Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    ^ So , Honda put a 6 speed box and electric starting only (like the DRZ) in their mid 2000's CRF did they , I must have missed that bit of revolutionary design at the time .

Oh and all the people wondering about the Titanium tank , that is actually std CRF fitment , yep , thats what the MXer runs !
  2. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    I think the wind has a whiff of smouldering herbs!
    Oldfatbeerman and Dutch idiot like this.
  3. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    :cry:cry:cry It was just ONE goat... honest it was... :(:
    Mouse likes this.
  5. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    And anyone who says any different is just an orange fanboi wanker apparently.:lol3

I but current X owners are hoping we still get a registerable X.
  6. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-5-24_18-50-43.jpeg

And the Red ones seem overly happy.

upload_2018-5-24_18-51-16.jpeg
  7. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I do like it, I would be OK with a loss of power for a bit of durability.

If I bought a current CRF and there was a three ringed piston available I would happily whack that in to help with the fragile nature of the Unicam engine, and as Troy said a lot of that extra weight would meet the bin pretty quickly after purchase, but if they have a new X with 6 speed I would be more excited about that. But I can see why this would create a lot more excitement in the US where they are legal only aloud to ride Davidsons...
  8. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhh the bagwhan !
  9. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow , bit of Honda hate going on :hmmmmm ,, that somehow there have been so few changes to the R since early noughties makes it amazing that it’s still such a competitive bike :hmmmmm:hmmmmmwhat a crock of shit

Surely, what we are getting here ( finally) is an updated 450X ( ie fuel injection etc) and its more trail ready cousin the L

Sooo, regarding the L , we have a bike out of the crate with ,,,, 6 speed box , cush drive , fan on radiator etc etc and as far as I’m concerned THE big plus of this motor, seperate engine/ gearbox clutch oils . You can do big hrs with these motors ( for a 450 competive engine) and oils drops out nice :nod

Think this bike is a great start to building a light weight adv bike :beer
  10. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    First I didn't see any Honda hate, just disappointment (and probably some hate:lol3), secondly, no cush drive, just a rubber ring around the sprocket to reduce chain noise, and there is also a new updated X model with a 6 speed, so thats probably the big news everyone is missing.

[​IMG]

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/05/23/2019-honda-crf450x-first-look-9-fast-facts/
  11. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big tank, seat, soft luggage, gearing...sounds a helluva lot likethe farkle list of anything dual sport?
    It's a competitive thumper that wasn't pitched at the enduro market (Enduro being the single track hill climbing crowd) - But a lightweight dual sport from the outset.
    Albeit specifically targeted at the US market but, looks a better option than a DR to me.

A heap of blokes in here bang on about the lack of manufacturers targeting the lightweight adventure market but seem pretty keen to dismiss an obvious attempt at a bike targeted for said market?
    I hope it sells well.
  12. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good point , if they are that close will we ( Australia) with our minuscule market even get both models ???
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    This being Oz (& NZ) please forgive us us for the lack of Wow over a road legal Japanese Enduro machine as we've had the WR for ever.

Further reading of the guff on this does reveal a lot to like, the first stuff I saw was stressing how similar the motor was to the R & X version.

But. 1000km oil changes. 26hp. Worst of both worlds.

I actually think the weight is quite reasonable if it had sensible service intervals. My partner is seriously in the market for a replacement for her WR250R, key criteria are: Not too much heavier. More power. Similar maintenance? 1000km is often not even an entire weekend.

What most people were asking for was a 450 version of a CRF250L . This is an L version of a CRF450X.

Cheers
    Clint
    w3llo, jackbyo, Richarde1605 and 4 others like this.
  14. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What most people were asking for was a 450 version of a CRF250L . This is an L version of a CRF450X.

Cheers
    Clint[/QUOTE]

Exactly what we wanted or a WR450R
    lurkin likes this.
  15. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Tell Him I already got one ............

3 ring pistons....soooooooo 2008.

(No six speed bow though).

holy-grail-french1.jpg

i-5VS3H8g-X2.jpg
  16. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Okay... so who's gonna' gumption up and be the first to put a CRF250L Rally fairing/lights, big tank and a cush drive rear hub on this 450L - while pulling th 8 kg's of extra crud off the stocker...?

'Cause that's pretty much what I did with my brand spankers SE 950R back in 2006... and I ended up with EXACTLY what I wanted in a bike (at that time).

Sometimes I get the feeling (and I'll even include myself in this one - at times) that some of us would complain that our ice cream was melting 'cause it's too damned sunny at the beach... :jkam

I mean... this is just another (increasingly interesting trend) of a MAJOR manufacturer offering us yet another alternative in the marketplace (or at least the yanks marketplace?). Okay, so they took the quick - let's look in the warehouse and see what we've have left over - corporate way of doing so, and went back to the parts bin to tart up the CRF450 (X/R/L) in order to do so. So what? That's all we have been asking KTM to do with the 690 (Adventure) or YAMAHA to do with a WRF450 (R) - for years.

My biggest beef with nearly ALL the Japanese trail/offroad/dualsport offerings the last 10 years or so, was that they've been fobbing off 80's/90's suspension on us - when viable current tech offerings were readiliy available right there in their own parts bins/warehouses.

So don't be too hard on auntie HONDA for at least trying... for those who don't think the CRF450L is exactly what they been asking for... there is still a lot there to work with - farkle till ones heart's content...

For those that think it is NOTHING like they want... well the Euro's have plenty of different hard core woods weapons to choose from.
  17. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry , cooking /eating/drinking cab sav,,, just didn’t hit the correct button with that reply:doh
    Mouse and Jabba600 like this.
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    “Trail bike” same as in ‘ADV’ bike is a broad term.

“Trail bike” is so yesterday.

I don’t love this bike and never will. I will continue to “Trail” my four 8/9 yo ‘enduro’ bikes that weigh less, carry more fuel at a greater engine capacity.
    Jabba600 likes this.
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Doesn't this new one come with a cush hub as well? Or did I miss read that somewhere.