sorry -noob question about throttle-800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by northernogar, Mar 20, 2009.

1. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is it just me or do you really have to give it alot more throttle from a stand still? i feel likei have to hit higher ripem's and the clutch is not that quick to engage... kinda made me a litle nervous in heavy stop and go traffic....take into account i have never driven any bike on tarmac.....only exp i have is dirt but this bike does slide around corners nice, so i am used to the little bit of "slip" , tarmac is not so forgiving i have come to learn
  2. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most have actually described the throttle in the F8 as "snatchy" or "jumpy." I call it "touchy." :D I end up having to use more clutch work to keep the operation smooth. Speaking of the power, I have yet to be wanting more power from this bike. If anything, it's more power than I need! I think you might be used to dirt bikes that weigh less than half of what the F800GS weighs!:dunno
  3. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Can't say that I've noticed it?? Have you tried adjusting the clutch lever a little so it is closer to the bars? Look in the manual.
  4. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes you are right about the less weight thing, the gs i am not quit used to yet (the weight) so i am not the only one using the clutch all the time then ....good to know, i just felt like a dumbass at a corner and i want to turn, the bike is sounding like it wants to take a shit and the driver beside you looking at you "like is your bike ok":lol3

5. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Whew! Tell me about it. Commuting this morning I could see that I was going to get boxed in, so just a little twist and I went from 70 to 90 quicker than snot on a snail!
  6. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for answering, i do love this bike- i just need more saddle time on tarmac with this bike so i guess this means there will be alot of early sat or sun morning rides in my future
  7. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Life's a bitch, eh? :lol3

My 2 cents on the throttle are that off-pavement I prefer second gear to first to get rid of the touchiness. I've always been a clutch slipper to make any bike smoother, so I can't say the in-town performance is better or worse than other bikes.

I also installed Vario lever$ the bring the controls even closer to the bar.
  8. Trout

Trout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed when I picked up the bike the throttle had A LOT of play and the clutch release/engage was VERY grabby - I'm used to feeding clutch out. I've adjusted both clutch cable/throttle a little and adjusted my riding a little. It's now a few weeks later and we get along fine.

Congrats on the bike! Enjoy!
  9. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:

ya tear out of suburbia 6am on sat morn:D
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted this on another thread, but in case it was missed. I have been complaining about the twitchy throttle for 5mos and 4500 mi. I read this thread, tried taking the slack out of the cable and it works.
    http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...t=20868&page=2
    <!-- / message -->
  11. northernogar

northernogar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ya i read that one it was good advice that i did, i am going out tomorrow should be 2 degree C tomorrow:vardy
  12. Eightbll101

Eightbll101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I first started riding mine, I almost stalled it a couple of times. I didn't even think about clutch adjustment. I guess after about 1000 mile I've become accustomed to it.
  13. Eightbll101

Eightbll101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, maybe a dozen times. But don't tell anyone.
  14. Mista Toad

Mista Toad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow...I guess it's where you're coming from...

I'm used to sportbikes (Kawa zx-6r, specifically), so to me, all that torque makes the bike totally twitchy and quick from a standstill. When I have passengers, I feel their weight displacing (i.e., just about to fall off the back)...

I guess it's just the opposite coming from thumpers on dirt...
  15. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    I'm a new rider (1 month) and thought it was just me making the throttle twitchy. Just turned over 1000 miles on my F8GS and while I'm getting smoother all the way around, there are still times when it's a "whoa shit" moment especially starting off.

I took it on a moderately rough jeep road this weekend for the first time and found I really did a lot better with the throttle control through the bumpy parts in 2nd or 3rd. Pretty amazing how well it handled overall even with my new-butt on it.

RobStar