Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the ports in the new cylinder chamfered. The ring end gap is supposed to be .008 and was exactly that, right out of the package. I had ordered a new 12mm small end bearing. The package was right, but the bearing was 10mm. I had kept the OEM bearing, so I checked it out and reused it. The new cylinder has more cooling fins than the original, and without milling it down, no way does it clear the oil pump. I remounted the stator, installed and torqued the rotor after making a holding tool from an old Ford fan clutch wrench.

I deleted the oil pump, and will just premix. At least I won't worry about if the pump is working, and it cleans up the appearance. Reinstalled a pump will be easy if I change the cylinder, and may do so in the future. So, the cylinder is on, the shrouds cleaned, painted and reinstalled. The exhaust will need a little work. I think some bracket slotting, and fiddling will take care of it. Had to stop and source, pick up, and deliver a compressor for a job, so that blew the rest of my day.

Tomorrow, I tackle the pipe again. The welded on bracket on the pipe puts the pipe about 1/4" too far forward to line up. If I can get that done, the next is roughing in the electrical. Some parts have to go in places different from where the donor harness came from.
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Tackled the pipe today. Nothing lined up on the mount. I bolted the pipe to the head with the gasket in place as a start point. Had to slot the bottom hole, and cut out the top. There wasn't enough meat to slot it. Made some gusset plates, tweaked the mount so it lined up vertically, then I installed and welded it gusset plates so everything bolts up without stressing anything. While I had it apart, the silencer did not have a support. I had saved the band and rubber form the old pipe. I made a bracket with a back up nut welded in place and welded it to the pipe. Now everything bolts up, and I'm not afraid the silencer won't break off from vibration.

muffler 1.jpg muffler tacked.jpg muffler fit.jpg muffler welding.jpg
    wilfred, nuggets, balnobbers and 2 others like this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Front light concept. What do you think?

front lighting concept.jpg
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, it matches the turn signals well!
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    It's an evolving thing. I have no idea how this will end up. Any way, happy first day of spring! My main problem is finding time to do anything. I can't seem to be able to focus for two minutes without a distraction from work. Next step is still the wiring. Still collecting parts. At least I found an excellent supplier in Tampa. I usually get my orders next day.

Mechanically, the fuel tank needs a trip thru the blast cabinet to remove some surface rust. The inside of the tank is like new. PO had drilled vent hole? thru the top of the gas cap, which was missing the gasket, and rusty. New gas cap delivered from Amazon Prime for $5.85. Have to clean the wiring harness and retape a few spots and do a couple of modifications. Replacement front fender brackets are unavailable this side of Russia. I will have to repair the old ones. I want to use the low mount fender that actually keeps water off you.

Took off the Renthal bars and stuck on a set of black drag bars. Looks Mo Betta. Neither of the two speedometers were any good. Looking at a KOSO, but may just use my phone with a speedometer app. Then there is the order it from China OEM looking gauge set that reads in KPH, but is cheap. Dunno yet.
  6. TerraRoot

TerraRoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazed at that oil tank paper rag, never seen that happen before!
    villageidiot likes this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Headlight mockup MkII. I think I like this better. Square peg in round hole. Different.

headlights2.jpg
    Grestil, wilfred, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  8. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Finally got a few undisturbed hours today. Cleaned, repaired and reworked the harness. Used the Clone harness. Had to swap out the wiring plugs on the handle bar switches, ignition switch, and CDI. Still need to change the connectors for the stator, but won't until I put the harness back in, hopefully tomorrow. I will be running new positive wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. The 8 gauge wire I have is too stiff, so I ordered some 6auge welding cable. The existing wire from battery to solenoid is at best 10 gauge.

scooter harness.jpg
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I put the harness in, I'm glad it has that giant wiring box in the front. Wiring, ECM, Voltage regulator, horn, and battery. All have to fit there. When I hooked up the stator, I fortunately had two wiring diagrams. One matched the stator wiring, and the other matched the harness. Mounted the coil, hit all the grounds, to chassis and engine. Mounted the battery and turned on the switch. Horn hooted!, starter spun the motor, Power to the lighting circuit, and even the turn signal wiring had power, and the flasher was working with no load. WHOA! I thought!. Pulled the plug and checked for spark. Boooo! Retraced everything. Finally figured out that in the cave of gloom, Black/white stripe, and Blue/white stripe looked the same until I used my head band headlight to see.

