Somewhere between a memory and a dream...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TurnerR, Jul 14, 2018.

1. TurnerR

TurnerR Ride motorcycles, have fun

Oddometer:
    Day 9

The next morning dad and I woke up early. We planned to have a big day. As I woke up I received a text that hit me in the guts. Long story short I was having some heartache. I had to take about an hour to compose myself. My dad hadn't seen me that upset or vulnerable since I was a child I don't think. I cried and cried over a woman. Fortunately time heals all wounds, and much like my bad cdi, another woman can always be bought.

After my melt down we started rolling again. Then I made us stop again. That sun sure looked pretty rising over the Oklahoma land.

[​IMG]

Luckily I am riding a Honda. Red makes bulls super calm and he gave us zero issues.

[​IMG]

Dad looked like Moses when he parted the herd.

[​IMG]

We rode for a bit and had some breakfast in Newkirk. I couldn't eat much as my stomach was in knots. As soon as we left we got right back on the TAT and dad told me to stop, he had no clutch. What he meant was that he had no clutch cable because it snapped at the ferrule.... Crap.

Fortunately we broke down in front of a ladies house who told us the guy down the road works on bikes. I saw a Harley Street Bob and was going to knock on the door until I spotted his neighbor mowing. I asked him if he had a space we could maybe fashion up a repair. He told us to wheel the bike up and take a look. He told us his name was Curtis and he's been a machinist for 32 years. He can get us fixed up. I told him my plan and he is on the same page, so we find some stainless bolts to get to work. At this time Tyler walks over. The neighbor with the Harley. I ask if he has any HD throttle cables as they are similar and he does! Upon further inspection it looked like a lot more work to butcher his brand new Harley cables. Long story short we ended up drilling a hole horizontally through the bolt. Then we drill another vertically through the head. Then as we are tapping the bolt vertically, the tap broke. Shit. That was his last stainless bolt he had that would fit in the lever. So we start on some hardened steel bolts which are much tougher to work with. Eventually he got us fixed up and the bike was ready to rock again. The four of us worked on that bolt and ran the cable horizontally and used a set screw vertically to hold the old cable in place. Shaved a bit of cable sheathing off and we were running! We were beyond blessed to end up in that shop and I firmly believe we were there for a reason. Maybe it was to take my mind off of things or maybe we were supposed to handle challenges or maybe shit just happens. Regardless, we felt blessed.

[​IMG]

Curtis had a buddy that I ended up bonding with.

[​IMG]

We were off again! The roads were amazing through Oklahoma. I wasn't looking forward to that part of the trip but I had a blast through the entire state.

[​IMG]

Windmills are still cool to me.

[​IMG]

We ended up stopping in Buffalo, Ok for the night. We wanted a good nights rest because Trinidad, Co was on our minds...
  2. TurnerR

Oddometer:
    Day 10

The morning started early. Much before daylight. I slept ok but my heart was still hearing. We made some coffee and I settled in to my normal self. Just before we left we noticed the sun trying to creep up. Damn Oklahoma can be pretty.

[​IMG]

Now everyone has said if you hit rain in OK just slab it. I usually don't take people's advice, especially over the internet, but my front tire was getting pretty damn worn and there was a big thunderstorm all night directly over our route. We ended up stabbing it up into Kansas and all the way into Colorado. It was chilly for the first time on the trip. At least it was a pretty ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped for fuel for the last time in Kansas. It would be the last stop until Trinidad 175 miles away. We ended up doing that entire stretch without stopping for more than 5 minutes the last 30 miles to go. Our booties were starting to hurt!

[​IMG]

There were some long boring stretches but I didn't mind them. It was a beautiful day. Plus tomorrow I get new tires!!

[​IMG]

We stayed at Trails End in Trinidad. Nice place. Harley people, so I got along great with them. The gal told us to eat at Double D's for some good food and beers. I could use looking at some tiddies so I told dad to follow me. It was actually a super nice diner that had some great food. I only ate about half of mine, but the owner was awesome. She was a Journeyman electrician and her sister was a master electrician. Great chick, I highly recommend this place.

We tucked in early, for tomorrow was maintenance to prep for the more fun parts of the trip!
  3. neppi

neppi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love your straightness and honesty! Keep em coming! Good stuff!
  4. Wailuku43

Wailuku43 n00b

Oddometer:
    Super stoked to see another report. Hope everything is going awesome. Looking forward to the next post!
  5. TurnerR

Oddometer:
    I've been super depressed so I haven't updated. I'll catch up soon...
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. slacker1965

slacker1965 .....no matter where you go......

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your RR...... Funny how some of the best times in a journey come thru the people we meet traveling thru this great country of ours while dealing with adversity......
  7. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:

I'd love to give you some sage advice here or hit you with some sort of insite that doesn't sound like I vomited a cliche through my teeth but I've got nothing. Give it time bud. That's the only thing that fixes heartache.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip when you're ready.

Cheers

Dave
    Wailuku43 and dano619 like this.
  8. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This never finished! Hope things are going better for you now.
  9. kdxdude

kdxdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1565269761124.jpg
  10. kdxdude

kdxdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After Oklahoma things got much better. Riding Colorado was amazing, Marshall, Engineer & Imogene Passes. 3 full days of riding Moab, White Rim Trail, Lockhart Basin, Kane Creek, Chicken Corners, Hurrah Pass, Shaffer Switchbacks. We both crashed hard outside Baker, NV, banged up but not injured. Great riding & camping to Port Orford, Oregon on the beach. We are planning to ride KAT & MABDR this Fall. Planning to ride big bikes to Alaska Summer 2020. TAT was trip of a lifetime!! Turner is doing great, he met a great young lady & things are good!!! Hes an outstanding young man, I had no doubt things would get better for him.
    staticPort likes this.
  11. pilot47

pilot47 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm very envious that you and your son were able to take such an epic ride together. Unfortunately, my father passed away several years ago and we were not able to do anything similar. I will say that I am no more impressed with a woman that will break up with her boyfriend ( an assumption on my part ) when he is on a trip like this than a woman who does so during an overseas deployment. A pretty self-centered act to btreak the spirit of someone while on such a journey. As so many others, I have thoroughly enjoyed your son's stories of his travels. He has a wonderful talent of bringing his audience with him through his prose.
    kdxdude likes this.
  12. kdxdude

kdxdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you pilot47! It was an epic trip!! TAT was his dream ride since he was a teenager, hes 30 now. He was very much in love with her, she has 3 boys & Turner had fallen in love with them as well. Yes, it was very self centered of her and Turner took it hard for a few days. I was super impressed with the way he handled himself during all that. 1 of my favorite parts of trip was when we were starting to ride White Rim Trail, we had Sena system on in our helmets. He says to me, I've been dreaming of riding this trail for a long time. I'm gonna turn intercom off & enjoy the hell out of this ride. He dumped the clutch ripped on down them dirt roads. A little while later he was pulled over enjoying a view when I pulled up & he was smiling ear to ear. I knew then, he will be ok. Thanks again!!
    severely likes this.