South Alabama Tag-O-Rama (including NW Florida)

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by KawDlr, Feb 21, 2009.

1. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The XTrainer suspension is lightweight, but I'm both not a woods racer and I am getting into Trials. I've already broken the rear shock and have had to replace it and respring it. For my style if riding, it's awesome. I am definitely more capable and faster on it than I was on the 501.

Regarding the 790, compared to the Super Tenere, it is infinitely better - fantastic on the highway, and doesn't intimidate offroad. The ST always felt loose, squirelly, and heavy offroad. If I ever dropped it while riding solo, I'd have to walk out. The 790's lighter weight, low center of gravity and narrow profile are awesome offroad, but it still feels solid at 80mph on the interstate. Not sure how it stacks up against the 1190, but I'm sure anyone doing adventure riding would find the 790 very capable. Seems to be a great size overall.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  2. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Grabbed it yesterday during a ride to the Stagecoach Cafe in Stockton for the LROTY.
    Should be listing up the new location pictures today or tomorrow shortly after I get it placed.

Made 1 upgrade to it which I will show in a picture with the new placement. View attachment 2061678 IMG_20191230_093218.jpg
    gulfcoaster and markbxr400 like this.
  3. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Something happened to this pic on the 1st post. Re upload. IMG_20191230_093235.jpg
    gulfcoaster and markbxr400 like this.
  4. markbxr400

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to a good adventure challenge. Don't take it easy on us.
    Madhouse and ZachM1 like this.
  5. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly not sure if it's going to be too easy or not.

Hint: If a person did some proper internet sleuthing a few hours after this post, hints will abound on the interwebs if the hints given on the subsequent post of placements are not enough.
    markbxr400 likes this.
  6. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    HARD to get to on a motorcycle would be great!
    markbxr400 and ZachM1 like this.
  7. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    It can be both easy or harder. Multiple ways to get to it, but pictures on my route won't show an easy route.
    markbxr400 likes this.
  8. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    55A1AB94-F0DF-47E4-B5EB-49B51BC106AB.jpeg
    markbxr400 and ZachM1 like this.
  9. markbxr400

Oddometer:
    Bring it on Zach! Looking forward to it. I'll strap my trials bike on the back of my XTrainer on the back of my 790R.
    gulfcoaster and ZachM1 like this.
  10. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    This one won't be that bad. I am on a KLR.
  11. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then it will obviously require an Abrams to make it there!
    ZachM1 and markbxr400 like this.
  12. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Close to the area where the water isn't really Black.
    It's at the Flora-Bama but at a different line.
    Three roads convene yet only one is a road.
    In the area you can usually find a sock to mark you away.

I added a rare earth magnet to the peanut to extend the abilities of where it can be placed although I didn't use the upgrade.
    As you can see it's not hanging from anything.
    This one really shouldn't be very hard. I personally rode about 32.5 miles of mostly dirt from Wilderness to get to the location. Someone could figure this out and get there without all of the hassle.
    There are more incremental clues that could be given, but I doubt it will be necessary.
    MagnetAddition.JPG IMG_20200101_154150.jpg
    [/ATTACH] AtTheBase.jpg FloraBamaPost.jpg

Attached Files:

markbxr400 and gulfcoaster like this.
  13. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    So do I need to give more hints?
  14. markbxr400

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. A buddy and I are headed that way tomorrow to try and locate it. I think I have it narrowed down to about four likely spots out of a total of 23 possible spots. I've created an enduro route sheet (no kidding) with each of the 23 spots on it, and have a waypoint set in my Garmin for each spot. I like your challenge. Made me really do some research. If I fail, you'll all be welcomed to laugh. If I find it, it will be a challenge well earned. Either way, it'll be a beautiful day for riding tomorrow.
    ZachM1 and gulfcoaster like this.
  15. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Awesome! & if no one gets my minimal references I do have a video riding from my start area on a mostly dirt route 30 ish miles to the peanut. Of course it would mostly give away the location without having to do the full route.
  16. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    I think my fiance might have seen you guys going north on HWY4 / 189 sometime before noon.
  17. markbxr400

Oddometer:
    If it was 2 guys turning around a dozen times looking lost, it was probably us. Tag grab.

Had a buddy ride with me. Plan worked, but of course it was at the 3rd from the last possible spot where we found it. Great hide and hints, Zach!. Hard to believe with basically 2 pictures of the same sign post, and really only two usable hints, that we could find that spot on earth. I failed to figure out the sock hint when mapping our way there. It only became obvious once we were actually there . . . not sure what the "usually" refers to in your hint - is there a story? Anyway, fun ride, beautiful day. I have an interesting but simple place I'll drop the peanut tomorrow. Won't be nearly as adventurous as Zach's (I'm tied up for the next week and don't want to hold the peanut that long), but it will give you a cool picture of your bike. Will try to be as worthy as Zach the next time I pick it up.

IMG_6074.JPG IMG_6069.JPG IMG_6065 2.JPG Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 5.12.51 PM.png
  18. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Nice job.
    The sock has disappeared & reappeared somewhat recently, but that would only be known by people that go through there on a somewhat regular basis-when it happened. The only meaningful reference was that it was across the way from the peanut's location.

On the maps of the area the Alabama side actually has the word road in the naming where as the Florida side are simply alphanumeric designations - hence the 3 roads come together @ the FloraBama but only 1 is a road.

Once again: good job! I wasn't sure if it was going to be too vague of a small set of descriptors or not challenging enough.

Fiance just looked at the pics and instantly said "yep, that was them. Now I wished I would have honked at them."
    markbxr400 likes this.
  19. markbxr400

Oddometer:
    Solving the riddle was definitely challenging enough. The ride to get there was "just right". Again, great job!
    ZachM1 likes this.
  20. markbxr400

Oddometer:
    New Tag

IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6083.JPG Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.19.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.20.14 AM.png