Soundbomb compact with EzCAN or canSMART ...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CoOlSlY, Feb 17, 2019.

1. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @DENALI Electronics @twistedthrottle

I already sent in an email and I know you're closed until Tuesday but I installed the horn in the location specified, hit a pothole and this is the result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    _Gir_ and deadflagblues like this.
  3. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear Denali, here's a message I sent:

Sent this message (about the protective tubing). Got no answers. Sent another one, no answer. Sent you a message on advrider, no answer. Posted publicly (here), you told me to send a private message which I've done again, no answer..... At least don't apologize and don't say anything if you plan not to answer...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Purchased my CANsmart, D4, B6 and Soundbomb horn from Twisted Throttle. Learned of the possible front brake line contact with horn and resulting "high-tech" fix: a 3 inch wrap around sheath and 2 small cable ties. Called Twisted and they sent the (no charge, retail value: $0.37) protective kit to me - received it in 48 hours. The fix is a complete joke... will monitor closely if any contact and scrap horn if needed. Would not have purchased this horn if known in advance, as this setup is not really compatible with this bike ('17 R1200 GSA). Great product, works as advertised, but is a bit too large for the intended installation space. Misleading marketing.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. Flawedmasterpiece

Flawedmasterpiece n00b

Oddometer:
    I just purchased one of these last week and having found this thread I will be sending it back. The point of the horn was to make yourself safer to those traveling around you. Not going to put something on my bike that could cause injury to me and my rider. Maybe when the “engineers” really do some investigation into a better mount will I reconsider. Bandaids just don’t make the cut to a potential serious problem.
    Solo Moto likes this.
  6. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done, IMHO you did the right thing.
  7. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Maybe they’ll get a clue... eventually.
  8. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The design and engineering team has seen your comments, and would like you to know we have looked at the brake line rub on the 2017-18 GSs very carefully. When mounted in the designed space, the line does come into contact with the horn, as the line does in several other places where it is routed through the bike.

When the problem was discovered and brought to our attention, we came up with a solution that we feel is safe. If we did not feel it was safe, we would have recalled the entire lot.

Should any customer feel the brake line needs more protection, we have two options--we will send the protection kit free of charge, or you can return the product to us and we will refund your money. No problem on either of these fronts.

We will be taking a look again, to see if there is an acceptable alternate place on the bikes to mount the horn. When we find one, we will create a new mount for the horn for these models.

Our goal is to make riders feel safer. Thanks for reading and giving us feedback.

Your Denali Design Team
  9. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those worried, I have put over 3k miles on mine and have had just one issue. The line protector I made looks like it did when I put it on. The issue? I had to tighten one of the crimp connectors as one was coming loose.

Up past here now...

IMG_4477.jpg
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang, Adam. You scratched it up, buddy!

I have one of those air horns. I think mine is from another source. The same thing is available from many places.

I've ridden with it for about 2 years and a little over 20k miles on and off road with no problems.

When I installed the horn (powered through my HexEzCAN), I started to fabricate a hanger bracket myself but I opted for the piece sold by Twisted Throttle. Yes, that location is a tight fit and I worried about the very same sort of issue that you have experienced.

Relocating the horn position is a challenge on this bike.

The only suggestion from me if you use the TT bracket is to tighten that sumbich tight. There is not much purchase of the mounting bolt onto that little slot of the horn body.

I also noticed the brake line rub issue on mine but I improvised a protective covering for the hose and I have experienced no problems.

I posted all of this a long time ago but I cannot find my post !

DENALI Electronics likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I wanted to post just an update on this with most likely a thread for issue + resolution once I have one for the benefit of the community.

Initially, I was not thrilled with the Twisted throttle response because based on the questionnaire I received, my gut-reaction was that they were trying to find any reason to not work with me. I was wrong. At the MOA Rally, the Twisted Throttle team was busy all day and after hours installing hundreds of Denali kits on people's bikes. These guys and girls were working their butts off so on day 2, end of day I went up and asked for some advice on the sound bomb's mounting bracket and Louise directed me to Nate as the "expert" turns out Nate wasn't just a sales-rep, he was the designer of the mount for the Soundbomb on our GS bikes. I opened with the issue I was having assuming he had no idea about the situation....

wrong again!

