Sound of Europe Tour

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Jun 17, 2019.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Just telling it like it's happening here in the US. I really dig scooters but for for several reasons they are not selling from all the different dealers and industry people I talk with.

Since I love em I ask who buys the ones that do sell. It's older men downsizing big time and 49cc to those that can't a liscense.

A few women are buying but they mostly want to ride the motos the men ride.

I've been all over the EU and it's surely not the case there. I think it's a perception here in the US they are not "real machines".
    Maybe the Honda X-Adv look will change things?

There are some pockets where scooters sell but not enough to create a nice market for the mfg.

The storyline also goes here that college students should be all over them everywhere...they are not. Bicycles are king and then after that they all want this look and style
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/juiced-scorpion-moped-style-e-bike

All I here about is e-moped this, e-moped that. Big wheels and open frame, an e-bicycle ramped up in looks. The e-Vespa is NOT that look! There is no nostalgia for an iconic Vespa look for younger US buyers.

HD is actually tuned in correctly with this concept https://motorbikewriter.com/harley-davidson-electric-bicycle-scooter/
    kpinvt likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep the small wheel stand up electric rental scooter is very quickly morphing into a traditional sit down machine. I spend time reading the electric machine blogs and websites and all the companies have big plans.

NIU is coming on strong
    https://electrek.co/2019/05/29/revel-adds-1000-electric-mopeds-nyc/
    https://www.niu.com/en/
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Unless the mfg change up and add this look, style and electric machine to their line they are going to find their gas machines sitting unsold in the corner while new companies like NIU blow them away.

We might not like the demise of the gas engine but the younger generation of buyers are quickly moving away from it, especially in the 2 wheel small city transportation space.

Will be interesting to see what shows at the Tokyo Motor Show this year and how Nippon Inc responds to China Inc machines.
    https://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd love for you guys to prove me wrong...but the writing is clear as day on the wall in the US.

I see this design winning by a wide margin in sales # is because you can pedal it at times when you need to be in bicycle mode for parking or access to bicycle only places.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/juiced-scorpion-moped-style-e-bike#/

I do think the prolific use of this pedal/all-electric type of machine in town will lead into the desire to ride an pure electric "fast" machine out of town as this younger group has more descretionary $. Battery & motors will get faster and stronger.
    VS
    Driving your car out of town.
    kpinvt likes this.
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I think you're probably right that the electric scooters and maybe motorcycles will dominate soon. One thing I wonder about is the fate of our roads as the tax revenue from gasoline and diesel sales falls and the number of registrations of vehicles declines. California right now doesn't require registration of the stand up scooters. Mopeds are registered once and that's it forever.
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very few states allow you to ride a scooter when you lost your license due to DUI.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Could be. Colorado does not require a drivers license at all to ride a 49cc scooter and I've heard that is true in other states.
    Thus you hop on a 49cc. When I was selling my wive's 200 Kymco most everyone asked at first is it 49cc, I don't have a dl.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the idea of an outdoor, downtown concert with no sound system except for Bluetooth headphones on the same channel.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Not true https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/low-power-scooter you need a drivers license or minors drivers license for a 50cc in Colorado. What you do not need is a motorcycle license.

50cc and under laws by state http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooter-state-laws.html

edit: I went through the list and double checked a few that weren’t clear on the Genuine list. The only state that does not require a license of some sort whether regular car, moped or motorcycle license to reside a sub 50cc scooter is Noerth Carolina. A fair number allow you to ride a 49cc or less on a car license. Some will allow a moped at 14 or 15 with a moped license but that’s the minimum.
    eakins likes this.
  12. ChairmanMaose

ChairmanMaose OneLessCar

Oddometer:
    I always felt the most inspiring scooter videos were the SIP road-trip series of vids. I look forward every year to a new one. One of these days I'll buy a vintage scoot and ride it on weekends.

13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ah thanks, I was told the wrong legal info.
    We don't tag 49cc and infact many of those who lost their license still use one either way.
    You ride it in the right bicycle shoulder.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually did the same thing out of curiosity. OTOH, LEO's must not bother the likker cycle riders as I see them going down the shoulders of roads now and then. I also see Hispanics (those who haven't gravitated to construction jobs) in my nearest city on 49cc scoots and bicycles riding to work, etc.. That same city has gone from the bikes for rent and leave them to electric bikes and I never see them used much away from campus or in the smallish DT area. Lots of commenters saying the electric bikes with no endoresement yet reaching speeds similar to a small scooter bode more accidents.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Vespa video does the exact same may commercial Euro tour companies do (not the MC tour companies so much) it's built around the major cities. If you look up a major tour company most all tours use major cities and hotels as the layovers. MC folks go for the roads not the urban riding as the Vespa video promises. Those cities do have their attractions but the last video, as my e.g., is about Madrid, which is not a major part of the trip I have planned for my wife & I. Mine we fly into Barcelona and travel the mtns across to the France/Spain border at the Atlantic-zero really large cities up there. Then we'll head S toward a few cities passing through Madrid on a train, then back in a car for smaller cities like Sevilla but focused on the mostly focused on the hill towns. My idea of a great scooter ride is not slogging through 8 million people.
    Wentwest likes this.
  16. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Well you do sort of tag a 50cc requires a moped sticker at $5.85 for 3 years. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/low-power-scooter

When I took my MSF course in Texas the first question asked by the structure was who was there because a judge ordered them to attend after being caught riding without a license. It seems more common for people to ride without a motorcycle license than drive a car without a drivers license