1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:

Mate, I know you more about everything ever written by anybody about anything plus a bit more, But mate, it does get old. I know nothing about anything but as I recall from school Trafalgar was a naval battle and Napoleon was a Field Marshall. Maybe you were getting confused (perish the thought) about Waterloo? Anyway, I'm back into my shell, waiting for all the bombs and character assassination shots to come in.
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    You're correct... I have gotten Waterloo and Trafalgar mixed up...

No character assasinations required Robbie... there have been plenty of times I've been wrong about stuff - and I have usually admitted every time it's been pointed out to me - to my knowledge... have even "voluntered" it a number of times when I catch a boo-boo myself... so what's your beef?

As far as it "getting old"... no problem mate... a) don't read it... or b) put me on "ignore" function... either way, no problem.
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peace out, that was really funny as I read the first post as a bit of a pisstake recollection, then a response that I can read the same way from people that like bikes, and each other :-)

In the quiet time could discuss bikes???

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    robbiedobbie likes this.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Oil every 1000, wonder if you could push it to 1500-2000

0CBC4445-76BC-4584-A241-40D753D70341.jpeg
    Richarde1605 and Blakduk like this.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a look at / sat on the new 450 yesterday

Very nice - very solid - very red

Seeing it sitting right beside the 450R, you can appreciate similarities and minor differences

As one of the reviewers noted, seat a little wider than a race bike - not a bad thing re' rising cost of perineal surgery

And seems that the suspicion re' race kit was correct - this is just the hardware that changes it from the Euro version to the US/Aus (elsewhere?) version - essentially, from 25 to 45 hp .... the kit hasn't yet got here (as in Canberra) - did wonder whether the bikes that will be used for the Wollongong Honda demo day will have it fitted

But local shop has a demo - free, and can be ridden any time - might be able to extend that to gravel

Local shop sells all the big brands - Honda / Yamaha / Kawasaki / Suzuki / KTM - able to get honest appraisals within each segment - the two CRF450Ls were looking across the floor at two DRZs, almost exactly half the price - salesman (well, saleschild really) wondered about that
    Richarde1605, Dukehunt and Dick0 like this.
  6. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'd have to think so - everything they've done to the motor is about longevity - coupled with 1.45L oil, hard to imagine that 1000km oil changes are needed
    Dukehunt likes this.
  7. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    They do those changes to the engine and still recomend 1000, doesnt make sense

8. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What changes to the engine has it got compared to the old crf?
  9. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Lower compression and 3rd piston ring, not sure if old one had a fan ?, and i suppose the 6th gear could also help oil life a bit if its ridden using it for longer hauls

AUSSIEADV likes this.
  10. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    We wont know for sure if the service intervals can be extended until some oil analysis is done.

Both the road going CRF300 and the dirt orientated CRF250L with basically identical motors both have oil change intervals of 12,000km but then they only have 20 odd ponies each!
  11. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Saw some today

Dealers says they all come 25hp resticted, $13800 on road, first shipment all come free with upgrade ECU and inlet manifold, they all have the bikes they can get this year and no more till jan where upgrade kit could be $1300

He has presold 3 of his 2018 allocated 5.
    Blakduk likes this.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wayne, 12,000 klms ?
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul, $15,100 OR?
  14. FEARNOBEER

FEARNOBEER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be an aftermarket tank already?

Attached Files:

larryboy likes this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    $13800 OR at moment with kit

Maybe theyll discount next year to keep it around that or less
  17. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Well if there was one for the CRF450R (assuming they didn't make major frame upgrades to the R) then it will fit.

i had a quick look and there is a larger tank for the 14-17 CRF450R, and as far as I can tell there was no frame changes to the 18 so I assume the Acerbis tank would fit...

But I please do your own research to see if it would fit because I am not getting one of these bikes I didn't look into it to deeply...

Edit again... IMS and Clark only list a 13-16, so it may have been a misprint on the Just Gas Tanks site...
  18. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I saw one yesterday at Mick Cole Motorcycles in Bega.

Very RED. The seat is narrow. Some of the cable management looked iffy, around the oxygen sensor and main wiring loom where it exits by the left front of the alloy frame.
    The mechanics had assembled the new bike with the throttle cables routed wrongly over the top of the brake line as well, first thing I noticed. I have little confidence in that workshop.

Otherwise, it looks like a Honda. Shiny, new, RED, plasticky, and probably reliable.
  20. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Mick at nomad tanks has gotten on to it quickly.