1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Exactly... the CRF1000L Africa Twin was a two and a half - going on - three year procedure as well.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    AUSSIEADV and Hoots like this.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    With ground breaking revolutionary doodads brought over from their Dakar successes.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious about this - address / phone number are Rising Sun MC, but their webpage on the 450L doesn't seem to mention a race kit:

http://risingsuntownsville.com.au/motorbikes-for-sale/1693808-acs.sl10-3/1/0-honda-crf450l-crf

Nothing about a race kit that I can see on the Honda Aus site either

And a web search doesn't seem to bring up a race kit

Where did you see that ad ... ?
  5. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    That seat is a bit skinny!
    _20180927_210046.JPG
    Will be interesting to see how a bigger tank fits on this bike. Looks good in the flesh though. Header pipe is skinny and the bashplate will need to be sturdier if going harder off road.
    _20180927_210023.JPG
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  6. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    "Honda (recent) DAKAR successes" ?? A Quick google/Wicki seach gives the same result as for "French Military Victories throughout history"...

= ZERO. :rofl
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Same amount as KTM MotoGP wins.

And as relevant?
    Sleepyc likes this.
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    sore feelings... much Cruz? :smooch

Nah... it's not relevant... about as irrelevant as most of the make vs make sledging that goes on...

relevance... KTM announced a MOTO GP program in 2014... from ground zero... said they'd be on the grid for 2017... an ambitious task.
    2015/16 R&D testing... 2017 and 18 in the Championship... yes only modest results thus far... Have they broken into top 10 yet...? I don't think so...?

HRC's (new) CRF 450 Rallye DAKAR program announced in July 2012 - where the CEO of the HONDA MOTOR Corporation stood up in front of the assembled motorsports media of the world and stated outright, that they would win DAKAR at their first attempt back; in 2013 - after a 25 year hiatus... the undertone of that being - because they are HONDA. (or words to that effect).

They didn't... then a three year program... and now after six multi-million dollar attempts... still haven't.

No, it is not relevant Cruz... but it is ironic and funny as f#¤%... :rofl
    AUSSIEADV and Dick0 like this.
  9. brangus

brangus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never heard of Napoleon Bonaparte?
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sure I do... they always bring up that one short little fucker... don't they...? :lol3

History is always written by the victor... and the French's case; the particulary favourable (partisan) recollections of French historians and Napoléons reign in post revolutionary France... have made the Bonaparte legacy - to that of legend.

Heard of the Battle of Trafalgar...? He got his arse handed to him in that one... but much like the french history books... it was the poms (victors) who wrote the most about that chapter... :norton

So... where were we again... oh, that's right... Honda have a trick new 450 dual sport on the showroom floor... :augie

Who's gonna' be the first to get a ride on one...? :ear
    Dakar Dan and brangus like this.
  11. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll ask the local dealer about this - it may be that the 'race kit' is just the format for Aus and US bikes - ie why we don't have the 25hp that the Euro version of the bike does
    Dick0 and XRHondafan like this.
  13. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Discovered that I'll need to pay $50 to ride the bike on Sat

The deal is that you get there at 9am, and are then given a slot to ride somewhere between 9:30am and 3:30pm

So might be waiting around all day

Seems like a very dumb arrangement - will wait till there's a demo, and just take that out
    City Gone Bad likes this.
  14. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    It comes with an extra ecu that is not permitted for road use.

Evidently you have to sign away things for Honda to install it
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  15. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure does

Wonder why Honda didn’t have use of a farm etc do riders could ride unabated
  16. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Probably because they don't really need to spend money on getting people to test ride it (think of the hire of the paddock and insurance etc, this way they are getting people to pay there own insurance and hire) , because people will buy this thing sight unseen.

There has already been a heap of people who have decided this is the bike for them by just seeing the name of it.:lol3

I think the first shipment will probably sell out to those people, and then anyone else who is on the fence will probably get a test ride before the second shipment.
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  17. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you’re forgetting something.

The NewX is not being sold in Australia so Honda naturally has pent up demand from Honda brethren. I know you might scoff but Honda still has some loyal reliable followers and others who simply want a new X (L).

No NewX means riders will buy the L and then mod the flock out of it.

Just like it’s always been.

Btw at its peak the oldx sold what 1400-1500 units per annum

I’d say this new bike will take a massive chunk of sales from ktm.
    Farmer Roy and MalleeFarmer like this.
  18. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am One such person. I love my old X and had this bike come out 6 months earlier I perhaps would have bought it instead of giving my X a full freshen up. It had square wheels worn out pegs and had a full rebuild so very costly rebuild. On the down side.. It's the same weight as my old X and I have a 3.2gal tank bashplate oversized radiators With alloy Guards and bark buster Handguards. No doubt it will be a good bike but worth the 14k admission price.. I'm not so sure. Now if they brought the X in with a 11k price and rec Reg only I would buy [​IMG]that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richarde1605 and XRHondafan like this.
  19. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Errr, I said they will sell a shitload of these without paying for expensive demo days, so why should they bother.

Yes people who want a new X will also be forced to buy the L and mod it so that is even more sales they get without the need for demo ride days.

And I'm not forgetting loyal Honda fans, I said there are a shitload of people who are going to buy the L just because it has Honda written on it and they put an L in the name...
  20. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    No, no sore feelings of any kind. Just couldn't see any relevance to this bike or the market it appears to be aimed at.