Source for M11 x 1.5 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gweaver, Apr 21, 2010.

1. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts? I've tried multiple local hardware stores in my area, and no luck. I've looked online at McMaster, and they don't stock anything in M11.
    The only thing I've found is a head bolt set for a couple of Toyota vehicles.

The situation- KTM950 crash bars mount to a 'Y'-shaped aluminum bracket. The original bolt was M8 but the threads stripped out, then the hole got ovalized due to...rattling/shifting/who knows. Bottom line, I had to drill and tap up to M11 to get back to a round hole. I don't really want to go up to M12, for fear of not leaving enough metal for strength (but I will if I have to).

So- anyone have any idea where I can find an M11 x 1.5 bolt, 25mm length? If McMaster doesn't have it, where do you go?

They make a tap for that size, which tells me there must be a bolt somewhere.

Greg
  2. mustang

mustang Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
  3. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm you found an oddball, no luck with granger, fastenal, mcmaster all strike out.

Do you have the die? Might consider making the needed bolt.
  4. justplainray

justplainray ucancallmeray

Oddometer:
    tapping it to 7/16" x 14 threads per inch?
    justplainray
  5. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Phone Metric Unlimited in Warren MI. Remember, Warren, MI the cradle of the automotive planet?

I can walk to them from the office, and have anything I've ever needed in metric sizes.

<table><tbody><tr><td>
    </td> <td>800-638-7986</td></tr> <tr><td> </td><td>586-264-0410</td></tr></tbody></table>

Metrics Unlimited website

Good luck!
  6. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    The local auto parts stores here have the M11 size but I'm not sure about the thread pitch. ( Advance Auto, Auto Zone and NAPA)
  7. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. gweaver

Oddometer:
    Jeebus, who knew these damn things were so expensive?? It looks like the M11 bolt is for GM flexplates, but at $10 per?!? At that rate, maybe I'm better off going up to M12. I've looked in to Time-serts, but right now, I can't swing the $50+ the kits cost. I know, I know, I'm a cheap bastard, and prolly should be riding a KLR, but have you seen what's been happening to teachers these days? I've got to save wherever I can.

I could tap up to 7/16, but would prefer not to start mixing SAE on a metric bike.

I'm going to stop by the local GM dealer- maybe they'll give me a break on one.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!!

G
  9. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gweaver, I have a Big-Sert kit somewhere at home and I THINK it's for M10.

I'll dig it up tonight to check. If it is M10, I'll borrow the kit to you for free.
    All you'd need to supply are the inserts. If you're really lucky there's still one insert left in that kit, but I'm not sure.
    I'll let you know.

--
    Mikko
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
  12. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the kit. It's an M8 Big-Sert kit.
    There's one insert left in the kit.

Did you drill the hole already?
    The M8 Big-Sert is tapped into a 10.4mm hole (13/32" bit is in the kit), if you didn't tap it already for that silly M11 bolt this should work.

If you want the kit send me a PM with your address.

--
    Mikko
  13. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    you should have obtained the bolt before tapping to M11. That's an odd side... just get a heli-coil, back to M8
  14. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Did you try Bowlin Equipment, down here in Berkeley? They specialize in metric fasteners. (510) 527-8282.
  15. gweaver

Oddometer:
    FlyingFinn-
    Thanks for hunting that up, but I've got the hole drilled and tapped already. I'll actually be putting things back together tonight or tomorrow. Looks like everything's going to work out. Had to open up the mounting hole on the crash bar to make room for the M11.
    I didn't like the look of how thin the remaining metal was, so I had a piece of 1/8" angle welded on for strength, then made new spacers the appropriate height.
    Looking forward to getting the bike back together and on the road. It's been a long week.

G

Update- had to drill/tap the other side too, but only up to M10. Got everything put back together, and realized that the bolt head on the M11 didn't leave much room for a socket/wrench. It works for now, but when things permit, and based on recommendations here, I'm going to put an M10 Time-sert in. If anyone has one sitting around, let me know.

G
  16. Sequoia

Sequoia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old post but If it helps anyone else.

If you can use a Banjo bolt "I know they have a hole in them for brake fluid" instead of a flex plate bolt for what you are doing they are cheaper. I found them at OReilly Auto parts on their website, they come 2 to a pack for 2 dollars & change that's a little better than paying 5.00 each if you bought the flexplate bolts.