South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Oh I wouldn't do that.. big trouble will follow.. best to face the consequence and hope the least they can do is revoke your driver license and a slap on your wrist.. Then maybe JD can still go to South America and continue his trip??

When I was pulled over in Colombia.. they never asked me for my driver license.. only asked for my passport.. I think JD remember seeing my video of that.. I wonder IF you could do that down in Uruguay or any other country in South America?? Driving without driver license and just point to Passport.. what's the worse that can happen??

They never once asked for my driver license.. everything is done with Passport.. airport or motorcycle or bus.. all asked for passport.. I think your driver license is worthless down there anyway..
  2. Marine By Choice

Marine By Choice Sergeant 0311

Oddometer:
    Utilizing an International Drivers License in a foreign country could be the answer. Not good in the USA though.

Not to say that JD would duck his responsibility and obligation in the US, but might be a solution during his license loss in TX.
  3. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Even international driver license is worthless.. they would prefer your driver license than international driver license but passport is better for them.. They prefer to confiscate your passport.. because they know you can't leave their country without it..
  4. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being undocumented south of the border sure is different than north of the border.
  5. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Johnson City Jail. Had a good high school buddy that spent a little time
    there. I'll bet the only thing that changed were the stainless steel crappers.
    My wife still has the letter he sent asking for her to send a pack of cigs.
    Her mother was PISSED when she saw the return address. Sadly,
    "little ham" kept going in the wrong direction and another high school buddy
    arrested him for armed robbery and then it was Huntsville.

Texas was so much fun.

Keep your chin up John, and Ramon, if any funds are needed let us ADV'ers
    know how we can help.

Robert from way west of Texas.
  6. DustDog

DustDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not worry about funds at this moment. JD bike is in my hometown two hours away from the border. I'm going there anyway in January. What I would really like to know from you ADVpals is if somebody has experience in buying foreign bikes in South America. That really can help to set an strategy
  7. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are keeping your chin up! The JDowns story will continue and we will enjoy more of your adventures in the future. You may be down for a while but I expect you will rise above all this soon as we know what kind of person you are. You got your bike out of jail in Medellin and you will do the same for yourself.
    Tony in Tn (who is still hoping you will pass through Nashville sometime)
  8. Crossed-up

Crossed-up Pangaman

Oddometer:
    I am very sorry to read this. May this forum testify to your sterling character and all-round level-headedness and call for the greatest leniency.

Alternatively can Mr Downs please be sentenced to community service in South America? After all this is nothing more than he's been doing all along.
  9. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi CC,

I appreciate your lateral thinking, but jumping bail and missing my court date would result in a warrant for my arrest and additional punishment when they caught up to me. I am basically an honest, hard working person and have no desire to avoid my trial and sentencing or make things worse. I will face the music and obey any punishment that comes my way. And as far as riding around South America with a suspended license in the U.S. Yes, it is probably possible, but not something I care to do and risk getting in more trouble.

I had a nice chat with slowoldguy who is a lawyer down the way. Most people in my situation will do anything to avoid jail time and take the path of a long probation. In my case, I don't wish to have a long multiyear probation that would keep me from leaving the country and will take a few months jail time if it means I can get back to riding in South America sooner. Especially since jail time in this case can involve spending nights or weekends in jail and working and doing something productive during the weekdays.

Time will tell and I will report back what I find. You don't see too much written in ride reports about crime and punishment in the U.S. I think most people are too embarrassed and ashamed for messing up like I did to write about it. I will be witnessing it first hand and be sure to let you know how it all turns out.

Saludos,
    Cool Hand Juan
  10. CBRider

CBRider Between a rock and a weird place.

Oddometer:
    Cool Hand Juan, with your great attitude on life I'm sure you'll get through this just fine. Good thing they didn't catch you cutting the heads off parking meters on main street!

I wish you the best of luck!
  11. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Cool Hand Juan

"Here we have an exceptional ability to communicate"
  12. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    John, just read the news. Hope you are doing well. Hang in there my friend, you are a good man! I'll never forget how you rode through Guatemala to see Justin after he got hit. Stay frosty. Hope to read of you back down south before too long.

Bryce
  13. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Good point on the probation part.. I guess some of us forgot that you may be on probation and that will prevent you from leaving Texas or Nebraska as part of the punishment so it would be pointless to travel to South America, license or not.

Best of luck getting through this ordeal and hopefully it will be last one you make for rest of your life because it really suck to not have a driver license.
  14. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe, just maybe, the judge, lawyers and members of the jury (if it comes
    to that) should have to read Cool Hand Juan's ride report. Just to establish
    what kind of person he really is.

Viva Juanito!!!
  15. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that really suxs. Sorry to hear this news.
  16. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snow birds fly south...
  17. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I was looking forward to your traveling interviews. Perhaps you can do Jailhouse interviews. I mean, what else have you to do?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u90LAbP-JIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Beechum,

You crack me up. The problem with jailhouse interviews is that they have nothing to do with ADVriding. Although I will continue to interview fellow travellers as I meet them in the future.

Although I have to say there were some interesting stories of lives gone wrong when the 17 of us in the holding cell were awakened in the morning and filed down a hall to a video courtroom where a judge determined the conditions of our bail. Each person stood in front of a television monitor where a remote judge recited what you were accused of. You got to hear what the others were arrested for. It was sort of like a Skype call. Mostly drug offenses with some domestic abuse from the two tattooed hispanics. I didn't realise what a serious offence having sex with a 17 year old girlfriend was. That poor 18 year old dude is going to have to report in as a sex offender for the rest of his life if he is convicted plus do some serious jail time. I guess his girlfriend's father coerced her into claiming she was raped. Yikes! And the young fellow in front of me actually was arrested for not having two license plate lights. I thought his story sounded fishy when he told me, but he mouthed off to the officer and they threw him in jail. He had no money so the bail and court costs of 350.00 meant he would have to spend three and a half days in jail in lieu of payment.

The lesson from all of this is that one poor decision can mess up your life big time. Most people reading this will never have occasion to worry about such matters. It is still interesting to see what happens when things go pear shaped.

It looks like my trial won't be until after the first of the year since the local courts are clogged, so I am fortunate to be out on bail and able to drive around and work as long as I obey the terms of my release. So far this only involved paying a boatload of money and getting an interlock device installed in my truck. The interlock device consists of a handheld device that looks like a CB radio handset with a coiled cord going under the dash with a half inch tube sticking out the top. You turn your vehicle ignition key to the on position and when the device beeps and reads blow on the screen you have to blow hard and hum at the same time until it beeps three times indicating you have no alcohol on your breath. I think they make you hum loudly while blowing just to try and humiliate you in the parking lot. Not sure though. But if you don't hum loudly enough the device won't unlock the ignition and tells you to hum louder. And then once on the road it beeps every 15 minutes or so and you have to blow and hum into it while you're driving like you're playing in an Alkie Kazoo band. I don't drink anymore so it's more of an annoyance than anything.

Reporting live from the Cleburne Texas Public Library,

Your ADVpal,
    CHJ
  19. whiskymike

whiskymike landloper

Oddometer:
    hello john, are you restricted to the truck? Guess it would be hard to use an interlock device on the bike, if you have to sing a song every 15 minutes! Can you ride the bike off road?
  20. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    My buddy had same equipment on his truck and that end up being his only punishment for the next 6 months.. Just a head-up that you may run into some glitches and that can become quite frustrating especially if it becomes a problem and you have an appointment you need to go to. He complained about it a lot and it has caused him to be late to work too. He complained that to the installer and find that not a damn thing the installer can do about it but to tell him "It is what it is!". He was so damn happy the day they took it out of his truck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.