Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    A few years back when Rosie got her WR250R I rode that & thought a 450 version would be the ducks nuts. 60000km later I've spent more time working on that fucking Yamaha than I have on my bike during 155000 km of KTM ownership & I'm not so sure...

Cheers
    Clint
    Jabba600 likes this.
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    No
  3. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    The blurb on the Honda Oz site says it has a crush drive.
    OzRider64 likes this.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Cush sprocket is what I read.
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    the precise words used in the article were: :deal

rubber-damped steel sprockets

So... no - NOT a cush drive rear hub.
    lurkin likes this.
  6. lurkin

lurkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spool sport:nah
  7. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    FWIW... I think that the "rubber damped steel sprocket" is an attempt more in line with reducing the bikes overall noise level (chain slap), more than an attempt to provide less strain/transmission longevity of the gearbox (as a cush drive rear hub would).

In the article on the CRF450L advpulse.com/adv-bikes/2019-honda-crf450l-announced/ they make a big old song and dance about the efforts HONDA made to keep noise level down, were foremost in the design brief. :deal

A major factor in getting a bike to be street-legal is passing noise regulations. One part of that test is a drive by sound measurement where the overall sound of the bike, not just the exhaust, is recorded. Rather than just focusing on the noise coming out of the muffler, Honda found other ways to keep the overall decibel level down on the CRF450L. Engine case covers are on the right and left sides of the engine. Not only are these for protection, they dampen overall engine noise. Also, there is a full cover over the front sprocket. Again, more protection but sound damping as well. Even the swing arm plays a noise reducing role. It is injected with urethane to lower the overall bike volume. Lastly the exhaust system is a dedicated street legal unit to keep noise levels down.

and all of that is what helps contribute to the "porkiness": :deal

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/05/23/2019-honda-crf450l-fast-facts-and-photos/

To go from an off-road bike to a street-legal motorcycle did require a number of changes. The 2019 Honda CRF450L gets different ECU settings for cleaner running, a more restrictive airbox to quiet things down, various emissions-controlling doo-dads, a fan for the thermostat-controlled high-capacity radiators, a more powerful AC generator for the streetable LED lighting, a stronger lithium-ion battery, rubber-damped steel sprockets, thicker case covers to deaden noise, a dedicated box for electronics, mirrors, switchgear, DOT-legal IRC rubber, and oddly enough, urethane injected into the swingarm to make it quieter. All that adds just 14 pounds to the CRF450L—amazing.

14 Pounds = 6.35 kg's.

How much do you reckon the bismark muffler weighs over and above that...?

Getting eight to ten kilograms off the CRF450L's showroom tag weight seems achievable enough...?
    bigredroosta likes this.
  8. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Off_Road_Enduro/CRF450L

And I quote, "and a crush drive has been added to the 18-inch Enduro spec rear wheel."

I'm not too fussed if this is incorrect or a different interpretations of what a crush drive is as I don't think this bike is my unicorn, but it sure would be interesting if it did come stock with a crush drive.
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  9. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Crush/Cush??
    Big Willy likes this.
  10. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    It's a little disappointing to see that at least one manufacturer has made at least a passably interesting attempt at the bike we ALL bleat about and so many people promptly jump down their throats for doing so......

At first glance, I can see the BASIS for a GREAT bike here, I'm going to keep a close eye on this, I'm intrigued.
  11. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a phone. I'll blame the autocorrect.

Crush . Yep. Autocorrect.

And having had a look at a pic of the rear wheel, it doesn't have a cush drive. An official website appears to be wrong.
  12. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Huh? No they haven’t!

“passably interesting attempt” Don’t attempt it....do it! Over weight, underfueled, under powered. Did someone mention 26hp? FFS. There’s nothing here to make someone choose this over any of the enduro offerings from Europe.
    Jabba600 likes this.
  13. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR650? Plenty have em and don't run an adventurised enduro weapon.
  14. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    May as well stick with that DR650
  15. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I thought the DR was an endure weapon?
  16. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why?
    No mate my point is just beacuse some enjoy an enduro weapon with a big tank, doesn't mean it's the only way to do it.
    Obviously the Graham Jarvis-esque portion of this forum would need more to satisfy their skill sets but I reckon your gonna find a few of these chugging around in your high country with all kinds of pilots aboard weather you tear it down or not.

Pretty keen to see the trend evolve and maybe then the bar can continue to be moved for people with greater needs?
    Blakduk, Farmer Roy and bigredroosta like this.
  17. RussellM

RussellM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like this? dr650race.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    bigbrad likes this.
  18. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Is it 32K servicing intervals or a full rebuild at 32K, if it’s a full rebuild I’ve lost interest.:hmmmmm
  19. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Several thousand adv posts ago in several threads bemoaned the demise of the XR650R and there was countless spears aimed at Honda about...."er well ifn they only woulderer put an electric leg on the BRP "they" would sell shit loads of 'em." So maybe Honda was listening to youse lot after all and this is what ya get... lighter than a 650 too. Looks promising to me. Good onya Honda
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  20. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Firstly, I would challenge the 20 odd hp rating being bandied about here...gotta be more like 40 odd.
    Pity about the cush drive hub not being a cush drive hub :imaposer

The fork coatings are suspect...that gold anodising looks very similar to the Africa Twin's. Other manufacturers have complained about Showa quality as well

Gotta say, the only thing better than the older CRF450x seems to be the 6 speed gearbox as although it has a longer lasting piston design, I think the old Ti valve issue is going to play with it's reliability. Get that sorted and it's going to be a great weekend warrior bike that can be ridden great distance between home and forest (fuel allowing)

Plenty of larger tanks getting around for the R and X...shouldn't be long before one is available for this model as well.

[​IMG]

I feel like one of the investors on the Shark Tank when I say "very nice, it should do well, but I'm out"