South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
  2. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    John, did you get that Big Red Beast Tagged and ready.
  3. DustDog

DustDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Juancito: you take off date is coming fast :clap I'm so stupidly jealous that is not even funny. What are your plans? How long would you hang in Uruguay and where are you heading afterwards? I'm flying there in January 10 to give the final touch to my Camel and head south. Hope you are around by then and we can catch up. Say hi to my brother and pals in ROU.

PS: take my Africa for a ride....she is desperate need of routes:-)
  4. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    It is with a heavy heart that I must report that I was arrested Tuesday for misdemeanor DUI. I forgot why drinking is not something I should ever trifle with. I feel like an idiot. Also like I have let you, dear readers down.

I have had to cancel my impending flight back to South America, and all of my travel money will be spent this winter on onerous court costs, attorney’s fees and fines I am afraid. Johnson County Texas is the birthplace of M.A.D.D. I believe, and they show little mercy for such offenses.

I will dutifully obey all punishment that comes my way. It doesn’t look pretty.

I am so sorry. But let my stupidity be an example of what not to do. Don’t mess with Texas. And for goodness sakes don't drink and ride or drive. Once again a reminder how fragile our time is for riding, and how it can all disappear in an instant. I will be losing my license for several months and who knows what else. Possible jail time. I don’t know really.

The immediate effect is that this ride report has come to a dramatic conclusion. I won’t be riding motorcycles for a while. Not the adventure I was hoping for this winter. I have no one to blame but myself.

I am so, so sorry. I do intend to write more ride reports in the future once this ordeal is over. But for now, South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa minimalist adventure has concluded.

Your ADVpal,
    John Downs

P.S. I still love Texas. I look forward to hanging out with other young Texan offenders as I wend my way through the system. Should be interesting.
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep your head up and carry on. YOU can make it better. Goodluck JD:thumb
  6. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Man, that sucks. DUI's can mess up your life for a while. Spend some of that money on a good lawyer and get it "taken care of". It can happen to anybody under the right (wrong) conditions. I'm sure the local ADVrider community has some recommendations. slowoldguy, you out there. He seems to know the ropes. In the meantime keep on with the good work you do for inmates and keep us updated on how it's going.
  7. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow John I hate to hear that. Keep your head up. Hope no one else was involved. You will come out a better man on the other end.
  8. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    JD. pm incoming.
  9. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I so respect and admire the attitudes and philosophy that you have displayed and shard on your broad travels. I will miss this report and must admit I feel a bit cheated by the circumstances. But life is for learning. Sometimes from our own choices and sometimes from those of others.

I hope your experience with this latest happening, will prove to be a corrective one that gives you stark and clear moments of understanding about yourself and an open and obvious path to your future. Learning often requires tuition and sometimes that can be a high price indeed.

Fair well, take care and do the right thing for yourself.

Thanks for sharing so much.
  10. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    Bummer JD. Takes balls to fess up, some others would have just dissappeared off the map. Fingers crossed mate that things get back on track soon. Some will judge you harshly but others like me know how close we have come ourselves and only pure luck had us get home safely

:1drink (yes bad taste, but my sense of humor couldn't help it! :freaky)
  11. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    John.

This is terrible news for us armchair adventurers. You have such a nice way of expressing yourself in good times and bad and I am proud to know you through this awesome story.

It is hard to be upfront and honest and I appreciate your candor in dealing with this latest adventure.
    Don't know if they still do chaingangs in Texas but that would add to this story in a very John Downs way. :D
    Just kidding of course , I hope you do well and do keep us informed of how things go as you've been a valuable asset to this place and we can use all the help we can get.

Muchas gracias.

Jay (Jota)
    Jurgen likes this.
  12. weave

weave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jkam is spot on except for his claim to be an armchair adventurer.

Perhaps a continuation in "Inmates"
    Thanks for sharing your journey.
  13. advmoto66

advmoto66 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    JDowns you are a man of true integrity, open and honest to the core. You are da man. Your discretion to step up to the plate and taking responsibility is admirable and shows your true character. Everything happens for a reason and S. America will be there when your ready to continue your journey. Live long and prosper my moto brethren. Support and prayers to you as you take care of your current dilemma/adventure
  14. DustDog

DustDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I admire the way you face things. I cannot stress it enough, please do not hesitate asking if something need to be done with you bike in Uruguay. Cheers my friend and we all hope to have you riding again soon.
  15. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Here is a vote of support for you John from Canada! Stay strong, things will get sorted.
  16. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    I have nothing but respect for the way you have been totally straight in telling everyone exactly what happened. So many people would have just posted total BS and lies to try to make themselves look good.... I would trust an honest guy that takes responsibility for the mistakes that we as humans make, over some slick talking self righteous BS artist any day.

Don't get to discouraged, nothing is done yet, and things might just go better than you imagine. Keep your awesome attitude, keep your hopes up, and you might be able to get through this and on with your dreams faster than you think !!!

Mike
  17. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad break John, but your facing it the right way and I'm sure you'll come out the other side unscathed.
    Drink driving is something that happens all to often, I know I have done it and it's something I'm not proud of and will not be doing again.
    Hang in there, stay strong and the Sherpa will be awaiting your return.

Nick.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
  18. sgtp

sgtp bikeless but still seeking adventure

Oddometer:
    Guys, I never met John, but reading his words in this long long story, I feel like I have looked deep into the soul of this man, and I know one thing is certain. This man will make it to Ushuaia. There is no question he will make it.

John, we don't need the details on the DUI, but I feel safe to assume "misdemeanor" means no one was injured....incoming PM
  19. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Sad news indeed. Who among us has not been worthy of a DUI but simply got away with it? Multiple times at that.

The character you have shown us in your previous travels is now being proven to be true and sincere as you embark on this new journey. People like you, John, always come out the other side better off for making the trek. Of this I am confident.

I hope you will continue to bless us from your life experience and stay connected so that we might bless you as we are able.

You're a good man, John.
  20. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I dunno if its really my place to say and, who knows I could be wrong, but I spent a few hours chatting with John tonight and I can assure you that his head is up. He's not necessarily happy with it but, in the way many of us have come to expect from him, he's looking at this as an opportunity to grow and become a better person.

He's certanly one of the toughest people I've ever met because there just aren't that many people who would still be smiling after this weeks events. But John? The first thing I see tonight is his hearty smile. So, while one of the most epic ride reports to ever grace the bandwidth of ADV Rider may be drawing to a close the adventures of John Downs are still going strong and I'm looking forward to his future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.