1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Sonora Rally 2018

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HogWild, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    So cool! Still dead curious to see my track compared to the official :D
    BucketHead likes this.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it looks like we won't get that data since we never got the chips out of the RallyComps from Mike Johnson, and now those chips are getting overwritten with new data as of today.
    Stagehand likes this.
  3. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    less then 30 days !!!!!!
  4. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    The Rally comps haven't been used since Sonora, last? That's too bad, I would hope those devices would become standard of the industry, used everywhere.
  5. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    My microSD chips (where the data is stored) were never returned, and now got reused. The RallyComp units themselves are a separate story.
    Stagehand likes this.
  6. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    do we have to supply the microSD chip for the GPS?

any info on the Sat phone deal?
  7. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Your GPS needs to be able to record tracks for a full day, so if the RallyComp fails you have a backup copy of where you went, for scoring. Normally tracks are recorded to GPS internal memory in newer models, not the microSD card. So, as long as your GPS can record tracks without a microSD card, you do not need the card installed. We actually prefer if your microSD card is removed for the event. We currently do not expect we will add any tracks or waypoints or maps to your GPS, or make any changes to its setting. All the GPS requirements are on the website here: http://sonorarally.com/details/gps.html

The updated Sat phone deal is on the website, way down on the "Details" page: http://sonorarally.com/details/index.html
  8. LC4Dakar

LC4Dakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI: The sat phone insurance only covers damage. Not fire or loss.
  9. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt!

Oddometer:
    I thought you ATT worked everywhere in Baja!?

:lol3
  10. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is for my riders they have to carry them on the bikes. :dllama:
  11. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Hopefully nobody going to Sonora ends up in Baja during the race, otherwise they would be severely lost or are taking a shortcut that won't work out!
  12. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Eric Hall having fun at the Sonora Rally navigation school.
    DC950, DeepSea, KZJohn and 2 others like this.
  13. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heads up Sonora competitors... RMS/ICO will be closed next week. I'm off to race in Portugal before returning for Sonora.

Go ahead and place any orders online and we'll ship starting March 6th. Otherwise, drop me an email and I can respond while I'm away.

Cheers,
    Dave
  14. NV Dezert Dog

NV Dezert Dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Heading to Dumont for some road book training this week, who's down to prepare themselves for Sonora Rally?
  15. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I sent two sets of "Pahrump Loops" and "Dumont South Loop" roadbooks to NV Desert Dog so he can get some navigation experience. This is his first time with a roadbook (and first time on ADV). He's looking for someone with at least a tiny bit of roadbook experience to join him. Who's up for that?
  16. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    BucketHead likes this.
  17. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    SONORA RALLY RECORD ENTRY!!

This years Yokohama Sonora Rally will see a record number of competitors tackle North America’s premier rally raid. With entries from Japan, Hong Kong, South Africa, Canada, the US and Mexico, Sonora Rally is approaching the entry cap of 50 entries 3 weeks before the green flag is set to drop. Sonora Rally organizers will accept 5 additional competitors before closing entries, so we encourage you to enter ASAP and reserve one of the few remaining spots before the entry fee goes up MARCH 1st.
    ENTER HERE
  18. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
  20. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Many world top riders are going overseas to another event that moved their date in conflict with ours. In the past the top guys tended to enter Sonora at the last minute, so we won't know for sure who will attend until race day. If they don't come, it opens up the front of the field for the next level of top guys.

Word is the other event is not very fun for the competitors and many of them wanted to come to Sonora instead but the factory teams were already committed before the date change. There is some talk that next year Sonora may be on the radar for the factory teams and some others from overseas since HRC came away from Sonora last year with very high regards for our rally, and they have been spreading the word.