South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those interviews are a unique addition.

Keep it up, Mon!

We'll be expecting a visit this fall here in Pine, AZ.

Still unpacking -- got a new RR to share in the making.....

You continue to be a fine inspiration.

Your constant followers,

Scott & Lois
  2. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Speaking of saving this stuff for the long haul, John.....

When I make a entry to a TR here on ADV, I copy to my clip board the HTML version before I post it to the forum. That makes it easy to recover if the post should get lost when you 'submit reply'.

Then once it is posted here, I go to my blog site and paste the same html post there into a trip blog. That includes the pictures. Voila, now I have a private blog of the same trip with very little effort without the ADV chatter for family, and friends, and posterity.

Speaking of this, on my blogs I EDIT my blog to include the next entry instead of making an additional post. That makes a continuous story instead of a bunch of different pages.

I know, it can still get lost, but ....

I sure hope your TRS gets into print at some point.
  3. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Your asking me is the type of thing I'd hope would happen, it would start a dialogue that would go beyond giving / getting directions, asking for recommendations for hotel, restaurants, places to visit, etc. I tried it a bit in Costa Rica in rural areas by asking several people to talk about what agricultural products were raised and people seemed very willing to open up and talk about it...it led to some nice conversations.
  4. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:

Hi Ratman,

Thanks for the good tips. I think I will try to copy and paste these stories over on the johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com site now that I see the key is to edit your posts so you don't have a reverse timeline. Great idea. Thanks! For now my hard copy of these stories is from a laser printer. I have zero desire to make money from these stories, but feel compelled to publish them for others benefit when time allows. Magazine editors have contacted me asking for stories. My response is always, hey, I am writing stories, you can have them for free. They are over on ADVrider. Check it out. I never hear back from them. They aren't interested in stories that are freely available on the internet. I don't have time to publish books right now. I'm too busy riding and working. When I am old and decrepit and hobbling around in a walker chasing septogenarian women I will make sure to take the time.

Your ADVpal,
    Tio Juanito
  5. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hey Scott and Lois!

So good to hear from you ! I am definitely heading to Pine AZ before taking off for Uruguay. My flight leaves from Phoenix on Nov. 9th. Look forward to seeing you this fall. And also look forward to reading your ride report now that you aren't panhandlers begging for clean drinking water.

It was really fun spending time with you guys this summer in Wichita Falls. Always nice to hang out with kindred spirits.

Kindest regards,
    Juan Arizona
  6. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it took about a week to follow the whole adventure. I can't think you enough for taking all the effort to write up such great reports.

I will be starting my adventures with my kids come spring. Have a good deal of work to do on two bikes (KLX650 & XT225) to get them ready for adventure riding. Since I'm new to adventuring (but not to riding), we'll start off on small rides, day trips or weekenders, then progress to longer more involved rides. I've told my kids that I want to do an all off road ride from Nevada to Arkansas, so that's what we're working up to. After that, we'll probably do Baja.

As much as I love the bigger bikes, I just couldn't imagine doing a serious ADV ride on anything but a Japanese thumper. I love the simplicity of single cylinder bikes, and Japanese is synonymous with reliability. Your choice in bikes makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure how well a 250 would pull my big fat arse!! I'm 6'2" and 230lbs, so that might be somewhat of a cruel thing to do to a good 250.
  7. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    You might be surprised. I put 10,000 miles on my XT250 in 18 months. It did great on everything but interstate! The problem when you get to our size (6'2" 140 lbs) is that the bike was built for a 5'5" 150 lb person. Beef up the suspension and it solve that problem, but the frame dimensions led to me being very uncomfortable.
  8. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    +1. Well said. Keep 'em coming John!. We love this report. Good idea on the recording as well. Should be interesting.
  9. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi HanShotFirst,

Nice to have you along. Good to hear you're getting out riding with your kids. They're lucky to have a cool Dad who likes to hit the backroads. Sounds like fun to me. Small rides and overnights are a great way to figure out what works for you. I don't pack much differently for a weekend trip than I do for six months on the road. Nevada to Arkansas on dirt and a trip to Baja. Now you're talking my kind of language. Should be fun!

250s aren't for everybody. Although you see families of 4 riding on a 125 in Latin America, and big guys have ridden 250s around the world, it is the exception. DRZ400, DR650, KLR650 (or KLX650) is probably the perfect economical easy to work on bike for most big guys. Although Super Sherpas and XT 225s and 250s are tough little bikes that will get the job done.

Best luck in your travels.

