Sonora Mexico, Puerto Penasco to San Carlos

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Pitster, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    I have spent a lot of time in Puerto Penasco and San Carlos and would like to make a adv route between the two.

I’m really not into riding hwy much and would prefer more Offroad.
    Does anyone has some ideas for Offroad / two track sections they would recommend?

I am also in the process of developing a small camping area in San Carlos. This is on private property behind locked gates, safe, beach front with water and adventure bike friendly! Inexpensive camping and rv sites on a private beach. More details to come. Pm me for more info.... you can also see more info in Instagram at “beach_property”

Thanks

Attached Files:

eakins, noshoes and ScotsFire like this.
  2. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t know what condition it’s in but I used to ride dirt north out of Bahia Kino almost all the way to Puerto Libertad. grab fuel there and then head east past the airport pick up dirt and come out south of Caborca.
    Pitster likes this.
  3. Khansen611

Khansen611 n00b

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what i want to do the October. I haven't found much info on the area but i was looking at google maps satellite view you see lots of roads and trails between highway 3 and the sea. I want to try those big dunes i seen on the Sonoran Rally.
  4. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have gone around the last fence on the beach in Lamanga 3 and ridden off road almost to El Colorado. Probably mostly private land but I saw almost no one.
    Pitster likes this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big dunes you want are located southeast of San Luis Rio Colorado. They are really big and it gets extremely remote in a hurry. They lay south of Hwy 2 and north of Hwy 40, east of Hwy 3, and west of the Biosphere Reserve. Best access is to go south from Hwy 2.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.0775585,-114.4177162,10.38z?hl=en&authuser=0

Swap over to the satellite view for a good look.
    Pitster likes this.
  6. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to have the routes via gps?
  7. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Could you share the routes?
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Sonora Rally routes are not published. The routes given to the competitors are via a roll chart. After all navigating/finding the route via roll chart is a huge part of the competition.

The dunes are dangerously huge and need to be treated with a lot of respect as you are unlikely to get any help if you breakdown or get hurt.

The only other thing I can add is that the desert surrounding the dunes is extremely soft and it is actually easier to get stuck in the open desert than in the dunes! Stay on existing two track trails in the open desert.
    Misery Goat likes this.
  9. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    It’s a pretty good distance from la manga to el Colorado, how far north of la manga did you actually ride? It’s private property just a mile or two north with no bypass through.
  10. Tagman

Tagman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Yes I’m very familiar with the area that’s why I was confused. A few miles north of La manga is Los Anegados, you cannot stay near the coast north of that point. My guess is you headed back inland up Robinson canyon? Which is basically the only route (if you have keys to the gates).

To get to Los Anegados you have to go through a locked gate with no shore access (private property). You may have gone around the first gate in La manga by going on the beach but it’s not possible through the second gate to Los Anegados unless you have a key. Once in Los Anegados (if you have a key and permission) you can go through Robinson canyon in a north east direction.