1. eNewsletter Sign Up

South African ADVrider.com members

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Gruebane, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. The camera will be firmly strapped to my body! We learnt a while ago to keep valuable close and tight. I think Sydney airport has a service in wrapping check in bags with cling film. Easy to see if it has been tampered with. Just to be safe I might leave a pair of well soiled jocks right at the top :rofl:rofl

2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way early to start planning, but it pays to be prepared.

Sometime in the next 12 months I hope to be arriving in Jo'burg for a visit with my fiancee before I throw her over my shoulder and cart her off to the far north of Alaska. While she has lived there all her life and is therefore a fountain of facts, I would also like to get some information from those whose preference is to see the land from aboard two wheels. As well, it would be nice to sit down with some of the locals while there and see who can tell the biggest lies.

Since the seasons south of the equator are backward (as is your law concerning the proper side of the roadway to drive upon:lol3) my thinking will have to be adjusted accordingly. Your summer season would undoubtedly be too hot for this pale-skinned Alaskan but your so-called winters might be nice tee shirt weather. :vardy I have to think of my fair lady though, so a time when temperatures hover between (let me get out my Celsius to Fahrenheit converter here) say... 7° to 24°C would be about perfect. Finding that South Africa is, surprisingly, only about 71% the size of my home state of Alaska, it is hoped that we could hit many of the most scenic areas (as far from large cities as possible) in the two weeks that I plan on being there. That may be hugely optimistic, as I have no idea what traffic is like in your country. But regardless, I certainly do not want to waste the trip by not seeing everything possible in the limited time I will be there.

Any hints, warnings, etc. that any inmates can provide to help this wayward country boy avoid making an even bigger fool of himself will be appreciated.
  3. Draadwerk

Draadwerk New guy

Oddometer:

No man, this is not adventure riding you are doing. Why the hurry?

We live in the most beautiful surroundings in the world and you don't want to stop and enjoy it all? Strange
  4. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    2 weeks is too short. Stretch for 3.
  5. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    :cry:cry rotation break of left tibia has put paid to any trip to SA this year. Now have a titanium tibial nail and months of rehab. Hopefully next year.
  6. 4B1T

4B1T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

If this is not the right place to ask this, feel free to give me a gentle nudge in the right direction. Anyhow, the wife and I am heading to RSA next month for three weeks. We are pretty solidly booked with all the typical tourist stuff, but we are finishing off with two days in Umhlanga, and I was hoping to rent a bike for a day or two. I have done searches, but cannot find anything available for rent in the Durban area. If anyone knows of anything, I would greatly appreciate a head's up. Also, I might be able to wrangle a day in Cape Town. What would be the most recommended single day outing in that neck of the woods?
    Thanks in advance!

Tom

PS - I have tried to register for Wild Dogs, but for some reason I never hear back from the admins.
  7. infra80

infra80 pothole hunter

Oddometer:
    Howzit Tom,

I am in Durban...

Will ask around for a rental place.....

I can offer you my cheapo chinese 200cc enduro:D........but that one aint funny 2Up......:lol3

Give me a shout when u are here n we can do a little drive or have a beer:freaky

Cheers
    Bjoern

edit: http://www.motozu.lu.ms/ not sure abut those guys....but worth a try
  8. 4B1T

4B1T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bjoern,

Thanks for the heads-up, but I tried contacting that motozulu place and they have since relocated to somewhere in Namibia. If you stumble onto any other promising leads, I would love to hear them. Hell, if you know anyone interested in selling a bike, I will pay to take it on an extended test ride!

As well, by the time we get to the end of our trip, the wife and I will probably be at each other's throats, so I will absolutely take you up on the beer!

Cheers,
    Tom

9. stevh0

stevh0 Super Retard.

Oddometer:
    If you are in ct and get a bike. I'll take you through the cederberg.
  10. AlphaBetaGaga

AlphaBetaGaga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in CT & new to the ADV riding scene,
    Keen to explore on my TE610
    Any rides in the works?
  11. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Go onto the local Wilddog forum and have a look there. :1drink