Saludos,
    Tio Juan
    Interviews with fellow ADVriders over at johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
  10. vasaiboy

vasaiboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see Indian made bike overseas. :norton
  11. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

It's been a while... let us know what you're up to!
  12. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi fasttortoise,

I'm leaving Nebraska and heading down deep in the heart of Texas tomorrow to beautify another ADVrider's house. Still have a month before my plane leaves for Uruguay.

The weather is beautiful in Texas this time of year. Should be fun.

Saludos,
    Juan Tortuga Rápida
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Hopefully in 500 years they won't even know what gasoline was.
  14. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Hopefully they know what it was, ignorance if history keeps us where we are now.
  15. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Senor Downs, you inspired me to travel light. I was out for 5 weeks camping off my 250 this year and loved it. I'm loading up for a run to the border this winter. Baby steps I know, but at my age my next bike may have to be a Honda 90. I am going to
    revisit your border crossing experiences.
    Looking forward to more of your writing on here and on your blog.
    regards,
    BTBob
  16. JDowns

Oddometer:
    I’ve been cut off from the outside world for a while working in rural Texas where there is no wifi or cell service. I came into town to get more supplies and am reporting live from tbe Cleburne Texas Public Library. Currently setting floor tile and kitchen backsplashes at the house fellow ADVrider veriest1 is moving into soon:

[​IMG]

He is a good man and father currently busy with a full time job and two adorable 9 month old twins:

[​IMG]

He is staying elsewhere with his lovely wife, so it’s just me out in the middle of nowhere just north of the Brazos River at his new hacienda setting tile and listening to podcasts that I download here at the library. Speaking of which, I am totally all in on the Adventure Rider Radio podcasts over at:

http://www.adventureriderradio.com

Jim Martin has some great guests like Simon and Lisa Thomas, Simon Pavey and a host of other ADVriders telling their stories. I contacted him to see if there was anything I could do to promote his show and he suggested mentioning it on my ride report. Plus I am sending him a paypal donation and I encourage you to do the same so his show stays on the web. It is packed full of interesting riders and great stories. It has to be a lot of work, and he is doing such a great job. I really want to encourage this kind of thing. I say, let's paypal him a bunch of bucks and keep him on the air. I still can't tell you how much it meant to me when I was down in the Darien with a broken bike when people sent me paypal donations to fix the Sherpa and continue on. It brought tears to my eyes. Plus it means you will never say die. I hope the same for Adventure Rider Radio.

It is the power we have, even just sitting at home plotting our next adventure. When you are working and making money it is your duty as an ADVrider to paypal some bucks to those who are making an effort. Hope you feel the same way.Jimtold me to call him when I get down to the middle of nowhere in South America and maybe there would be an interview. That would be fun. Although he might just be being polite. I don't care. I love his show and all the hard work he is doing.

On a seperate note, I will be attending the Roll The Bones ADVrally next weekend thanks to my ADVpal Garfey. He has offered to pay my admission fee and provide a place to stay in his cabin at Uncle Gus’s. I have been in Texas long enough to know that it would be rude to turn down that kind of hospitality. I am trying my best to be more polite and swear less. I don’t think I will have finished the granite shower surround in the main bathroom by next weekend, but veriest1 has given me the okay to take off for the RTB rally. Should be fun. Hope to see some of you folks there.

Okay, let me just say it. Texas hospitality is off the charts. As I was grouting tile this morning, listening to classic Country & Western music on HankFM out of Fort Worth and drinking sweet tea, I thought to myself, “Dayam, October in the heart of Texas is NICE. 85º and sunny, Kind ADVriders giving me gainful employment to earn enough to head down to South America next month and continue reporting back what I find and paying my way to local cool rallies.

It is a beautiful thing.

Your ADVpal,
    Tio Juan
  17. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi BTBob,

So glad to see you are out camping on your 250. SWEET!

I can't wait to race you in Mexico on identical Honda 125s in ten years when we're both of an advanced age. I think I can take you.

Your ADVpal,
    Juan Cientovientecinco
  18. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    :huh
  19. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    is just beautiful.

So are veriest1's twins. What a journey and labor of Love awaits him.

Good to see you are doing well, my friend. November 10th is just around the corner. Texas is a "Lone Star State of Mind" ~ Nanci Griffith

You need to be careful. You might not want to leave.....

Just sayin' :oscar

Dedicated subscribers,

Scott & Lois
  20. thewbee

thewbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Juan,

Glad to hear you are going to make it to RTB this year. As a fellow Sherpa rider, I have truly enjoyed your RR. It keeps me from making excuses and challenges me to get out there. See you at RTB. I'll be the Sherpa with a backpack strapped to the rack in place of proper "luggage". :lol3

WB
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.