South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi whiskey mike,

You have to have an interlock device in every vehicle you drive. I suppose you could put one on a bike, since you have 6 minutes to blow into it allowing you to pull over. The problem is that you have to pay 75 bucks a month for each interlock device so it would add up. Although it would be interesting to have one on my KLX. Flip up the helmet take the device out of the tank bag and blow every once in a while. Hmmm. Nah, I probably won't do it.

I can ride my bike on the farm I am staying at since it is private property, but am only allowed to drive a vehicle with an interlock on public roads until my trial and probably for some months after. It is not that big of a deal and I will follow the letter of the law. Some folks get other people to blow in their device. Other folks drive a friends vehicle without the device to get around the restriction if they continue drinking and driving. Those are the people that end up back in jail in a continuing downward spiral of pain and anguish. I don't wish to go there.

Saludos,
    Juan de ContriciĆ³n
  2. RidingAgin

RidingAgin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tio Juanito,
    I just caught up to your situation there in Texas. Keep the faith and dream of riding and writing.

In my neck of the woods, the locals will stop you for burned out license plate lights also, so you never know. My last ticket was for not having my turn signal on in a right hand turn only with a green arrow. Gave the local PD enough to pull me over. Went to court, still got a fine but reduced. They removed the green arrow.....

Looking forward to your SA road writing.

From the wetland,
    Dennis
  3. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John,
    Just wanted to say that I am so pleased to see you facing up to this. Too many people try to get out of the consequences of their actions. Happy that no one got hurt, that you aren't compounding your troubles by lying or running away, and that you are keeping a positive attitude through all of it. I hope that you land with a lenient and understanding judge!
    Bria
  4. Paratrout

Paratrout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JD,

Sorry to hear about your situation. We all make our mistakes and move on. It sounds like you're moving on just fine. As someone who has to sit in a courtroom once every couple of weeks, I get to see the best and worst of people. I can tell you that those who readily admit that they made a bad decision and own up to it usually do just fine.

You'll have a chance to tell the judge about who you are and what you have done to ensure that this doesn't happen again. My advice, make sure he/she knows you're not drinking anymore and offer some kind of proof. (like a substance abuse assesment and or proof of AA meeting attendance) Also if you are willing to do a work release program that may be in your benefit as the courts don't want to be tied up with probation cases anymore than you do.

I'm hoping and praying for the best John. But I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Best wishes,
    -Mike (the trout)
  5. JDowns

Oddometer:
    I don't take the time to respond to everyone, but please know I truly appreciate all of the kind words and good advice I have received. The best things in life are on ADVrider. You guys are great.

Thank you,
    Tio Juan
  6. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We all know you will pay your dues and move on, and continue your adventures so those of us that won't can live vicariously through you.
  7. motopoet

motopoet The Moto Poet

Oddometer:
    Tio Juan,

I've been quietly following your reports for over 6 months and wanted to take this opportunity to send you a strung hug and all the best wishes and prayers. I'm sure you will soon be reunited with your steed and continue this shared journey with us. In the mean time stay strong and keep sharing as much as you can with us, your ADVrider family!

Sigue adelante amigo!

D.L.C.
  8. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Look who showed up in rural Texas out in the middle of nowhere to pay me a visit:

[​IMG]

Junyah is heading from New Hampsha south towards South America on his WR250R. His ride report is over at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014633

He spent the night out at the ranch and we came into town for some breakfast and wifi at the public library so he can update his ride report. He is taking a cue from me and traveling minimalist as well as taking the time to stop and visit fellow ADVriders on his way south.

Junyah is an ace mechanic and he had my KLX purring this morning. The only problem it had was an overflowing carb bowl due to a faulty float needle. We took the carb apart and he found a replacement part in a bag of carb parts that veriest1 handed me when he dropped by. He's a great guy, so if you see him in your neck of the woods don't hesitate to invite him over to fix your bike. :-)

After putting the carb back on the bike the last little niggling float needle problem was fixed. Woohoo. Of course the license plate tags are from 2009 since the guy I bought it from never renewed them, but it is ready to ride around the ranch here. And veriest1 tells me his buddy Dody is having a get together in a couple weeks out at his place so maybe I’ll truck it over and ride around for a weekend on the trails on his property.
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was 20yo (long time ago) I got a DWI. Walked for a year. The real penalty were my insurance rates after I got my license back...and 40 years later I have to check yes on job apps that I've been arrested.

