Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you Tim, although it seems many don't :-)
    hoorang and Cruz like this.
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:

and yet they can build a 190hp fireblade that goes to 13,000rpm, with a 24,000km valve clearance interval (just did mine - the camshafts didnt even come out. nothing had moved) all on 3.5 litres of oil and a 12,000km change interval. and they regularly go 100k. the ones that arent crashed, that is :lol3

go figure :scratch
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Yep, you do have trouble with others having a difference of opinion. The aggressiveness in your posts show this.
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  4. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    maybe that's the difference...1000cc /4 = 250cc

250cc = smaller valves=less inertia=higher revving=more horsepower=less maintenance as well

Looks like we're back to wanting a twin... or a big single where power can be extracted without high revs or a big twin that doesn't have to work hard (Africa Twin)
  5. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    If only Honda had continued to develop the XR650R or even just add an electric leg it would be perfect, but I'm biased
  6. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Y'know, we can only go on the information that is available at the time. That is the basis of the opinions expressed. If you don't like the opinion, challenge it through the data rather than personal insults. My 2c worth, based on the available data :

7.5 litres in a titanium tank? FFS. :fpalm
    600 mile oil changes for 1.7 litre capacity? SERIOUSLY? FFS. :fpalm
    Over 130 kilos? FFS. :fpalm

I too wish it did all the stuff that I desire, if it came even close I'd be chuffed, but it's just a short-haul porker based on the data. Even the Honda guy says it is a road-oriented machine, a stylised/glorified commuter trailbike basically.

On that basis, yeah, fuck this bike absolutely.
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    It's also not built for our market. We are spoilt for choice when it comes to road legal 350/450/500 performance dirt bikes, the poor Yanks get some Euro bikes, and some people seem to think that anything not made in Japan is a ticking time bomb so they are going to buy the shit out of this bike.

Oh and the 1000Klm oil change and 30K or whatever rebuild is what the book will say, but a lot of us ignore the book now, and I'm guessing it would be safe to push that out to 1050klm if you're real careful...:lol3
    RussellM, LC8TY, Big Willy and 5 others like this.
  8. jack82

jack82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So true.......one of the sweetest and toughest motors ever made,......such a shame they put the XR out to pasture.
  9. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    :(Are you blokes trying to make me cry?

They were also just a great ride, not much steers and brakes like a good XR. Don't mention plush.

If the useless bastards had persisted, we'd be arguing about what a porky XR650R Honda had made instead of ............:(:
  10. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    XR650R...6 speed box...high output alternator...steel subframe...cush drive hub...leccy start...upside down forks...not too much to ask really..oh and a 28 litre tank with another 12 in the bum :clap
  11. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    How true. Had an XR600 sold it and bought a DRZ which has always been a faithful all round good machine but I always regret selling the 600. Fast forward 10 years and last year I bought an XR650R and just love it. I said I'd never sell the DRZ but about to move it on and buy a Tiger (but that's another story). The 650 doesn't feel any heavier, handles better and goes harder than the DRZ. As you say nothing steers like an XR IMHO.
  12. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Honda will assume you are on the limiter everywhere I guess and they like to avoid public failure so err on the side of caution. I'm sure it will be fine
    I've messed around with oil changes on my X, just because I wanted to try and kill it to be honest, all in the name of science. I failed and its got 280hrs made up of 3 or 4 Condos and a Safari, single track through to beach and freeway riding.
    In the end I got bored with throwing in crap oil of different viscosities and running it way past the recommended ten hours.
    Now I think I use Castrol in both sides..... just because Honda / Castrol / Historic....... good reason eh. Oh and its cheaper.

Its a Honda..

Tank seems a tad small though but my old SP1 only had enough fuel to go about 120km finding fuel was always a concern.

If anyone wants a 6 speed box for their X they could be obtained. Way back when, the mob that Mr Pooskitt uses for his bikes box made a 6 speed set up for the R (2005 / 2007 from memory) along with a primary drive. I asked about the X and they said minimum order of 5. Not much eh but when it comes to people putting their money where their mouth is it all falls apart.
    One day I will have a six speed box in my beast and it will be awesome (Sat inside my garage not moving).
    kano650, lurkin and AUSSIEADV like this.
  13. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t take too much notice of the service/rebuild intervals. Modern dirties seem to make a mockery of manufacturers recommendations.

“My 570 has a dirt tricks tensioner in it for a long time now Seems to tick a little when it is warm, has for a long time. It has 735 hours on it now.”
    Jabba600 and Dukehunt like this.
  14. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    I just hope they still ADR the 450X, be a shame if they didn't bother thinking that people who want a registered bike would be happy with the L, kind of the opposite of when they binned the XR400 and 650R when the CRF450X came out thinking that people in the market for the bigger XRs would get the CRF, or how Suzuki didn't bother ADRing the RMX450 because they thought if people wanted rego they could just get the DRZe...
    GodSilla likes this.
  15. ECKS-Man

ECKS-Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RMX450Z lack of ADR was ridiculous! By the time they got around to releasing it with ADR the ship had sailed. I'd still like one though...
  16. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong here but the 2018 X isn't ADR approved so it remains a competition/closed course only bike.
    The 2019 X won't be either now the "50 State legal" L model is here.
  17. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    The 2018 RX isn't ADRed, I don't know about the plain old X though...
  18. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Bad news guys, just checked the Honda Au website and the CRF450L is already there, so is the RX and R but no mention of the X, so I am going to guess you get this if you need rego, and the RX if you don't...

No mention of the 250X or new RX either...
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  19. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I think LC8TY has HONDA's plan for the Oz CRF market worked out... :nod This from the Honda.com.au site :deal

CRF450RX - offroad/enduro competition model (no lights stock = non- ADR compliant)
    https://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Off_Road_Competition/2017_CRF450RX

CRF450L - offroad/enduro dualsport version... with all the street legal stuff.
    https://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Off_Road_Enduro
    59DEN and LC8TY like this.
  20. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    I like to think I have it worked out too but as I said above, I could be wrong.:-)
    The concept of the L seems spot on. Of course it will need a bigger fuel tank, race pipe and jetting (ecu remap) but we have be doing that for years with every other bike.

LED lighting as a stock item is a winner, if it comes with a 18 cush drive rear (as stated by some) it's winner winner.
    Oil change intervals don't realy matter, do it when or as often as you can.
    32 k kms is a lot of commuting to work, or the shops, riding out of town to the trails for the day, weekends away with the boys trail riding, overnight adventures and even a Simpson crossing and a CSR.
    I'd be happy to throw a piston and ring (3) at it after all that.