Soundbomb compact with EzCAN or canSMART ...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CoOlSlY, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ICohen424

ICohen424 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mounted it under the front fender, to the upper bars, and used some zip ties to keep it in place on my Rallye, I assume its not too different on the 1250. I know they say the compressor should be straight up but it worked just fine sideways.
  2. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO the Soundbomb and D4's are fantastic products but can't say the same for the brackets... They should be perfect at the price they ask for the brackets IMO.
    ICohen424 likes this.
  3. ICohen424

ICohen424 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. They make an excellent bracket for the 800GS the 1200/1250 should be a better seller.
  4. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm installing a Denali Soundbomb Compact with the Denali mount now on my 2018 R1200GS and the bottom of the horn sits on top of the front brake line with the bike up on the center stand - I think this situation will get much worse once the bike is off the center stand.

I'm going to call Denali about this. If they don't have a fix I will be returning the horn, mount, wiring harness, and CANBUS adapter to the seller for a refund and looking for some other solution for a proper horn installation.

I notice on the Denali website that they show this same horn/front brake line impingement on the pictures accompanying their detail about this mount. "Hindsight is 20/20."

https://denalielectronics.com/collections/horn-mounts/products/hmt-07-10700
  5. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just clicked on your link and yeah, this is EXACTLY what i'm experiencing. Let me know what they said after your call, I emailed them, will also post back but it's frustrating paying for a "bike specific" mount and have issues with clearance... I would gladly send everything back (D4's, led bracket, canSMART, Soundbomb, horn bracket) but with all the cables i've ran from the rear to the front, I would prefer a PROPER solution/bracket.
  6. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cutting this part would help ...
    Capture2.PNG
  7. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called Denali and described the issue to them and pointed out that their own website photo shows the horn/front brake line impingement with the forks extended. They discussed it internally and came back with (1) I could put some sort of sheath over the brake line to protect it from the horn, and (2) they thought this situation was alright.

I don't think this situation is in any way acceptable, so with no acceptable solution available, I called the seller, Twisted Throttle, and they immediately agreed to a return for full refund and they are covering the return shipping.

I may go with a Denali Soundbomb Mini, which would involve replacement of the original horn. I'm going to measure the original horn and mount area and see if it looks like the Soundbomb Mini would fit. Twisted Throttle told me that on some bikes the Soundbomb Mini would not fit in the original horn's area without cutting away some plastic, which I won't be doing. The Soundbomb Mini's dimensions are 3.25 X 3.50 X 2.50 inches. The Soundbomb Mini is supposed to be twice as loud as the original horn. The Soundbomb Compact is supposed to be four times as loud as the original horn.

Perhaps someone will someday make a mount that will keep a Soundbomb Compact or Stebel Nautilus sized horn clear of the forks and brake line on a 2018 R1200GS.
  8. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's disappointing... Twisted throttle would take it back but that was not the scenario I expected...
  9. azrunner

azrunner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was planning to install the SoundBomb compact with the Denali mount on my 2018 R1200GS this weekend. Given the fitment issues I think I'll return the horn and mount and install a BMW OEM car horn as described by Tim2Wheel instead.
    GSBruce likes this.
  10. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Soundbomb Mini will not fit in place of the original horn on my 2016 1200 gsa. I ended up going with the Compact.
  11. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles have you done with it? What kind of roads? Any wear on the brake line so far...?
  12. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If enough people return it, they might react and do something to make a better design of the bracket!
    GSBruce likes this.
  13. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very few miles since installing. I hadn't given it much thought, but perhaps it would be prudent to put a piece of split loom conduit around the brake line to eliminate any chaffing issues. No big deal.
  14. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am more concerned with a full front shock travel, the front brake line will get a lot of bending imo but I don't have a lot of knowledge in the distance it travels and the damages that could results by this travel on the brake line rubbing on the horn.
    GSBruce likes this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has been on for three years. It occasionally touches the brake line, but there is no mark on either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done ~1000km yesterday and today and I went a bit offroad and also hit a few potholes, you can see the tape i've put has some wear, it will wear for sure on the long run, i'll continue to monitor it!
  17. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those thinking of doing the Soundbomb and Denali bracket, my tape was even punctured. Will I keep it? I dunno, everything is rooted under the tank.

And care to say, Denali didn't even bothered to answer my email. I didn't called but no reply to my message asking what I could do or solution(s).
  18. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also had some contact on mine...I wrapped it in a nylon hose and will keep an eye on it. Not ideal for sure.

IMG_4120.jpg
    GSBruce likes this.
  19. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering, i'm not a mechanic at all but is there anybody worried or concerned about the suspension travelling with the soundbomb and brake line hose (I mean, is it ok if the brake hose flex a lot on rough/off road)? I still just don't understand why Denali sells a bracket that rubs on wear the brake line...
    GSBruce likes this.
  20. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, is it me or you mounted the "firing" side of the horn towards your seat instead of the "other" drivers? Any reasons? I mounted it like jpbadonk and Bobo