1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still no frame back from the coaters. I knew the piston had issues from looking into the exhaust port after I removed the muffler. So I pulled the cylinder off. So easy in a 2 smoker!. This one suffered a classic lubrication failure. The rings are not stuck, it is clean under the crown, dome is fine. It was worn when it happened. Wear above the top ring on the exhaust side. Evenly scored on both sides. Still has visible machining marks on the areas not scored if you look closely.

Either the oil pump quit, or they ran it out of oil. Oil tank was full of oil. I think they ran it out of oil, seized it, then filled the oil up, but couldn't get it to run. Doesn't matter, I just ordered a cylinder kit, and pipe. Had to pull it apart to make sure the wrist pin size.

PISTON1.jpg PISTON2.jpg
    JagLite, Fast Idle and villageidiot like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got the frame back! I think it looks a little better than it did. Went with semi gloss to hide some of the imperfections better.

FRAME.jpg
    wilfred, nuggets, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Had an hour after work. Cleaned out the steering neck (I capped it before I took it to the coater, but the steering lock goes thru a hole in the side. I just wanted to make sure the area the bearing races fit didn't get blasted or coated) so it is ready for the bearings. Chased the threads in the frame and battery box, mounted the battery box, and test fit some new fasteners. Back at it tomorrow!

cleaned frame.jpg clean battery box.jpg
    nuggets, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Made a little more progress. The steering head bearings fought me tooth and nail. Lets just say the parts are somewhat less than "precision" Got the motor hung, forks on. It rolls again. The picture is crappy. I simply was too wore out to move it to a more photogenic location. The next work will be on my lift, so better pictures.

going back together.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite, Fast Idle and 3 others like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Today, I spent the morning screaming at the TV watching the MotoGP races. After lunch I decided to tackle the kick stand. Someone had welded the pivot bolt to the kick stand because the threads were stripped. I had ground it apart during disassembly. I cleaned up the kick stand, ground off the weld and painted it. Not gorgeous, but it is a kick stand. Needed a shoulder bolt with 14mm shoulder, and 10mm fine threads. Didn't have one, but I did have a 14mm axle that I drilled out and cut off to make a 10mm x 14mm sleeve. The springs were ok but rust, so they got a little attention.

kick stand stuff2.jpg
    nuggets, Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    After dinner it was still daylight. YES! for Daylight Saving Time! I went back to the shop. Mounted the side stand. Springs popped right on. Then I mounted my new ignition switch. It will take a little adjustment to line up. That is for after I do the bodywork. I had removed the battery box cover/front cover and just set it aside. Checking it today, I found 4 or the mount tabs broken, but there. Looks like someone tried to take it apart with some screws still in. Note the black spay paint from the "Craigslist Custom" work by a previous owner.

Using the ultra scientific "swab a hidden area with ABS glue to see what happens revealed the panels are ABS or a related material. I glued all the cracks shut and put all the tabs back. I will order a sheet of 1/8" ABS from McMaster Carr, cut some reinforcements and glue them in. It will be stronger than new.

kickstand mounted.jpg new keyswitch.jpg bodywork.jpg
    JagLite, villageidiot and Fast Idle like this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable! I had ordered a big bore kit on Thursday 3/7/19 after I got home from work from a vendor on E-bay. Package coming from Taiwan via DHL. Just got a delivery alert that it will be here today! Amazing. The expansion chamber I ordered on Thursday is coming from California. It won't be here till Wednesday.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Fresh from Taiwan. Looks good. A little bit of beveling on the ports, and good to go. bore kit.jpg pistons.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite and busa1300 like this.
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Going thru my stuff, had a Homer Simpson moment D-uh! Cylinder kit did not include a new pin bearing. Ordered. My ABS sheet came today, and a tail light. Pipe is supposed to be here tomorrow. Other stuff to trickle in in a few days. Will pick up a can of ABS primer tomorrow. Hope to get the top end back together in a day or so, and the pipe fit up. Considering isolating the ground on the stator, and going full wave rectifier/regulator. I'm sure my LED headlights will appreciate it. Still on the fence about the lights, but I have a lot to do first.
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    floating the ground will give you a few more watts to play with. the LEDs won't care either way. what did it have for a voltage regulator? anything?
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Typical Chinese scooter set up. Does not appear to have a regulator. The headlights are AC powered. The rectifier (as it is called in the wiring diagram) is a 4 wire. (battery, ground, two wires to stator).

rectumfire.jpg
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    New arrival! I've got pipe.

new pipe.jpg
  13. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 Wires does not mean it doesn't have a regulator. Typically the regulators are shunt total loss. Meaning they dump enough energy so that the voltage remains near 13 volts. That is why they have a big heat sink. Diodes don't need a large heat sink.

Don
  14. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Dummied up the pipe and set the tail light in place to get an idea of how to make the mount bracket. Definitely going to need to mount the tail light a lot higher. Going to need to trim the fender some and build a bracket for it also.

See the bolt in the currently unused old shock mounts? I have a plan for those too.

dummied up.jpg
    nuggets, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Thanks Don. This is largely new to me. I tend to take things literally. The manual and diagrams call it a rectifier. I cut my teeth on selenium rectifiers in old Hondas that maybe had a bleed resistor to control voltage. I may just run it as it is. If the LED headlights won't run on AC, I will do something then. I takes maybe 10 minutes to pull the rotor if needed. Two screws takes the cover off.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Cleaning up parts. Cleaned up the oil tank. It was nearly full of blue oil, and cruddy on the outside. Was pouring the oil out into the recycle jug, and something went "plop" into the funnel. I wonder if this had anything to go with oil starvation and a galled piston? Looks like someone in the past lost the oil cap and crammed a paper towel in, that got into the tank.

in the oil tank.jpg
    TerraRoot and JagLite like this.
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    is that a technigas next pipe?
  18. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    you probably want a regulator of some kind. there must have been something OEM. LED lights will work on AC, but without a rectifier you only get 1/2 wave. they might flicker at low RPM. in any case, without a regulator you run the chance of over volting some of the electrical. this is especially true if replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs... there is less load, but the generator still makes max output... that means extra current and that means extra heat
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    No, it is supposedly a clone of one. The cylinder is a Motoritec 70 sport cylinder. Supposedly they will work together.
    villageidiot likes this.
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I have a pile of new parts, and haven't had a spare minute to work on it. My shop space is the shop at work. Parts guy uses the shop to store warranty stuff until it either gets returned, or scrapped. Bad thing is attention to the scrap part is a bit lacking. I spent the last two days dumping pallet loads of junk into the recycle dumpster. There were old parts on every rack, roll cart, and shelf that were as much as 10 years old.

Still have a literal ton of crap to toss out, but made room to bring my lift back inside before rainy season hits. Scooter is on the lift. The only thing I have accomplished is I found a drip of gear oil on the rear wheel. Turns out the leak was from a missing o-ring on the lube fill plug. I drained the lube, and aside from some sediment, it looked ok. Looks like a PO put Royal Purple in it. I refilled it with Lucas HP synthetic. Once I get it running, I will change it after a few miles.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can work on it some more. My goal is to get the cylinder on, and the pipe fitted. Going by the Honda shop in the morning while the laundry is washing and got the first bottle of 2 smoke oil I have bought in 30+ years.
    Fast Idle, JagLite and villageidiot like this.