1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Sound from front wheel? Does this sound like bearing or brake pad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mangasm, Aug 11, 2019.

1. mangasm

mangasm n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone! Riding 401 Husky Svartpilen.

Noticed especially while keeping the clutch in a kind of surging squealing/squeaking from the front wheel (pretty sure) while riding. Planning to try and bring by somewhere that can lift it up this week and try rotating the wheel to hone in on the source of the sound but wanted to see if anyone could identify by sound before then.

It is a squeaking that surges over and over again. Of course most obvious when clutched in and I can hear it quite loudly over anything other than the motor.

It is lightly through the whole clip but is most noticeable right before the end at maybe 3 seconds (before I let out the clutch). Bike only has ~2100 mi. on it so shouldn't be a loose bearing right? Though that is what it sounds like to my novice ears..!

https://soundcloud.com/mangasm/motorcycle-wheel-sound

Thank you for any input!
  2. mangasm

mangasm n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any input? Safe to ride down to the mechanic? :eek:
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    The file won't make a sound for me.

But, if you can make the noise change/abate by dragging the front brake, it's the brakes. If it makes no difference, it's a wheel bearing. Since you describe pulsing, I'm going to speculate it's the brakes, warped rotor in particular.
    sieg likes this.
  4. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    All I heard was wind noise. You'll have to get a better soundclip, but I suspect it's a warped rotor if anything.
  5. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    Feel the disc after a short ride, if the disc is warped it will probably be hot whether or not you use the brakes. You´d have to get the front wheel off the ground to check the play in the wheel bearing.
  6. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sound clip was pretty useless. Wind noise and some flapping around.

Raise the front, spin it by hand and check for looseness in the bearings. Or anything else.
  7. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    that
    Then push the pads back away from the disc, with the kickstand down, tip the bike so the front wheel is off the ground and spin the wheel with your foot...listen for the noise.
    If it's gone it was the brakes, if it's still making the noise it's the bearings.
    jmo,
    :D
    sieg likes this.