Something Orange Caught My Eye & Wallet

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jwnsc, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jwnsc

jwnsc Hang in there. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having just sold the Uly, I was down at my local Beemer shop all ready to plunk down $9900 for a barebones, '09 F650GS (twin) that only has ABS and heated grips. I had mentioned I was looking for a bike to ride to Alaska next summer. The salesman said that he had just taken something in on trade for a F800GS that I might be interested in.

The "something" was a fairly clean 2007 KTM LC4 Adventure with aluminum panniers, Scott Steering Damper, GPS mount with dedicated power cord, Kaoko throttle lock, KTM deluxe tool kit, spare chain, spare sprockets, and some other KTM-specific tools. 1500 miles. $6400.

Damn, I just spent the better part of a month agonizing between the V-strom, Versys, F650GS (single) and F-650GS (twin). Now, I'm tempted beyond distraction with this out-of-production, fully-farkled, paint shaker and poster child of Adventure Riding. My head is telling me almost all of the 9,500 miles is paved and due to time constraints, we're in for several 750+ slab days. My wallet is saying save yourself at least $5K (once the Beemer is farkled) and get the Katoom. Of course, as soon as I head off to Alaska on the LC4, KTM will unveil the new, vibration-free, fuel-injected, 55+ mpg, 60+ HP, KTM 700 Adventure with the 33-inch seat height.
    AAAAGH!
  2. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    wow!... i'm going to have to say DO IT!! I can't imagine a better deal... 64 for a done up ride... DO IT DO IT!!
  3. jamesdemien

jamesdemien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah... Those are pretty cool. I have one.

But that new BMW is pretty cool too.:evil
  4. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    $6400? I'd buy that in a New York minute. :nod
  5. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    That is one good deal! Where I work we have a 640 Adv with no fancy extras for a similar price (but in £ so £3500) but the extras are worth £210 for the panniers alone, £110 for sprockets and chain, £30 for a standard tool kit let alone a deluxe one and the rest.
    (Roughly double a price in £ to get the equivalent in $)
  6. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a couple of F650 singles and currently own a 2006 640 Adv. I've enjoyed them all. What I tell people is, if the majority of your riding is going to be off road, pick up the KTM. If the majority of your riding is going to be on pavement and well groomed forest service roads pick up the BMW. By majority I mean 51%. If the majority of my riding was on pavement I can't think of a reason why I would pick a 640 Adventure over the new F650GS twin. I own more than one bike so I can use my 640 Adv for only long distance off road adventure rides. This is the bikes strength and it has performed as well as I could have hoped for. That said, I wouldn't think about riding it on a 9500 mile trip on pavement. Not that it can't be done, it's just there are better choices that can be had.

Jim in Sacramento
  7. soundasleeprecording

soundasleeprecording genuine pleather seating

Oddometer:
    dallas, texas, EARTH (sky-ground-sky sometimes)
    Well, if that's what it takes to expose the 700 Adventure, by all means.......

git 'er dun.
  8. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...most cmfortable bike I have ever ridden was an F650GS
  9. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Go orange and with the left over money go buy yourself a 4 year old KLR. Two motorcycles are always better than one.
  10. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    At face value, good price on the Adv, but if you're really buying this bike to ride to Alaska, the F650GS (twin) is hands down the vastly superior bike for this mission. I used to own a 640 Adv and while it is a great backwoods exploration tool, it's just a tough, tough bike for long-distance pavement droning. I now ride a DRZ and honestly, I think the DRZ is a better long-distance pavement bike and that's not saying much for the Adv in this role. Several 750+ mile days of slab on a 640 Adv? That would be absolutely brutal and might even have serious health consequences.

- Mark
  11. jwnsc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. It's hard to take the medicine when common sense
    means passing up a great deal on this:

Attached Files:

12. jwnsc

Oddometer:
    Or spending an extra $5K on this:

Attached Files:

13. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    There's an easy answer to this--test-ride the KTM on the highway at 75mph & see if it bothers you. I've heard people that I think are pretty tough whine about the vibes that I'd have to see for myself. :deal

You could have this figured out & have a bike in your shed by tomorrow.