"we've been the 3 of us trying for the last week to figure out what the heck happened" turns out it was all hands on deck to find out the issue and this is something they've never seen before which I tend to have a habit of being that person because A) I'm a n00b, B) I ride my bikes really hard on and off road and some stuff built for touring doesn't really hold up to multiple crashes off-road or 'sweet jumps'

First, Nate wasn't accusatory. He was responsive, a good listener and extremely detailed in some of his ideas and observations looking at my bike (I walked it up to the booth to show him) and comparing it to the sound bomb on an R1200 and R1250 and how the clearance is indeed tight but has never posed an issue. His primary issue that impacted way more than just me was his deep concern and thoughtfulness around the brake-line rubbing people have reported here. Seriously, Nate gives a shit.

We spoke for about 15 minutes. He threw out lots of ideas and options and I asked him if he'd allow me to visit Twisted Throttle in Rhode Island and allow them (for a cost) install my sound bomb the Twisted Throttle way by their engineers and if they had a revised clamp by then, I'd be happy to be their tester. I think Nate alluded to not charging me but whatever, I'm costing them money so I'm happy to pay.

My personal hope (throwing this out to the universe) is that I'm able to use this as an opportunity to expose the people behind the scenes at these very large ADV-Market companies where some choose to not participate in the conversation and others who listen, react and do what they can to make it right. If I can get a video of the TT engineers installing this, that can serve as the defacto standard for every future customer who buys a horn and mount...it would also serve as a great success story of TT stepping up to a customer issue even if I the customer am the one who screwed up.

I'm hoping this will happen in the next month and I can take a day off work, go to their shop in RI and have them take care of it in one day.

No resolution yet but it was great to meet the team in person. Their new D7 lights are effing bright.

----

To those following along at home, this is what MaxBMW charged to replace my damaged dust seal. They inspected the forks and there was no other damage. Your dealer may not be as generous.

[​IMG]
  12. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nate is a cool guy for sure! I also talked to him and found him to be very responsive and interested in us as riders using their equipment.
  13. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam!

We are super happy you stopped by the booth and that you were able to talk to Nate, show him your bike, and talk about everything that has been going on. We look forward to seeing you at our showroom, and getting you a new Soundbomb installed...with Locktite :wink:

See you soon!
    The Twisted Team
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. jpbadonk

Oddometer:
    I'm.a big Soundbomb fan...love mine while it worked. But I pulled it off today. It didn't survive the Dalton. This may shed some light on Adam's issue.

Mine didn't come into contact with the fork. I have plenty of clearance there. The a-arm contacted it...probably a pothole, big frost heave, etc. But it does interfere with the suspension travel on a low suspension gs adventure. You can see the contact point on the bottom and that the mount is bent also. For those worried about the brake line contact, my 'sheath' and the brake line itself looked fine. But I suppose there a chance I could have crushed that brake line?

I'm going to talk to Twisted Throttle about it when I get home. For now it goes into a plastic bag and rides with me in a pannier.

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg
    m931a2 and AdamChandler like this.
  15. jpbadonk

Oddometer:
    Well, no response here or to my email on July 1st inquiring about the order. Maybe they're out riding? Maybe they don't care? They have been responding to other posts...tsk.

Anyone know the part number for the a-arm bolt cover that got cut up on my bike? I want to order a new one.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    #3?
    [​IMG]

03 31 42 2 314 711 COVER, BLACK 1 $2.74[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    gadgettr1, jpbadonk and deadflagblues like this.
  17. jpbadonk

Oddometer:
    Update: received an RMA and shipping label to return the horn. Thx TwistedThrottle! Now I wonder if I can safely mount a Soundbomb Mini...I really miss the ability to get someone's attention.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. webjester

webjester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is another mounting idea. I made a bracket from stock Al and painted it black. It's been working great. Advantage is, that the location allows for super short wiring and it is somewhat protected from the environment behind the right leg. My soundbomb crapped out though after two years, so I went back to the Stebel Nautilus. I like this better because the frequencies are in tune with the OEM horn (harmonic). IMG_20190709_152150.jpg Powered by EZCan.

Attached Files:

Deanowade likes this.
  19. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmm interesting. 2017GSA running horn through the Hex. Just ran out to take a peek at the condition of mine and there is a bit of touch as the clear shield over the braid is ever so slightly nicked, but not through to the braid yet. It has however been on my bike since last Feb, 2018 that is, so not really a hell of a lot to add. And I suppose it varies from bike to bike as to how and where they make contact and how much the length varies and the routing involved. YMMV
    I was thinking I would dremel the bottom a bit to eliminate the contact, but better solution in my case was to slide the dual cable retaining clip about 1/8" towards the front directly under the horn housing. Quick fix.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer: