1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda have apparently said that they are working with IMS on a long range tank
  2. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    There from Nomad tanks.
    Not on his site yet but I'm sure if you sent an email he'd be able to suply details.
  3. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks to be a good bike, the young bloke is thinking of trading the DR250 on one.

What capacity are the aftermarket tanks ?
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but they seem to be getting quite good fuel economy - about 160km trail riding from the std tank
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  5. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    A review from enthusiastic mob at RevZilla

Review text here:

These people are not afraid to talk about the downsides of gear - including the gear they sell

KASUYAHO and Richarde1605 like this.
  6. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read the bike comes with a uncorking kit being ecu etc,
    I think there will be aftermarket ECU's to dial in different HP, which would be pretty cool.
    Less power, last longer between freshen up's, longer distance in oil changes.
    Even thou that oil changes depends on how much throttle a rider gives the bike,
    flog it, then it costs more to run / maintain as we know Hoots.

That reveiw you posted Hoots, seems to be the clickers work in the suspension and not under sprung,
    good to see Honda are taking on a different mentality to suspensions, instead of the unsprung too soft, the way they
    used to do things.

I been looking at getting a boat of late, been checking out outboards.
    Companies have been forced to make there motors very efficient and earth friendly.
    Some of the electronics , engine management is starting to be pretty cool.
    Suzuki with lean burn, Merc with transient spark and so on.
    Why i am saying this is, i think pretty soon we may see a 650 size type bike from Honda,
    just wondering if they will go a single or a twin.
    In a 650 range it would be good if Honda went the same as they have done with the 450 with
    a few different models.
  7. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    LC8TY and Rus like this.
  8. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    This is a quote from a mate currently doing the Darryl Beattie Cape trip. He normally rides a husky 450 and is an expert level enduro rider. High praise from him.

Suspension is really good standard ! Bike turns a lot easier than the 130kg on paper it weighs. Power was surprising for a blocked up muffler etc . Perfect for what we did but no enduro weapon . Unbelievable how quiet it is , no chain slap noise and a stealth muffler .
  9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    That'll do me for a "thumbs up" that HONDA hit the mark, with the CRF450L...

A capable "dual sport" bike, that you can bolt some extra fuel capacity on (if that's what you require).

A good base model, that can be tailored to specific need... with full rego off the showroom.

Yay. :jive
  10. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    We ran an enduro out the farm on the weekend. The Albany dealer took one out so I took the opportunity to have a go on it. It had the de-restricted inlet and ECU to match but crappy trail tyres. So, across the creek, up the dam bank, along a track, through the barley paddock and back and I have an impression. Go's ok, suspension didn't give me any grief and handling was nimble enough. Would do adventure riding duties no worries with the right mods. The enduro riders ( mostly KTM, Husky, 500 to 350 4 stroke and 2 stroke riders) reckoned ok but wouldn't buy one for that use.
    So it's a good trail bike that you would have to modify for long distance travel use. That means the usual big tank etc. Boofy muffler sticks out too far and has a pissy little exit hole, it would have to go. A proper subframe style rack like I made for my son's WR450 when we went down the CSR to carry your gear and things start to look good. Can't say how good the lights are.
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is looking like a good thing

Cost is going to be the only downside at this point

Going to be personal, but a bike like this I'd be doing everything possible to keep the weight off - keep in trail bike / enduro trim - unless intending to do a whole lot of long-distance hauls, just use a Nomad tank on the back of the seat - and no pannier racks - just rackless gear

Hard to know about that muffler - didn't think it looked bulky in the shop - this bike is ultra-quiet, and might be a shame to disturb that

[​IMG]
    Richarde1605 and MalleeFarmer like this.
  12. "A"

"A" numbum

Oddometer:
    I didn't get a chance to check the rear subframe but I doubt it is any more substantial than the WR450. If you have to carry a fair bit of gear for an expedition then it is good to transfer weight to the footpeg area. This worked well and would suit AndyStrapz panniers. Made of 4130 it is really light and strong.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If carrying less than such an effort probably not required as Hoots says. I always like to have compact mufflers because here in WA overhanging bushes in lots of places where I ride are a pain so it's good to keep the luggage in narrow.
    I think this Honda would make a good replacement for my WR250R and would also be better than a DRZ400.
    KASUYAHO and BygDaddee like this.
  13. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:

You could have 1 for Nov 1 you know :D
  14. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interestingly the CRF450L and the ADR compliant WR450F are both 131kg I'd be pretty confident that build quality reliability and versatility would be pretty similar save for the fact that the L takes a little more Oil and possibly in a slightly lower state of tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Richarde1605 and BygDaddee like this.
  15. xrsism

xrsism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Hoots has been waiting for this one

Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just noticed this (above)

But no, not thinking about trading down from the yellow slug - suspect the next bike will either be a 500 or 350EXC

A couple of others at this end might be keen though

[no sound on this machine - will check out that vid later]
    AUSSIEADV and BygDaddee like this.