Jeff
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the delta is $5K, you could get a decent small Strom for this which is a great Alaska trip bike, easily as good as the BMW on pavement. Have your cake and eat it too.

- Mark
  15. grinder96

grinder96 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When your talking 750 mile days you have to get some of those miles done! There is no replacement for displacement! If your not going for a liter or more bike the the 800 (f650) will take you over those miles easier at an excelerated pace then the lc4.

I was getting my KLR650 ready to go to alaska when my buddy had just gotten back on his vstrom (1000). He said there is A LOT of slab to cover. You can do it on a 650 but it is much easier with a litter bike!!

The KTM is a great deal, but so is McDonalds happy meal! your not looking for a deal as much as your looking for a bike to take you to alaska! Buy the bike that fits the trip, not the deal.

Or do the KTM deal then get the bike that fits the trip and sell it afterwards! Then you still have a great deal on a KTM!
  16. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    I agree with markjenn. Get the KTM and a V-strom for Alaska. The DL650 seems to be more popular so you can really find some deals on DL1k's.

If it were me, I'd get the KTM and then slow the trip down and try to find more dirt on the way to Alaska. :evil
  17. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the "slow the trip down" idea, regardless of what you take.

- Mark
  18. Mark950

Mark950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

but

Go Orange :D
  19. drzoomn

drzoomn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    okay, in case you really want the KTM and need some encouragement in that direction...

if i had to pick one of those bikes and drive it off the lot straight to AK, i'd take the KTM, hands down. with the bmw (since it's not made with dirt in mind and it's brand new!) i'd feel to scared to munge it up exploring dirt roads (which i would definitely want to do in AK). i'd feel like if i dumped the BMW in the middle of nowhere it wouldn't fare as well as the KTM.

yeah vibes suck, and even my duke II was brutal on long stretches of slab, but it can be surmounted. i just recently did a 500 mile trip on a 1150GS and was surprised that it wasn't as comfy as i expected. my old tiger seemed better. the lower seat height bent my knees more than i'm used to and was a bit uncomfy. really tall seats are much easier on the knees. one thing i did love however was the throttle lock, it definitely helped relieve arm fatigue. if i ever do another long trip i'm totally buying one.

i did a 1300 mile trip on a xr650r that was straight slab from denver to sf. the seat was brutal at times, but like a bicycle your ass eventually builds up some resistance (or dead nerve ending...whatever). the general vibes on the ride wasn't that bad really, i thought it would be a big issue, but it really wasn't. the seat was the hardest part. for my trip i stopped at a walmart and bought a honkin grandma bicycle gel seat and duct taped it to the bike...

[​IMG]

not pretty, but it helped a lot. i've since read that many people take gel ATV seat covers and strap them to motos for more comfort. hell with the money you saved on the KTM you can afford to shell out for a nice corbin. or go this route...
    http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=2

at the end of the day, i'm just not that impressed with the BMW 650, i would never buy that bike new. it just looks so cheap (although i'm sure it aint). ABS or not, i'd take the KTM's dual fronts over the BMW single anyday for a full loaded bike.

if i were going new i'd save up for more and do the 800GS (if you can even get them), to me that is the perfect size and form factor for long haul action. the big GS's are just too massive for me, they haul ass and eat up miles but damn they are pigs.

anyway, do the ktm, get a better seat. if the battery craps out you can kick start, if you catch a nail you can change the tube, and when you go to sell it you won't loose as much cash on it.

oh and i agree with others, slow the trip down, do backroads and dirt. then yer ass won't hurt as much...and you'll have a lot more fun.

either way, good luck!
  20. New Trick

New Trick A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer:
    I don't think you should get it. I would however like the name of that dealer. Just for my files of course.