Something interesting from Yamaha T7

Discussion in 'Australia' started by richo360, Nov 7, 2016.

1. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I think it is part of the corporate strategy from YAMAHA parent company (JAPAN), that the dealerships are "Yamaha only" and conform the the corporate image floorplans, signage layout etc. One of my best mates is a YAHAHA dealer; here in my adopted home town (Helsingborg) in Sweden.

About ten years ago, the brass at YAMAHA Scandinavia (under directive from YAMAHA Europe) turned up and said... "we want you to become a YAMAHA authorized CENTER..." Which meant (to retain the franchise) that they had to build and rennovate the dealership to reflect the Yamaha Corporate image, buy all of the internal shopfitting etc. that YAMAHA nominated, change their name (since 20 years) from RG MOTOR Yamaha - to YAMAHA CENTER Helsingborg... take on all of the Marine watercraft, boat and outboard motor lines... as well as a bunch of other conditions (minimum floor plan stock, inventory etc.).

I don't know of any YAHAHA dealer in Sweden that has multiple brands any more (maybe some smaller regional cities) but certainly the "YAMAHA CENTER" concept has been bulldozed thru by head office... Maybe Australia is experiencing the same?

HONDA has attempted to do similar here in Sweden in a few dealerships that I have seen - last 10 years or so. A HONDA dealership that was set up under those guideline here tanked, and lost its franchise as a result, after only a few years back...
  2. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's interesting Troy as the motor vehicle dealerships have gone the opposite way with multi brands from the same location, maybe different showrooms but share the same overall property.
    Very hard as a dealer of multiple brands to be reduced to one and conformity at your expense
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  3. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

Figured you say that :rofl

LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    The sole Yamaha dealer in Cbr lasted a bit over a year. Joes MC had previously said enough and there was no dealer for about a year in between, and again since. Now with Canberra Motorcycle Centre, about as big as they get with lots of brands; http://canberramcc.com.au/ Yamaha sort of kicked an own goal.
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Have you got an example apart from motoline that shut the whole multi brand shop down for business reasons ?

Cant say ive seen any disapear of the ones ive used Bris/coast regions in last few years

6. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
    Bill's Motorcycles (Honda) in Adelaide, and there was a stand alone Kawasaki dealer down South that folded recently as well in Adelaide.
  7. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    err, not entirely sure about details, but Ride Motorcycles in Tamworth ( previously Harry Pyne Motorcycles for many generations. Sold lots of yammie dirt bikes, ag bikes & quads over the years ) I believe lost the Yamaha dealership because they couldn't / wouldn't carry a wide enough range of bikes / Yamaha merch / Y branding to please the big Y. They were also a Triumph dealer, but closed soon after losing Yamaha ( you don't see many Trumpy ag bikes, kids bikes or quads on farms . . . )
    Another bike dealer in Tamworth told me had considered taking on the Yamaha dealership after Ride lost it, but the conditions from Yamaha were too onerous ( he is a KTM & Polaris dealer - seems to sell a heap )
    Real shame, closest Yamaha dealer is now Moree, Armidale or Singleton.
  8. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yeah... it does not really mesh with the "multi-dealer" concept in the auto industry - where it seem the trend is for different brand/dealerships to "flock" together... But as you say - I think they maintain a very definite and seperate showroom policy/corporate ID when they do so. In the past many "multi-brand" motorcycle dealerships give the impression of "all under one roof - piled in with one another"... you could often see two, three or even four competing brands signage up on the awning over the shopfront - beside one another. Inside - the floorplans were often similar.

I think that is what a lot of the manufacturers (marketing dept.) are trying to move away from... that seems to be what Yamaha, Honda and KTM are all pushing...

I have another good friend who has had a KTM dealership over the last 15 years. he started out as SUZUKI... then picked up KTM... expanded... dropped SUZUKI... picked up POLARIS (quads etc.), then TRIUMPH... when Mattighofen acquired Husqvarna brand, they turned up in the shop too.

So in March he opened a specially built brand new facility - right alongside the current premises he built/moved into in 2007 - but only five time the size of the existing joint. the key difference here is that they have applied that "auto dealer" approach... inside it is like four completely seperate showrooms... different shopfittings, signage... completely seperate brand related sales staff (with uniforms in respective colour scheme)... Unlike any other "bike shop" I've been in before...

Dunno' how that approach would go in smaller, rural centers (I'd imagine it wouldn't ?)... but for the big "multi-plex" auto dealer approach in the big smoke... mebbe? My mate Jonte is selling bikes by the semi-load in any case...
    Dukehunt likes this.
  9. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Second hand story so it might be BS but I was told last year that the Horsham, Vic Yamaha/Harley/Triumph/Suzuki? dealer was told it was to be Yam only so he told them where to go. Last time I was in there (~6 months-ish) they were still selling Yam's. I think it was mentioned that he'd start selling Hondas instead.
  10. Blakduk

Blakduk Just trying to get by.

Oddometer:
    Sunstate. Gympie.
  11. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Australia does seem to make life hard for dealers - as Steve says, the local Yammie-only shop went belly-up - beautiful showroom, but not enough range to sustain the costs of facility / staff

Now back with the behemoth Canb MC Centre - they also sell Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, Ducati, Can-Am and Enfields (prev the Bergs as well) - but the shop is in two buildings (adjacent) and the Yammies are by themselves - apparently a condition
  12. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't got a Yammy only dealer anywhere near me to my knowledge?
    The closest was a triumph/honda/yamaha but lost honda to the bimmer dealer.
    The other bloke sells husky and yammy.
    Cessknock sells husky/honda/yammy i believe and most of the others in Sydney have multiple brands too?

Even the local ktm dealer sells kwakas.
  13. LOFTYBOB

LOFTYBOB Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer:
  14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Down to the (PR marketing race) wire...

In my opinion - in this shoot - the (790) bike looks better in black (maybe like the wife's "little black dress" - slimming look?).

[​IMG]

It's gonna' be a toss up between the Tenere700 World raid and the 790 AdventureR... I reckon.

[​IMG]
    Farmer Roy and flinders_72 like this.
  15. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an excellent comparison.

KTM looks to be off road focus, check out the front mudguard and behemoth bash plate. Isolated dash binnacle etc.
    Tenere / T7, all road.

Guaranteed the Yammie will be a consummate all rounder.
    KTM a lot more focused on gnarly stuff, pants for long distance.

Great choice of bikes regardless of my opinion, and the reality when they finally start selling them.
    It might come down to service intervals...
  16. Gazman

Gazman Zen equals camping

Oddometer:
    Interesting.
    I always wondered why yamaha has a stand alone complex next to the peter stevens shop in Geelong.
  17. AG200man

AG200man AG200 Nutjob

Oddometer:
    The main problem with Yamaha Australia has now left the building...
  18. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Singleton no longer Yamaha. I believe Yamaha wanted dealers to have 1 of each model on the floor at dealer's cost.
    Yamaha dealer now in Miserybrook. I tried to source a copper washer for a brake line from them but couldn't be bothered.
    Singleton still has access to Yamaha parts and is my go to for just about everything bike related.
  19. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    And if neither are what they seem, there is always the PR7 which is worth a look at and may suit some riders.
    troy safari carpente and lurkin like this.
  20. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    In 1987 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Portuguese underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the AJP-Team:bmwrider