit.
    clean engine.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite, Fast Idle and 2 others like this.
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got more goodies in! Finally have the correct steering head bearings. Bought a rear fender from a Genuine Buddy 50 that bolts right on to the gear case. Messed with the frame a bit more, but not finished yet. I need to get a ventilated respirator. Can't wear a regular dust mask for long at a time. But I will get there eventually!.

new bearings.jpg new fender.jpg
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Frame finally at the powder coater. End of next week they say. Still have plenty of stuff to fiddle with while I wait.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Saturday is chores day, but I worked in a little time to piddle around some. The handlebar mount was one rusty, crusty chunk. I wanted to buy a cool billet mount, but this is an econo build. Dug thru my stash of parts and found a set of handlebar risers and a Renthal superbike bar I got for the DRZ project and never used. The risers were center stud mount, so I drilled and tapped them to work with the handlebar mount.

I still need to take it back apart and clean up the mount better. Like every other welded part, it is covered with weld spatter. But I think it will work out fine.

handlebars ugly.jpg handlebars better.jpg
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Moving along, I got out the wiring harness and switch gear. The harness from the Keeway matches the motor. The switches checked out ok and are in good mechanical condition. They were weathered and corroded in spots. I cleaned them up, masked them off and painted with semi-gloss black paint. Then I clear coated them and installed new screws. The throttle tube is ok, so I'm good to go on that.

I cut the exhaust open, and it is full of baffles and what appears to be a honeycomb catalyst that seems to be plugged up. I had thought I might remove the baffles and weld it back together. I might would if it was the last exhaust pipe in the world. Way too much time and effort involved when it can be replaced with an actual expansion chamber for about $60.00. So into the scrap pile it goes.

refinished switches.jpg cut up muffler.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After lunch, I reassembled the forks. I wanted to change the oil in the forks. I have a service manual for the donor forks. When I checked to find out either how much oil to use or how high should the level be, the manual said the forks are not serviceable! Bull nuggets, they are just short, tiny damper rod forks! I drained the existing oil (there was no evidence they had ever leaked), measured the oil and refilled the forks with new 10 weight of equal volume.

I need to cut a piece of pipe to seat the lower bearing race, and mask and touch up the paint on the legs. Basically waiting on the frame back. Also, the donor had a factory alarm/immobilizer. Basically on one of these if you unplug it, the only thing you lose is function of the kill switch. I unpinned all the un-needed wires and jumped the kill wires to restore function. Cleaned the wire harness. All the wiring is good, and everything is flexible, so it gets reused. The keeway had the battery in the floor, and the clone has the battery in the box on the frame head. Somewhere I have some 8 gauge instrument wire to extend the battery cables.

Still have to clean and paint (or send to powder coat) the seat frame, front and rear racks, and headlight stay. So, lots or work still, but soon I start my "Done" checklist as it goes back together. fixed forks.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    fender fits too.jpg

Salvaged fender fits. It is in ugly rough primer right now. I ran out of time for today. Not much else to do until I get the frame back and can start bolting parts back on.
    JagLite likes this.