Something completely different

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by fast1075, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 4 day weekend coming this weekend! My plan is to get the lighting finished and test fit everything else, then take my first test ride. If that goes as planned, the unfinished parts come back off to be finished. The seat frame, headlight brackets, and rear rack will go to powder coat. The plastics will get reinforced where they had been cracked, and then repainted. Set needs to be recovered. While it was sitting the PO's cat used the seat as a scratching post.

I did crank it up after work yesterday, and I did the first heat cycle on the engine. Sounds good, cranks instantly. So far so good.
    JagLite, Fast Idle and Tanshanomi like this.
  2. fast1075

Oddometer:
    The original Something Completely Different is still undergoing stress and longevity testing. Here are my two best test pilots at work.

testers.jpg
    wilfred, JagLite, Tanshanomi and 4 others like this.
  3. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Rethought the tail light and rear turn signal mount. Built it, assembled and wired it, test fit. Everything works. I tried several times to get a picture of the sequential turn signals. Maybe later I will do a vid.

tail light bracket.jpg wired tail light.jpg mounted tail light.jpg
    rantingsmith, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  4. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I took a bunch of pictures, then pulled a Homer Simpson (D'uh) and deleted them by mistake. I machined spacers to properly mount the headlights. The spacers will get powder coated along with the rest of the metal work. I fabbed and installed front turn signal mounts, mounted the front signals, and wired them and the headlights up. Good to go there. Next was to reassemble the scooter to see what else gets modified.

It runs, has lights, and moves on it's own. Decided to ride it down the road. The seat is wide and has good support, but is too tall for my short legs. I had jetted it way rich. Beyond 1/3 throttle it four strokes. I can fix that. All he body panels fit OK, but need attention. I am going to ride it like it is while sorting out the carb, then put it back on the table and pull off the parts that get painted or reworked.

I rode it about 6 miles. It runs out of fuel if you ride much above slo-poke speed. I thought it might have been a fuel tank vent issue. It is not. Running with the tank cap loose does not resolve it. I am going to pull the carb and go down on the main jet until it clears up. My new vacuum fuel pump may not be big enough. I'll figure it out.

I am definitely going to lower the seat. It is nimble and fun. Just right for around town once I work the kinks out. Rode it to a local park for a picture.

freerange.jpg
    wilfred, busa1300, Fast Idle and 5 others like this.
  5. fast1075

Oddometer:
    I pulled the carb, and went from a 90 main to an 80. Removed the fuel filter I was using, and installed a new larger one. Much improvement. It will still starve for fuel if you hold it wide open, but will maintain a steady cruise now. I ordered an new Mikuni pump with better performance. I will try a 75 main after I get the fuel pump installed. You may have noticed there is no front brake line. Been riding it flat track style. :photogTwo of the Earl's line fittings I ordered are back ordered. I may just bite the bullet and pay a visit to "lines n hoses" and have them make a line.
    JagLite and villageidiot like this.
  6. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Rode it some more before putting it on the lift. Rode it home for lunch. 20+ miles on it now. Then I rode it back to the shop. Measured up for a brake line. Pulled the battery box cover off and patched the back side where it had cracked. Cut a chunk of ABS, heated it up, clamped it in place, then glued it down. It won't crack THERE again. Tomorrow, I'll pull and clean the black plastics and work on paint prep.

carport.jpg patch.jpg
    wilfred, Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  7. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Got a new brake line made up. Installed and bled. Nice and firm. New caliper, new master cylinder and line. Even new caliper bolts. Removed the fuse and installed the circuit breaker. Took the seat to the upholstery shop.

New Mikuni fuel pump due in tomorrow. I'll go down half a size on the main, and move the clip up a notch. I work on it at the shop, so today turned into a "ya got a minute?, I need to ask about..." Didn't get a chance to pull and clean the plastics. So, tomorrow I will just work half a day to even it out.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're not careful, you might end up with an incredibly cool little scooter by the time you're done.
  9. fast1075

Oddometer:
    New front brake line installed.

brakes.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  10. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Installed fuel pump Mk-II this afternoon. Took the main jet down from 80 to 75. Now it pulls strong, and does not starve for fuel. Tomorrow I will do some plug viewing to see where we are on the main jet. Happy so far. Seat is back from upholstery. The new front brake is amazing. It has better stopping power than the modified front brake had on my PCX-150. Very, very smooth and linear.

