Soundbomb compact with EzCAN or canSMART ...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CoOlSlY, Feb 17, 2019.

1. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have this setup? I see some threads with the Soundbomb mini or the Soundbomb split but none with the Soundbomb compact (?).

I'm interested in the delay that occurs when pressing the button, is it noticeable?

Also, if I disconnect the factory horn, does it throw a code on the TFT or just a code when retrieving it via the ODB port?
  2. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a Denali Compact SoundBomb and Fiamm AM80S Mini-Blaster controlled by the Hex EzCan on my '15 GS.

Works great, and is *terrifyingly* loud.

Don't disconnect the stock horn-- just let it do its thing or you will get an error. It's more or less unnoticeable, so no worries there.

No delay that I can tell on horn actuation.

One thing of note-- there are two different brackets for the Compact-- depending on exactly when your bike was manufactured, it will determine which bracket you need. I think the split was midway through 2015?

R.

3. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Just hooked up the sound Bomb Mini, left the stock horn.. I put it thru the Denali CanSmart and have no idea why anyone to make a louder noise... Scary Loud and they both go off together ..
  4. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    The other option, and it can be cheaper if you don't think you will be adding anything else that needs EZCan (a slick bit of kit though) Twisted Throttle has a good kit that uses the existing horn output to fire an independent solenoid, no CANBus issues.
  5. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just hooked up my new SoundBomb to the CanSmart using the Denali bracket. I must have got a dud. Horn sounds like a loud groan. Hooked the horn directly to a battery with the same results. Bought it from Revzilla and I noticed that the box had been opened before - the flap was slightly torn. Argh! This one is going back.:dirtdog

ETA:
    Doh! My bad. The + and - leads where reversed. All good now.
    todcp likes this.
  6. BlackbirdMoto

BlackbirdMoto www.BlackbirdMoto.com

Oddometer:
    If you hook up a second horn to a CANSwitch, you can choose to have it sound simultaneously, or choose a delay.
    Some people like the stock horn first then the secondary horn sound if the horn button is held for more than 1 second... or if the horn button is pressed 3 times in a row.
    This way you can use the stock, less offensive, horn when you dont want to be so loud but use the air horn for when you need to REALLY get noticed.
  7. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hooked up the Denali Soundbomb Compact to the canSMART and there's a "noticeable" delay when pressing the first time the horn. At first, with a quick press of the horn, the Soundbomb Compact didn't even triggered but the stock one yes. The second time was ok but there's definitely a delay for those reading this thread.
  8. ICohen424

ICohen424 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem when I had my Soundbomb connected to my EZcan and couldnt get past it. I since got a CANSwitch (different product), and it sounds immediately every time. Maybe it was an output issue or something... dunno.
  9. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANSwitch or canSMART you're talking about?
  10. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just made a search and found the CANSwitch, interesting. "Sad" to see the EZcan and canSMART having a delay...
  11. ICohen424

Oddometer:
    CANSwitch. Site is www.BlackbirdMoto.com
    BlackbirdMoto likes this.
  12. ICohen424

Oddometer:
    For me, the big benefit is 8 outputs and unlimited customizations. If you can think of the logic, this thing can do it.
    BlackbirdMoto likes this.
  13. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The downside, there's no possibility to lower the intensity for a 3 wire led from what I read, am I right?
  14. ICohen424

Oddometer:
    No, you would choose the correct 2 of the 3 wires. 1 is the ground, the other is the alternate (not the constant power).
    If you choose the constant, it will still work but it may flicker from time to time depending on your bike and lights... but will still work.

I use the dimming for night/day as well as for brights and I use flash to pass with the brights and the horn.
  15. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing to maybe consider on the CanSwitch?

Just perusing the owner's manual- it looks like you'll have to cut the end of the light plugs to connect bare wires to this?

I may very well be wrong, but at on my HexCan, it was literally "plug and play" with the Denali lights.

And fwiw, no horn delay for me with the SoundBomb and HexCan.

R.
  16. ICohen424

Oddometer:
    Yes, you have to cut the wires but on one of my bikes, I used a wire tap so I didn’t have to cut anything. My other bike I just cut it because the first one worked perfectly.
  17. BlackbirdMoto

Oddometer:
    @CoOlSlY no, thats incorrect. CANSwitch is perfectly capable of dimming lights with 2 or 3 wires, or controlling power intensity of just about anything, including heated gear.
  18. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does it manage it with a 3 wire light? You use two wires?

I stand corrected, thank you
  19. BlackbirdMoto

Oddometer:
    Yes, you would just utilize 2 wires.
    No problem. Happy to help!
    ICohen424 likes this.
  20. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hooked up the soundbomb with the Denali bracket on a 1250GS and it rubs pretty bad on the brake line... Side note, the D4 with the 1250GS makes the aux lights impossible to mount on the upside, it rubs on the fairing.

Any ideas what to do with the Soundbomb to avoid it to rub on the brake line so much? (I'll post a pic)