Something interesting from Honda CRF450L 6speed box

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Big Willy, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    The manufacturers either mustn't sell too many of the bigger tanks, or they just aren't cost effective or too hard to make for them.
    Blakduk likes this.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I would guess the former, once they have the internal shape they can pretty much go for it,
    I think the majority a bought by people that want to do longer trail rides as opposed to "adventure" rides, so sales of the big tanks are probably a little limited.
    Jabba600 likes this.
  3. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:

Not true

Ims and Acerbis both make 20litre plus tanks for many bikes.

The 450/500 KTM and Huskies have mutiple 15-20-25 litre tanks

The 450x even had a 25 litre tank

The WR450 has multiple tank options
  4. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    So to weigh this up, KTM already have a 6 speed which they've have since day dot and they are pretty reliable considering their performance.

Honda comes along with a 6 speed and their only saving grace is the new piston with 3 rings and no guarantee of reliability (if their valve issues are anything to go by).

I'd buy the tried and tested KTM/Husqvarna 500 if I was to step into this category again with tanks already available if you wish to go the Adventure route.

If you want a single track bike that you can ride to and from...then this is what the Honda is for and what it was designed for. I wouldn't be making it into an adventure bike but it looks like a great enduro bike...just don't forget to take a couple of extra litres for those long days.
    Bigem likes this.
  5. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Whats really funny is that I think that the new X is pretty interesting (the L less so), but if the exact same bike was released green plastics and Kawasaki and KLX450 written on it I would think it was the greatest bike ever!:lol3

(And the above is unfortunately almost true :shog)
    GodSilla likes this.
  6. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:

Thats you.

What about others?

It's a free market
  7. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes the older models do but all newer models for the KTM,Yamaha,Honda have max L of 17L tanks my 2017 Ktm500 has a max tank size of 17L
    I reckon it’ll only be @ 15L
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    :2cry
    Blakduk likes this.
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Wayne, I wouldn’t think this is a single track bike. Too heavy. Ok, for the US market this is the outcome plus they have choked it up considerably, prob why we are seeing 26hp. That piece of junk in the inlet tract wouldn’t help.

It would be interesting to see if most of the extra weight over comparable bikes is easily removed, same with the emissions crap.

So if someone buys one of these, start a diet and exercise thread could ya?
    Big Willy likes this.
  10. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with a cable clutch? Anyone remotely physically fit enough to need a 450 inthe woods oughta have enough beans to pull a clutch lever. We don't even know if this particular cable clutch is stiff or not. Cable clutch assemblies are lighter than hydros and never blow seals.

Multiple bar positions? I'm 38 and have lived just fine without it. Just excess metal on the top yoke for no good reason.

Fat bars send tingles straight to the ends at highway speeds. I've NEVER owned a fatbar,or any aluminum bar, that didn't add vibration to the bars. I'd love steel bars on this bike.

Some things that people want to see as "features"...well, go log some miles then decide if you really want/need it or not.
    Farmer Roy, GSXR and Blakduk like this.
  11. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
    At least the greatest kawasaki ever..
  12. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Well it would at least be on par with the KDX anyway.:lol3
    LivingdeadCamo, Jabba600 and darren70 like this.
  13. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:

You left out "...and what did the Romans ever do for us?"

I can't wait to ditch steel bars for fatbars, EVERY time. I love my oh-so-light! hydraulic clutch (one failure in over a decade compared to several frayed clutch cables on other bikes and total clutch cable failures in the past as well) for it's featherlight and consistent action.

I think it's great we all want something different. But steel bars? :scratch
    AUSSIEADV and Jabba600 like this.
  15. tHEtREV

Oddometer:
    Hydraulic clutches never break cables though.:lol3

Hydraulic clutches are always easier to pull than cable, and while cable is good enough a lot of the time, hydraulic clutchs are great.

I have jumped from cable to hydro clutches on bikes and first thought is that the clutch is broken the pull is so light, and considering the amount the clutch gets used on trail rides, an easy pull is a big help.

I wouldn't not buy a bike because it had cable clutch, but give me an option on a bike I am riding single track or tight bush on and I'll take the hydro every time.
    Jabba600 and XRHondafan like this.
  16. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol that’s 17L mate
    For some stupid reason all aftermarket manufacturers are building smaller ranged tanks for the new bikes suiting linger trail rides than the adventure market
  17. Jabba600

Jabba600 WA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know as it’s the tank that’s on my 17 KTM500 Adventure

569845A1-BBC0-4D80-AAA4-3AC809230C5E.jpeg
  18. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    :D
    I insist that you must follow what I say and adhere to it closely.:D
    Forums are all about opinions...I make up my own mind what I buy. I ride 2 Hondas but I couldn't care less what the badge says as long as it delivers.
    Jabba600 likes this.
  19. Lupine128

Lupine128 That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer:
    How close is the new subframe design to the old one I wonder.
    Safari do a nice little subframe tank that would be great on this. 15ltr front and 5-8 rear would give a nicely balanced 20+ liters. That would probably work out to be around 450klm if general riding.
    Or even that whole subframe setup they built for the Dakar bikes. What was that, 15liters rear and 20 front.
    Do you need 35ltr on a small capacity efi bike? 700+klm range. 4-500 total would be plenty enough for me, and probably enough for most people.
  20. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Gotta disagree Al.
    Single track bikes include the WR450, DRZ400, CRF450, KLX450 etc as well as all the KTM 4 and 2 strokes. All the usual suspects. I think it's going to fit in therr just nicely. Btw...dunno where that HP figure came from but it needs to disappear. It aint a KLX250
    AUSSIEADV likes this.