Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    LDC, enduro bikes of today are not so much a “weapon” used for certain ADVing that you are Implying. The modern bikes of today are perfectly capable of lugging around all day long loaded up with luggage and fuel. The lighter the better. The reason so many are used in this scenario.

Graham Jarvis-esque? Once again, not true. Many ‘trail bike’ level riders are using these so called enduro “weapons” with success. I’m surprised to hear you think the likes of the enduro bike converted for the likes of high country tripping is used by the likes of Pro/Expert riders only.

I agree many will be sold, but many more could be. It’s still carrying weight even if you shed say 8kg. That then makes it 10kg heavier than my FE570 at 120cc greater. A choked up 570 puts out double the hp of a choked up one of these. All for a design that’s 10 years old.

Ok they have made an attempt at producing what so many others have achieved with enduro bikes. In my opinion, which I’m entitled to, they failed. If your happy to have less, considerably less for the asking of $13k that’s your business. For the same money you can have a Beta RR350. 109kg off the showroom floor and about 15 hp more out the door. Sorry mate but it’s just a no brainer. I don’t see anything about this bike that makes it worth purchasing over what’s avail today and has been for some time.
    bigbrad and richo360 like this.
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Oh BTW, a little Portuguese company called AJP produced a nice 600cc bike with windscreen, cush hub, 17 litre tank, fairing, tablet, hydraulic clutch etc etc for only 9kg more than the biggest bike manufacturers attempt at a 450cc with 7.5 litres, cable clutch.............:snore
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Happy to have a cable clutch, never had one break or fail, unlike a few hydraulic ones. ;)
    wrya1 and braindead0 like this.
  4. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    I don't believe that the bike has only mid 20's hp for a second.
    Big Willy and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  5. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think your still missing my point but that's cool, I'm done haha.
    I'm not ever saying you can't have an opinion but you lot seem to take exception to anything that falls outside of the tiny circle of your percieved perfect adv bikes.
    Give it some thought... I'm not even saying I need or want this bike but in 5 years time I'm sure as fuck hopeful that this niche is evolving.
    RussellM and Farmer Roy like this.
  6. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    The 1K km service interval quoted in Honda's blurb about this thing really seems wrong when you look at the rest of the specs. It carries a respectable 1.8L of oil, piston redesigned for reliability, lowered compression, massively detuned, etc etc. But they reckon you should be swapping oil & filters MORE frequently than what most people currently do using their 'ready to race' WRF or EXC as a trail & light adv bike?

I love my hydraulic clutch with a passion :raabia It's of the things I've suggested to Rosie as something to look for on a new bike as she does get tired arms - her WRR cable clutch feels bloody horrible when you jump on that from the 640.

Cheers
    Clint
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  7. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I’m not missing your point. This bike fills NO void. It’s pointless, simple.

“You lot”

“but you lot seem to take exception to anything that falls outside of the tiny circle of your percieved perfect adv bikes”.

Oh ok, the Graham Jarvis-esque “tiny circle” group?

LDC, it doesn’t come across that your fine with me having a difference of opinion.
    LivingdeadCamo and OzRider64 like this.
  8. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    The 450r is putting out nearly 50hp. The L would have to put out 40 I would think
  9. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DRZ puts out 40.
  10. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Maybe it doesn't fill a void here, but in the US this does.

And considering the current CRFX is now relegated to great trail bike instead of enduro weapon, I think it is the proper progression.:lol3

But if we get the X version in ADR form then it will be a bigger seller here in Australia.
    Farmer Roy and AUSSIEADV like this.
  11. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    This is taken from the thread in Thumpers...

12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's pretty funny stuff there tREV.

To say it in different words, : "We took our MX bike and now call it a street-oriented bike, we increased the oil capacity but even so change the oil every ride 'cos it's going to burn it off at street revs." And then goes on to claim (and this is the really funny bit) "It’s just a more aggressive adventure bike.".

What? :eek7
    bigborett and OzRider64 like this.
  13. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    Farmer Roy and Big Willy like this.
  14. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    And you can ride flat out on the pavement too...
  15. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    The more I read, the more I think they've missed the mark big time.

I was hoping too that it was the 450 version of the WR250r, but service intervals and checklists ensure that it is not
    MotoMattNYC likes this.
  16. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I concede.
    You don't get it, that is clear so please continue with your opinion of fuck this bike.
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    "According to Honda, oil / filter change and air filter service interval is just 600 miles, and valve inspection is 1,800 miles. Ouch."

From the linked article, 1000k (600 mile) oil changes. Well, I guess that's why "It’s just a more aggressive adventure bike." :imaposerAggressive towards the huge amount of oil it carries.
    My 625cc Hi-Po KTM motor has 2 litres (this Honda thing carries over 1.7 litres), and it's good for 5000 k's according to the instructions.
  18. tomo8r

tomo8r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quart is about a litre is it?
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    1 quart = .946 litres (approx).
    tomo8r likes this.
  20. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    That being a US Quart of course. Not the imperial Quart.
    wassie and tomo8r like this.