South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    :norton
  2. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    Ramon, you're my kind of guy. :clap

Tio Juanito, this is just another unexpected stay like that one in Turbo, at that hotel, trying to figure out how to fix the mighty Sherpa, that ended up in the trunk of a Nissan Sentra and after getting the forks of a 380, it became a Kawazuki.

You'll get through this and will be back to Uruguay. You still have the whole Brazil to get to. Like TM said: Keep your head up and carry on!!
  3. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

Glad you're back. Hoped you would not be discouraged by this little delay. We are all part of your ADV family. Nice to see you working your way through the challenges that come with all of the unknown problems this new adventure is presenting (and bringing us along for the ride) in the JDowns creative way that we are all so accustomed to. With a little help, knowledge, and understanding you'll be back on the road less traveled again soon. We patiently await the return of your reports.
  4. 3dogrider

3dogrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John, although we spent only a few hours together over Helen's Cherry Crisp, I truly consider you a very good friend. I've always said a true friend is one that stands by you no matter what and if needed would come to help without raising questions. I am certain that most all of your followers here are those kind of friends. I have certainly made my share of mistakes and like you have continued to hold my head high and moved on. My God John, you are so lucky to have this "circle of Friends". Says a lot about the person you are.
  5. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    You are certainly correct about that ! I have read a number if ride reports that have ended very badly after a serious crash. In the grand scheme of things, yours is fixable, just a matter of some time....

One other thing to consider, even if your license is suspended here for a while, that does not mean you cant get a license in South America... You are a complete angel compared to some of those guys. I have seen guys down there that drive completely falling over Drunk on a very regular basis, and given the corruption present in those places, they never face any consequences... I don't think you would be a threat to anyone on a bike down there :D

Mike
  6. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is nothing wrong with drinking unless you have a problem with it. Drinking and driving is a no no no matter how much consumed. Shit happens it doesn't mean you are a criminal we all have done it one time or another. I am not a big fan of Texas by any means so my advice is to pay up and get out as fast as you can! If you can deal with the rain the PNW is much nicer!:lol3
  7. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    From my 70+ years of experience I have found Texas and Texans to be a generous, friendly, hard working, hardy, resilient, and hospitable bunch. Sure they have their share of over zealous, full of themselves, law enforcement officers and less than sincere politicians, but I don't think that is peculiar to Texas. Other than the summer heat, tornados, and rattle snakes, it's a pretty nice place. Come on down and give us a try. I'll buy you some BBQ and sweet tea. :D
  8. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Like Charlie, I consider this just another "side trip" on this wonderful ride.

Keep us informed.
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Juanito, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Don't beat yourself up too badly. Shit happens man.

Throughout the years I know that I have deserved my share of duo's, nights in the can, but got lucky every time. I once did get a free nights stay in the Tecate house of bad decisions, the machaca breakfast wasn't too bad, but they let me go and that was the end of it, lucky for me.

You're a good man, and tough hombre. You will get through this, and it will be but a footnote. Keep on keeping on man!
  10. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi Ramón,

Okay, I won't get ahead of myself. I will be back to South America. It just may be a year or two. I figured it would be impossible to get the bike out of Uruguay on a severely expired TVIP without risking having it confiscated so why not donate it to your brother. I didn't know it was possible for someone else to renew an import permit. If that is true and you can swing it, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I will fly down in a year or two and try to get the Sherpa out of Uruguay on my own.

Worst case scenario is paying a fine or getting the bike confiscated. In which case I would go to plan B and buy another cheap little Honda and carry on. In the meantime your nephew is welcome to ride the Sherpa around the farm.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Saludos,
    Tio Juan
  11. Balanda

Balanda No, I don't believe I will

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your current predicament John but like others hope that you continue to report back to us and that this will be a mere blip in your travels.
  12. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Balanda,

Yes I will continue to report back. And yes, this is just a blip in my travels.

People have been overwhelmingly supportive this week with really nice posts, PM's and paypal donations to my Texas chain gang legal defense fund over at johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

It is quite humbling really. And I will do whatever it takes to get back down to my Sherpa and see if I can get it out of Uruguay. It might take a year or two. But heck, this ride report has had more ups and downs and sideways twists than most. It keeps life interesting.

I may not be too bright, but I am persistent. Most all the best people in life I know are on ADVrider. True friends are the folks who will bail you out of jail at 2AM. There are plenty of folks here who fit that bill. Alas, the only phone number I have memorised is my sister's so she got the call and was my patron saint this time. So many others have helped me out over the years. I will be paying it forward for the rest of my life.

Your ADVpal,
    Tio Juanito
  13. whiskymike

whiskymike landloper

Oddometer:
    Hello John, been following since the beginning, don't post much, but read it all. Like others, my thoughts and prayers are with you my brother. I am glad you will continue to post, and keep in touch with the community. A lot of people respect you, and are here to help in ways they can. Ride on.
  14. DustDog

DustDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    .....and we will found a way. I call Canario in Uruguay a few minutes ago and we set things in motion. We might need a paper or two from you but we let you know later. Canario ask me to tell you that he highly appreciates your offer but he cannot accept it without giving a try first. He also says he would like to see you there as soon as possible but that you should not worry about the bike.

Here a question to all ADVpals....I know that many of you bought bikes in South America from others travelers finishing their rides to start your rides? The question is, which paperwork is necessary? What do I, as a foreign person, need to do to buy a bike from another foreign person and keep crossing borders?

Juanito, you might know some cases....or at least you can articulate the question better than me. Let's do a little research.
  15. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your travails, John. It's probably not as bad as it feels. I hope you can get back on the road again soon.
    Jurgen likes this.
  16. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Here's some information I've bookmarked:
    Buy moto process in Bolivia: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896123
    Chile and more inside information/experience, although dated: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/bike-swap-or-rent/buying-motorcycle-in-chile-10853
    Inmate charapa at Around the Block Adventures in Peru is another resource to contact for information: http://www.aroundtheblockmotoadventures.com
  17. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hola Ramón,

You are a saint. I don't know if it is possible to renew the permit by someone else. If not I will see about paying a fine for an expired import permit or whatever when I get back down to Uruguay. But don't worry too much about the Sherpa. As long as Canario doesn't mind having it sit out in his carport for another year I will get back down as soon as I can. If I work hard on the chain gang I should be able to fly back down in around a year from now I think.

Saludos,
    Tio Juancito
  18. Balanda

Balanda No, I don't believe I will

Oddometer:
    I guess a lot of rejigging of plans will need to occur now John. I've often found that when there's too much to think about and you're not cetain about which direction to take, that the migrating birds can be of great help in times like this :D
  19. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Balanda,

I like your thinking. I was out cutting tile on the front porch this morning and saw a flock of Sandhills Cranes heading south. They've got the right idea.

I find the best thing to do in these kinds of situations I find myself in currently is to not dwell on the past or worry about the future. Just enjoy each day as it comes. The future always takes care of itself and you can't change the past. Things usually work out better than you could imagine anyway. At least that's been my experience.

It is a beautiful day in Texas today. Blue sky and mid 80s as I sit here this afternoon at the Glen Rose Texas Public Library catching some wifi and typing up thank yous to all the kind folks who have wished me well over the past few days.
  20. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can Texas cause you to lose a Nebraska driver's license? What would happen, besides forfeiting bail money, if you just went home? I'm not advocating this, just curious.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.