Soundbomb compact with EzCAN or canSMART ...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CoOlSlY, Feb 17, 2019.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, eeps the driven rain and water out. Still plenty loud.
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just want to let you guys know that we have seen these recent comments, and I have sent them off directly to the Denali designers.

For a bit of an explanation, they responded by letting me know they develop mounts on one motorcycle year, and the application carries on throughout new generations. On the bike they did the development, the horn was close to the brake line but not rubbing against it. They also said, "Now that folks in the community have brought this to our attention we will look to revise the mount or provide something in the kit that will prevent any contact between the horn and the brake line."

They are, as of right now, working on a fix for this! If you emailed or posted comments here on ADV Rider, thank you for the input--we do see it, and very much appreciate it!

The Twisted Throttle Team
    www.TwistedThrottle.com
    BruceWA, Fosters, sonnystile and 2 others like this.
  3. DMack_762

DMack_762 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ALL:

I have the Denali canSMART, D4, D2, Soundbomb Compact installed on my 2019 R1250GS Adventure. I had no issues with the brake lines, using the Denali mount.

Now, for the record, I have Wunderlich Ergo Bar Backs... so, maybe that re-positions the brake line?

Soundbomb 1.jpg

Attached Files:

4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since BMW is asking a ridiculous price for their OEM horn, here is a great alternative.. Vemo V20-77-0005. When you google that item, various sellers pop up to take your pick from....:deal
    This as an alternative that fits in the OEM place on the bike without (re)wiring anything.
  5. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey!

I want to give you a quick run down. First, we have seen the comments and pictures here, and I have also heard from customer service that there have been concerns mounting the Soundbomb with the Denali bracket on the '17-'18 GS/GSAs, and how it may touch the brake lines. We are looking into it and seeing what the problem is.

We have started trying to keep an eye on this forum, as your comments and feedback are some of the best info we can get. We strive to make our products be the ones you want, that work for you. If you have a question regarding our products, please Contact Us -- we want to hear from you.

Thank you for your input!

Your Denali Design Team
    www.DenaliElectronics.com
  6. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DENALI, when would you guess your new mounting bracket to properly mount your Soundbomb Compact on a 2018 R1200GS will be available for sale?
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  7. DENALI Electronics

Oddometer:
    @GSBruce -- Thanks for asking! I will ask our engineer what the timeline is on that and post back here!

The Denali Design Team
  8. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Denali... I do think you do good products like the soundbomb and the "foglight" *BUT*, I sent you two messages, both stayed unanswered. They were both asking for precisions on fitting issues like the brake hose rubbing on the soundbomb, no answer. Now, you say you listen to customers, you should have tested your brackets on the 2019 instead of having customers test it and then return the product...

I have nothing to say other than good words for Twisted Throttle, they were very helpful.
  9. DENALI Electronics

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

I have news on the Soundbomb mount/brake line rub fix. Our head designer and engineer are working on protection for the brake line which will be included in the kit once it is developed. If you have already purchased the mount and Soundbomb, this will be provided to you free of charge. They are expecting it to be available next month, and I will absolutely post that information up here when it is.

The Denali Design Team
    jpbadonk and JimVonBaden like this.
  10. DENALI Electronics

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  11. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is quite disappointing - I would prefer to see Denali design a mount that doesn't assume brake line/horn impingement going in.

Accepting an improper design and designing a "patch"/bandaid to cover the ill effects due to the improper design is not how proper design and engineering is carried out.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is cheaper to split a rubber hose and hold it on with zip ties than to redesign and replace all the mounts they have already sold.
    jpbadonk likes this.
  13. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We can all go buy some protective plastic. I was just under the impression that a bike specific mount wouldn't get me to route the cables under the tank, install the bracket/horn to finally end up having to put tape or protective plastic... Also, i've done 5000km and the three layers of tape i've put were gone + the shrink was partially puntured, 2 layers of tapes were remaining. Of course, i've been offered to take everything back but everything is routed, tapes, under the tank.

I'm also disappointed. Same goes for the led light bracket that you now suggest to mount them upside down (the D4's), the cables were also routed, when mounted up, they were rubbing on the front plastic, upside down, it works properly... I just don't get it...

image_8002.jpg
  14. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m ok with the solution...seems pretty similar to what I set up for about $2 in materials from ace hardware. I also have enough materials left to replace the liner 3 times but I don’t think I’ll need to. If anything the plastic on the horn will wear and I don’t anticipate that having any real impact.
  15. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm more interested in what are the consequences of flexing the brake hose a lot when off-roading or even on very bad pavement
    GSBruce likes this.
  16. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not an engineer, but brake hoses like this are typically used where flex is expected. Hard lines are used otherwise. Sometimes they rub a strut housing when the steering is fully turned or the suspension is fully compressed or extended. That's why the line is already protected with stainless braiding and nylon outer coating. The stainless braining is just another liner - inside that is the actual flexible brake line. I've added an additional nylon coating to mine for extra security around the abrasion because it is happening all the time, not just at the extremes.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  17. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My concern is that without the Soundbomb, the travel of the front wheel/brake hose as a lot of clearance compared to with the Soundbomb. That means the flex of the hose is a lot more "abrupt" with the Soundbomb compared to without it, that's my main concern.
    jpbadonk likes this.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Non-issue.
    emidyl and jpbadonk like this.
  19. DENALI Electronics

Oddometer:
    Update!

We have completed the the Brake Line Protector Kit for the R1200GS/R1250GS SoundBomb Horn Mount. Moving forwards the mounting brackets will include the the brake line protector kit.

We also have made standalone Brake Line Protector Kits. These will be available to existing customers free of charge. The part number for the kit is HMT.07.011 There are two ways to get yours--you can call or email DENALI at 401-360-2550 or info@denalielectronics.com to get set up with the kit.

brakeretrofitGS.jpg SBbrakeprotection.jpg
    Thank you for your feedback and patience!

The Denali Electronics Team
    BruceWA, Fosters, _Gir_ and 1 other person like this.
  20. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent a message to Denali and got an answer "We had customer use wire loom", I was asking to receive the protector kit but that's what I got so, how can we proceed since e-mailing info@denalielectronics.com didn't worked.