Sorting out my R90/6 (sprouty115)

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by sprouty115, Sep 13, 2017.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of free hours today so i thought I might see how far I could get with the fairing.

I knew I needed to install the longer turn signal stalks and I know that involves pulling quite a bit off the bike, but I did it before and I documented the steps so it all went pretty smoothly, including torquing the upper support bracket nuts and the steering stem nut.

So after an hour or so, I was at this point:
    20190519_144546.jpg

According to the directions I am supposed to slide the fairing onto the left side stalk.
    20190519_144533.jpg

Then stretch the fairing open and slip it over the right stalk.

20190519_144528.jpg

Except that something doesn't seem right...
    20190519_144546.jpg

Because, I would have to pull the bottom of the fairing more than - 2"!

Since that did not seem like it was going to happen without me damaging something, I decided I should send the pics to Flatracer and see what they say...
  2. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    sprouty115 the dry fitting for the fairing is a good idea. I wanted lower bars so ordered a set and the shorter cables, I thought I had ordered a set that came on the S90s but the ones I received were way to narrow. So I decided to stick with the US bars ...but I had to order stock length cables. Live and learn. Your bike is looking great.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  3. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is scary to spread it that far! I think you need to fit the eccentric rubber pieces before installation too... zw30.JPG
    sprouty115 likes this.
  4. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, I just checked the installation guide again and installing the eccentric bushing was part of the fairing prep. Thanks, I missed that.
    Screenshot_20190519-161219_Drive.jpg

Also, you may be right (about how much it has to flex), but I just sent an email to Flatracer to make sure I hear it from them.
  5. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I think what I'm figuring out is that you just need to sort out the cables by getting whatever works with the bars you want to use.
    WRC51 likes this.
  6. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    While I wait for a response from Flatracer, I had a thought - maybe the fairing has taken a "set"?
    If so, then it might be better to gently ease it back a bit wider, rather than all at once.

It goes to about 12 3/8" with as much force as feel comfortable applying right now. Let's see how it feels in a few days. If it relaxes a bit then I'll add another paint stick...
    20190519_180536.jpg
    globalt38 and aptbldr like this.
  7. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Consider putting the jigged fairing in a sunny window or in a box with a space heater.
    Bigger Al and sprouty115 like this.
  8. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Flatracer got back to me this morning - they say it's fine...

"Our fairing is slightly thicker and stronger than the original (which cracked and got damaged easily) but also quite flexible. You will have no problems spreading the lower ends to fit over the stalks, however, do it gently and slowly and try to spread the load with your hands over the greatest area possible.
    I recently did this on my own 1983 BMW R80 and yes, you had to apply a bit of strength but it went in fine."

Ok, so with some pre-stretching and a bit of heat I'll give it a go today or tomorrow - fingers-crossed...
  9. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always found that stretching the fairing is just fine, and that it needs to keep it's original shape to fit properly. The only things holding the lower portion firmly in place are the turn signal bodies, and they sometimes don't grip with the authority it takes to keep the fairing from rattling. YMMV.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  10. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    They stretch pretty well, in my experience. Don't pull both sides out at the same time. Put one side on then pull the other out to fit. It's not bad. Make sure your cables and everything are run prior to fitting it.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    you would be blown away by how much you can spread the lowers on an RS or OT.

You wanted a ground wire in those turn signal stalks but you would have to pull them and the headlight ears to get it in now.
  12. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    You know, I thought about it, and then it was getting late...

I am going to try two different handlebars that I picked up so maybe I'll reconsider and do it then?
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    The fairing is made of a thermosetting resin. once it hs cured that is it, it won't move. Heat will have no effect. A thermoplastic resin would be a very different story. In polyesters there are many formulas, one of which is flex resin. Very flexible, Often combined with impact resin in small boat construction. A fairing would have no need for impact resin, if it gets a hit it will be a big one. Just buy another fairing. Very different than a $3000 kayak.

Things get tricky when the part is painted. The paint may not be so flexible and may crack. Consult with the painter.
  14. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I'm about to give it a go over the weekend - I'll post back how it goes...
  15. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    And it's on!

20190523_175957.jpg

But let me tell you - it took WAY more pulling than I ever imagined to get it to flex out and over that turn signal stalk...here is what I did.

Step 1 - fit washer on left stalk, then lubricate the eccentric bushing and slide that on. Repeat for other side.

Step 2 - tuck turn signal wires on both sides back into stalk then fit fairing on left stalk, and sort of align the rubber bushing with the fairing hole.

Step 3 - grab the back edge of the right side of the fairing and somewhere under the front headlight and pull.

Step 4 - increase pulling until you almost pull the bike over on its side. Stop just before that happens and think really hard about the fact that you almost pulled the bike over in your yard...

Step 5 - go get 25yo son and say "sit on the bike and don't let it tip over when I pull on this fairing".

Step 6 - commence to pulling but stop again as you start to pivot the bike on the center stand. Marvel at how much force it is taking to pull on this ridiculously strong fairing.

Step 7 - tell son to REALLY hang on, then brace your knee on the front tire and pull with all your strength, this will barely get you to the edge of the fairing.

Step 8 - repeat four more times.

Step 9 - brace foot on tire and pull even harder and finally get the fairing over the stalk.

Step 10 - spend 20 minutes poking at the eccentric rubber bushing trying to rotate it in the hole so both sides are in same alignment. Get them close enough and then give up, realizing you should have lined them up before you started.

Step 11 - step back and consider for a minute that you have to take it back off, get it painted, then put it all back on. Reconsider whether or not a fully white fairing would look good on your bike. Decide that you're going to just leave it be for now...

Btw - it didn't crack - this is one MF'ing tough fairing!
  16. Plaka

Oddometer:
    ....looks nice in white.....
    sprouty115 likes this.
  17. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I agree. I will eventually get it painted, but for now I'm going to enjoy it for a bit.
    20190524_155428.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised to see that I could get to the headlight with it on (had to replace the turn signal relay and rotate the glass).

20190524_155343.jpg

Btw, I also have the rubber trim ring for the headlight but haven't put that on yet. Will probably not get installed until it gets painted if I have to take the fairing off to put it on.
    globalt38 and WRC51 like this.
  18. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to say though - it looks better than I thought it would white...
    WRC51, aptbldr and sprouty115 like this.
  19. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking that the US bars would be too high to fit with the fairing. Do you know what bars are on your bike? The fairing is looking great on your bike....
  20. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Yes, the US bars would look very odd and may not fit. Currently I have the Flanders Flat Sidecar bars. If they were about 2" higher I think they would be perfect, having said that, the more I ride the bike, the more I like them, so who knows...
    WRC51 likes this.