The CVT needs tuning. It comes in way too quick. I haven't even pulled the cover and checked it yet. It works glass smooth so far. Going to install a set of 4 gram Dr. Pulley sliders, service it, and install a new belt. It rolls with no resistance at all. Easiest thing to push around ever.
    JagLite, Tanshanomi and Fast Idle like this.
  11. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    If you still have jetting problems, you might think about a secondary holding gas tank that would give you gravity feed to your carb, and plenty of gas to burn.

Mount it above the carb and pump the gas from the lower tank....or just mount a tank under the seat for a full gravity system.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Good ideas, DiggerD. If I have to go that route, I'll make 50 Cal panniers, with the fuel tank in one, and the oil tank in the other. I did run into more fueling troubles today. Yesterday It seems I was closing in on success. Today after work, I planned on a jetting run. It cranked right up. While I was gearing up, it died. Fuel line to the pump, full, pump to carb empty. Let it sit a minute, and it would crank and idle, but not rev up.

Pulled the line off the pump that goes to the tank (clear line), and the fuel zipped back into the tank. Took the fuel pump apart, nothing wrong with it, clean as a whistle, diaphragm perfect. The tank had appeared to be in new clean pristine condition on the inside. Drained the fuel into a clean container. Removed the fuel level sending unit, and stuck my bore scope in the tank. Found a piece of the rubber seal from the old gas cap in there, and removed it. Looked some more, thought a saw something else in there. Blew some air in and sure enough, a small piece of plastic, very thin and flexible like a piece of saran wrap. Fished it out with hemostats. Use bore scope and flash light. I am now positive the tank is perfectly clean.

Clean tank, fuel pump is ok. This pump is used on 370cc snow machines, and is commonly retrofitted to 25hp outboards, so I know it should fuel a mildly tuned 70cc scooter. Then I thought about the last variable. The pump needs a pulsating vacuum. The carb has a vacuum port after the slide. The question is, is the port in the venturi or in the straight throat after the venturi? If in the venturi, it would more pull a vacuum than pulse. Tomorrow I will pull the carb and see.

It is possible that the port sees a pulsating vacuum like it needs, but the orifice size is too small to move the volume needed to operate the diaphragm in a full stroke. I will also use my vacuum pump to find out if the gas cap is properly vented. The cap that was on the tank when I got it had a crudely drilled hole in it. I wonder if the PO had been chasing a fueling problem.

There is good news. I got the tank out in literally 2 minutes. This ain't voodoo and black magic. Sherlock Holmes said " Once all else is eliminated, whatever remains is the answer, however unlikely". Onward Thru the Fog!
    wilfred, JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  13. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kind of sounds like a tank vent issue since it ran good for a while. You try running it with the cap off?
  14. fast1075

Oddometer:
    That was the first thing I tried.
    Fast Idle likes this.
  15. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    A vacuum leak somewhere?
  16. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Learn something new every day. The properly called "pulse fuel pump" that worked fine on the four stroke engine that came in the clone worked because in a 4 stroke engine there is a pulse wave in the intake tract. On my reed valve 2 stroke engine, there is not enough pulse under most conditions to operate the pump. On a 2 stroke, the pump needs to see crankcase pressure. There is no port or tap in my engine into the crank case, and I don't want to disassemble the engine to find a place to put one. For now, I will rig a gravity feed tank up by strapping the tank to the rear rack to see how that works.
    JagLite, villageidiot and Fast Idle like this.
  17. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not ask where to put it on the appropriate engine forum?

Don
  18. jschance

jschance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might try mounting the tank under the seat. I bought a roached up "Chuckus" and the PO had bolted the tank under the seat when the fuel pump failed.
  19. fast1075

Oddometer:
    Good thought, but the tank is too wide to fit under the seat. The frame is freshly powder coated, and I don't want to cut/weld/drill, or otherwise damage the finish. I have a trunk that I saved when I sold my Elite 110. I am mounting it to the rear rack and putting the tank in the trunk. (At least I think it will fit).

At some point if/when I have the engine apart, I will add a crankcase nipple to run the vacuum pump.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: