Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    The local shop here Hoots is Mick Cole Motorcycles, which sadly no longer has Mick Cole there (he retired and sold up). He was terrific, a real pleasure to deal with, and a gentleman to boot.

Interestingly, of all the bikes he had access too, he chose a DR650 as his retirement bike.
    Hoots likes this.
  2. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    I wonder if people are holding off purchasing the 450L now there is a sniff of a 450L Rallye maybe happening?
  3. tomo8r

tomo8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They've labelled it wrong.

People that want a 450cc CRF250L know it's not a 450cc version of that bike.

And people that want a CRF450X see it labelled as a CRF450L and think it's not what they want.
    GSXR and Dean Ohlin like this.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I had a feeling myself that it was Honda's answer to the question that nobody was asking.
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Imagine how much that will cost with the price of the standard L as it is

6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    It is basically the new CRF450X (or as close as we will see to one), and I thought a lot of Honda fans were asking for a CRF450X with 6 speed, and FI.

But yes the name is a big problem, add the "L" traditionally means it is a heavy bike with shit suspension that thrives on lack of maintenance, and I actually thought we would see a lot of these on the road and then blowing up because people treated them like CRF250L (because they are a Honda with an "L" at the end of there name) not realising they will have the same life expectancy of the old X when treated that way...
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    From initial reports about 35000 Euro (ie, not like a CRF250L Rally, but a red KTM 450rr).

(I did read that on the internet though, so take it with a shit load of salt:deal)
  8. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    This turned up yesterday from the US..
    20181207_120730.jpg
    So once the temp dropped, the dust storms abated, and the world returned to normal I fitted it and blew the grip on with comp air lance.
    It is a small improvement over the std throttle tube, seen here..
    [​IMG]
    Small but significant difference in removing the snappy feel, so far so good will wait now to see what Honda recon they can do.
    I was told that a Honda rep acknowledged there is an issue , and things like remapping the ECU were mentioned.
    Hoots likes this.
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some reviewers seem to be saying that the throttle response is only noticeable in first gear

Do you find it too snatchy right across the gears / rev range?
  10. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate. I couldn't resist that quote (taken out of context naturally).
    Hoots likes this.
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've obviously been spoiled by too many hours on that gut-busting TTR250

Give the ordinary bikes a chance
    IVA BIGGIN likes this.
  12. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Up until the Africa Twin of late, any XR or CRF with an L in it was considered the Lame version.

Obviously the R version was Rame.

I would mind buying one and giving it a shot, but a new bike purchase isn't going to happen for a while yet.

They don't seem to be moving from the showroom. Big discount soon?
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I reckon so mate. Cheap bikes coming to you real soon. I wonder how hard it would be for the average home bloke with an angle grinder and a stick welder and half an idea to modify one of them to be able to carry (too much) stuff?

And I always thought the L was for Lemon. Coming from an XR background :raabia.
    GSXR likes this.
  14. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luckily there's plenty of rooster power in all 6 gears Gordilla.
    There are times when you can have too much snatch. :eek2
    Like I said it's a mild but noticeable improvement, probably all you can do modifying the cam. Haven't heard from the dealer yet(no surprises there) either. Still worse in 1st, disappears by 3rd. Another improvement might be at the throttle body cam.
    Enjoying riding it nonetheless, it's the lightness and handling , combined with low speed power control, it'll do me. Oh and did i mention that 7.5L of fuel sucks too!:hide
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Gold!

Keep 'em coming ..........
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    You neglected to mention the KTM Sam.

I rode my TTR250 to Sidenee (gravel to Nowra) and back just to see how it (and I) took it, and it was fine actually, I did the Princes Highway 500k's south no worries coming home. A better seat wouldn't hurt (as much), but otherwise the TTR at 119kg full of fuel bog standard will cut it no worries. The only place you really need to watch for cops is whenever the limit goes under 80 eh.:lol2 A 10 litre tank means around 200 k's tops on the hwy, so stops are plentiful too. This 450 should be able to lug more stuff though, provided Honda have made mount points accessible to the average punter.
    Hoots and Big Willy like this.