Swapped the wires, and it sparks. And in spite of the flimsy/thin wiring to the starter, it spins vigorously even with the plug in it. In the picture the tail light and brake light are both on. The camera makes it look brighter than it is. I tried the turn signals (tail light has integral signals), and they are truly puny. Had to walk around and look directly form the rear to see them. That tail light is going in the parts box, and I will find one that can be see in broad daylight.

But huge, major strides today! Before I go home, I will sand blast some rust off the gas tank, and paint it with epoxy paint. Tomorrow after work, I start on the fuel system.

lights work.jpg
    JagLite, JimVonBaden and villageidiot like this.
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Last thing for the day. Time for a biskit!

painted tank.jpg
  11. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Fuel pump mount bracket fabbed and test fitted.

fuel pump bracket.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Bracket painted, remounted and plumbed. Still have to cut in the fuel filter. But a little more done.

fuel pump plumbed.jpg
    Nttra and JagLite like this.
  13. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Some electrical stuff came in. There is only one fuse, a 10 amp for horn, tail, turn signals, and instrument lights. It live inside the screwed together wiring box. I bought an inline fuse holder and a 10 amp circuit breaker. I also got a 5 pack of 3 wire connectors for the headlights, tail lights, and turn signals. I will be using the dual lights. Will use an isolation diode to run one light for low beam, and both lights for high beam.

lectrical.jpg headlight wiring.jpg
    Nttra and JagLite like this.
  14. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Smart, very smart! :thumb
  15. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Projects like this are like an all white puzzle. Fit one piece and nothing matches the other side. That miserable tail light had a very nice mount bracket. I had another LED tail light that is bright, but no bracket. So I Marked, cut, belt sanded, drilled, filed, sanded, and ended up with a pretty nice tail light.

I was planning to reuse the rear brake cable. I cleaned it up, fixed a couple of nicks with marine heat shrink. Then it turned out about a foot too short. New, longer cable on the way. I had also planned on reusing the existing throttle cable. Found a couple of strands frayed. New throttle cable on the way. When I get the throttle done, I am going to run the engine, at least on the stand.

I set the seat frame and seat in place. Unless I lower or buy a lowered seat frame, the drag bars are too low. Back out come the Renthals. I scuffed them up and painted them black. I have been working on cleaning up the under pan and floor board covers. No cracks or damage, just dirty and dull. Going to try using adhesion improver and painting them. Pictures next time.
    rantingsmith, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got my new cables and some diodes in today. Have to machine an adapter to make the throttle cable work. The diodes came in a 20 pack for $6.68 shipped. I will have 19 spares. Need one? They are 10 amp Schottky blocking diodes.

moar parts.jpg
    Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  17. fast1075

Oddometer:
    At lunch I decided to try the new throttle cable. The housing is plenty long enough to reach. BUT. The cable did not have enough stick-out. I measured how much extra stick-out I needed (55 mm). I shortened the housing by pulling the Ferrell off, and using my dremel to deeply notch the cable housing on both sides, then break the housing into a multitude of half moon pieces. Trim back the liner, and pressed the Ferrell back in place. It works. Didn't nick or fray the cable either. No pics of the job. Pics of some of the pieces of the cable housing.

cable cut.jpg
    villageidiot, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  18. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Didn't work on it at all Saturday. Today I got some stuff done. Made spacers to fit the headlights in the buckets. Couldn't resist putting power to them. Ran the cables. Drilled the handlebars for the switch tabs to fit. Remounted the bars, installed the switch gear. Made a mount bracket for the tail light and mocked it in. I will weld it to the rack before powdercoat. I mixed up some fuel and filled the fuel line to the carb with an eyedropper.

Cranked it, ran it briefly. Not long enough to call it a heat cycle. The fuel pump pulled fuel from the tank to the pump, and went no further. I just ordered a replacement fuel pump, that will be here Tuesday. If that takes care of the issue, I am turning to the body panels. I ordered material for a new front brake line. I have some wiring loom coming tomorrow to make the visible wiring look better. I got a new set of hand grips. Going to try bar end mirrors. Had a set. bar ends.jpg

headlight test.jpg wide view.jpg
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The new fuel pump came in this morning, so at lunch I hooked it up. It Works!! It blows smoke! But of course the mount hole centers are different, so I have to rework the mount bracket. :photogSo, Onward Thru the Fog!

mr natural.jpg
  20. fast1075

Oddometer:
    new pump.jpg
    wilfred, villageidiot and JagLite like this.