Somewhere in S-America with a sidecar

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Muug, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Muug

Muug Muug

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

I live in Belgium and I've never been to South-America before. Now I would like to visit that part of the world in August 2019, with my wife and 12y old daughter. As we've never been there we've no specific preference for a country or a region. I suppose it'll be all exotic enough.
    But I'm a dedicated motorcyclist and I like to travel as independent as possible.
    That's why I thought of renting/buying a sidecar somewhere, to simply ride around and enjoy life. What do you think? Is it realistic? Do any of you guys know an address where I could rent such a thing? If it's not possible, what about renting/buying two light motorcycles?

cheers,
    Paul
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are multiple sidecar owners have toured South America some have even posted ride reports here. I think the BugsOnMyFace trip is the best documented: https://advrider.com/f/threads/its-time-to-move-on-a-bugsonmyface-global-sidecar-adventure.739872/

Now the thing is, if you aren't already a sidecar person, the one thing you need to know is that sidecars are NOT motorcycles and they don't handle anything like a motorcycle. For this reason alone I have to say that sidecars are not for everyone. A very large number of people buy sidecars and then sell them after a very short time. You either love them or hate them. There is a section here dedicated to sidecars called "Hacks". There is lots of good information and a great place to ask your questions about sidecars (aka: Hacks).

I don't know of sidecar rentals existing anywhere in North or South America.

The sidecar used by BugsOnMyFace was built by Freedom sidecars: http://freedomsidecars.com/

EML Sidecars located close to you in the Netherlands make some of the best sidecars in the world: https://emltrike.com/en/sidecars/
  3. Muug

Muug Muug

Oddometer:
    You're right that's it's absolutely not the same. I am aware of that.
    That said, EML Sidecars has been broke several times since 2003, so I'm really surprised there is still an enterprise using that name. Perhaps they bought the name. Anyway, EML sidecars - though being the best - are way too expensive. And I'm not going to send one overseas for just a month... :-/
    Thanks for sharing the bugsonmyface-topic. I'm afraid we don't have that kind of freedom.
    I'll ask the same question on the horizonsunlimited-forum, we'll see what they post overthere :-)
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer: