Soupy’s Lowering Links

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Riteris, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    Hi all,

I had a recent experience where I found it difficult to deal with the height of my Yamaha Super Tenere.

I am aware of most issues associated with the lowering of a bike, including possibly needing to adapt center and side stands.

I am thinking because of the adjustability of Soup’s Lowering Links, I can get my bike a bit lower (1/2” or so) with minimal issues. (A seat shaving will give me another 1/2”.)

So, have you any experience, positive or negative with this product?

Thanks for your thoughts!
  2. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rider MOD would alleviate all the adjustments needed for links... trashville-205-bpu.jpg
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have read that they can break because you are dealing with stress risers(threads).I have put them on 2 bikes for people(I have a small garage mc shop in my semi retirement)and no issues.Both sets have proven worthy but they mainly use bikes for touring around and gravel roads at the worst. In my experience they seem to work fine just make sure everything is tightened up well so there are no shock loads.For more extreme riding I would use try kouba link.
  4. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    HaHa. That was actually funny in maybe the first 20- 30 threads I read on this subject. Not any more though.

It comes up just about every time, in fact. Try and keep up.
    mokibear likes this.
  5. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with much of your posting.

The ST for me is more about touring than adventure. I don't tend to do anything more knarly than gravel roads.

I could not find mention of the ST on the Kouba webpage. If they offered one, it would probably be in the one inch range like so many other ling manufacturers. The ability to dial in minimal lower is what I liked about the Soupy's link.
  6. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used them on NC700x, FJR, Versys-X 300. Biggest issue is how to deal with the kickstand once lowered.
    You also may try to just lower the forks in tripple clamp first without spend $$. This will increase speed of turn in. To keep turn in speed the same, both should be lowered but not the exact same amount due to angles in front and back.

NC700x and Versys-X 300 has both seen 1,000 miles of gravel roads. The Versys-X 300 lower bolt that holds to bike did loose up when I inspected them and had to re-tighten after about 1500 miles of gravel roads.
  7. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    I am not interested in changing the turn in of the bike. So, lowering just the forks is a non-starter.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would just run the soups then.As mentioned just check them every once in a while and put a dab of blue lok tite on threads when you snug it up.
  9. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with the topic, I have the exact opposite issue, where no bike is tall enough. So the joke is new to me.
  10. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    I have the Soupy's on my Tenere, they are a solid product. Very strong design, no concerns there. They can do stock to -4 inches, I have mine set at about -1.5 inchs and the kickstand works fine. I like the infinite adjustability, if 2-up I may raise it slightly.

11. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

Thanks for the encouragement!

Does the center stand work well at -1.5"?

But, why raise the bike when two up? That is usually a sag issue not a height issue.