South Africa: Best way to get a bike and travel to Cairo

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by whereskyle, May 31, 2018.

1. whereskyle

whereskyle n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

I've read a lot of suggestions on how to obtain a TAR in South Africa to purchase a motorbike. But what if you find a friend or a seller who can write you a letter authorizing you to use his/her bike. I see on the Carnet Application you only need a letter https://www.aa.co.za/carnet-de-passages-en-douane-pricing

Isn't this the fastest way to get a bike and ride it out of the country? Granted you'll have to return the bike in the end to get your deposit, but that's what the Carnet requires regardless of who's the owner.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything, as I'm planning a trip from Cape Town to Cairo.
  2. Fudmucker

Fudmucker ex-lurker

Oddometer:
    Here's an article on how it is done:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=84102.0

Wild Dogs is a local forum in South Africa with a wealth of information.
    As ZA is a multi-lingual country, you may find some posts in Afrikaans.
    Most guys would not mind translating for you if you "speak foreign".
    Go register (free) and introduce yourself there and you may find all the contacts you need.
  3. whereskyle

whereskyle n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link!
  4. stewacide

stewacide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me know how it goes.

Looking online it seems one needs to be lucky to get a 'traffic registration number' as a foreigner on a tourist visa, needed to get the vehicle in ones name. Technically that seems to require proof of long-term residence, although this can likely be dealt with by getting a South African (friend, guesthouse owner, etc.) to say you're living with them. But if they also insist on a long-term (e.g. work) visa, then there's no way around that.

Can anyone say if there's a problem crossing borders in Southern / Eastern Africa with a vehicle in someone else's name, if you have a letter of authorization. It seems that's good enough for the South Africans to let you leave: http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...drivers-crossing-SA-borders-actively-enforced "If the driver of the vehicle is not the owner of the vehicle, an affidavit from the police giving authorisation from the owner to take the vehicle abroad is required." ...but I have no idea how it'd fly with the border authorities in other countries?
  5. Tau Anvil

Tau Anvil African by trade

Oddometer:
    Letter from owner/ title holder and maybe insurance letter that states you are covered for use of bike will help.