You are a stand-up guy and here's hoping that your Karma is back in.order.
  10. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    It is not going to get any better until we make a stand and get loud. The system is so bass ackwards that punshment is administered for what *might* have been done. :dunno I feel it is very wrong to make such prejudices. I believe people should be held responsible for what they actually do - when they do it. If the penalties for getting into an accident were as high as they should be, people would police themselves and we wouldn't have to stoop to such lame tactics. An accident is an accident no matter what one might choose as a scapegoat -- it boils down to a simple lack of taking it sufficiently seriously. Some people can actually drive fine while "intoxicated". When we were kids, before there was DUI and when we drank beer as we drove, I began actively avoiding the mistakes of the sober mind-drifters who had their minds on everything but what was going on around them. Apparently, it's not about safety anymore, it's about following the rules a bunch of bozos would decide we should. They must privately get quite a laugh out of it. And now, it's not our fault if we phuggup as long as we were following all the rules. Whoever is perfectly safe but breaking a rule is treated as the evil one.

I'm sorry they picked on you, John. It appears they can identify us easy targets. And I hate that something which caused no harm is creating such a nightmare for you. Maybe someone reading this report is the son of a Senator, or something. Best wishes in getting through this. They won't incarcerate you for simply operating above the legal BAL limit, as long as you didn't lose control. They will fine the heck out of you and make it a federal case to get your license back, for sure. It's a very misguided system. :waysad

PS: I don't get it; I thought you said earlier you didn't drink... :scratch

11. grind

grind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is quite possibly the most moronic rant I've read on ADV yet.

Jurgen likes this.
  12. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    ... and you have "Thinking" under your screen name! :jack
  13. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing for sure.. don't frigging drink and drive or ride. For yours or other's sake.. that said.. I have seen a bad accident whereby at Christmas time two brothers hit a tree wit their car. The driver was bruised but OK, his brother died right in front of him caught between the dashboard and seat and no one could do a thing about it.. I am not saying it can't be done. And while in Mexico buggy driving to a tequilla sampling place I asked the lead how come we can drink and drive, I know ridiculous question, .. he said "You will just drive better and be more relaxed!" and laughed. I love John as much as y'all do. I think he is smarter about life than most of us are and has had allot of experiences. This one just happens to suck and was bad luck as nothing else perhaps would have happened. But OnandOff I agree with you that "the system" is not "user friendly" and God forbid you get on the wrong side of it... things go downhill fast unless you have a strong mind and will power to overcome it. They don't actually think, they "execute". Fact that John never drank gave me pause.. I know I have had bad stuff in my life happen and tried drowning it in booze. Didn't help me and got me worse. I was just lucky I am not dead, or maybe not lucky depending on how my ex would look at it. Why he did what he did is his question to answer. And I do not need to hear it, I already understand it.
    Unfortunately they don't take that into account in court.
  14. grind

grind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And you don't
  15. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Apparently we both suffer from the same malady of doing other than what's there. :deal
  16. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Amen, Bro; right there with ya! Keep rockin'...
  17. ANGRYBUTTCRACK

ANGRYBUTTCRACK Everyday above ground is a good day.

Oddometer:
    5 miles from Cooks Corner, in Laguna Hills, CA
    "Who are you to wave your finger? You must have been out your head.. Eyeballs deep in muddy waters, you practically raised the dead!" - Tool

Ride strong JDowns.. this soon shall pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0j0smt8fY

abc
  18. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:

On this sad note this ride report has now ended and has been closed so we don't have to clean up any more sanctimonious finger wagging posts by inmates who've never made a mistake. Also, as per the posted rules, a ride report must have a beginning and an end and not become a blog, and the riding in this one ended long ago.

If JD wants me to punt his DUI post and subsequent posts to Inmates, please PM me. I would also encourage you to spare no expense in preventing a conviction for DUI (plea deal?) as that may prevent you from entering other countries. For example, a DUI conviction in Canada is a felony resulting in a criminal record, therefore a DUI conviction in the US prevents you from entering Canada, and yes, border services on both sides of the US/Canada border have access to your record. :(:

In the future, you will ride again, - that's for certain - and when you do, please share your adventures in a new ride report.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.