South America and Beyond on Another Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to learn how to climb stairs with crutches. When I tore a kneecap off & was in rehab, they taught me how to do that. Many places just give you the crutches & you are on your own.

Go down to a landing where you won't fall down the stairs and try going up & down just one step. Put the crutches on the step where you are standing & use your good foot to get to the next step, followed by the bad foot.

Always Good Foot Up, Bad Foot Down... And when you get to the cane, always use the cane on your GOOD foot side.

I have been wheelchair, walker, crutches, cane Twice! First time I had to learn how to walk again. Actually, right now I have the same boot you have--broken foot, ankle and wrist--all left side....

You have the right attitude. No matter what, it's only a minor inconvenience.
  2. kenbob

kenbob Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer:
    Beverly Hills, Mt -swimmin pools,movie stars
    I must say John , that is a good looking pair of crutches you have . Look new , not second hand !!

Heal up quick

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to this report .

Ken in Montana
  3. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Feral male !

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised one crutch isn't metal and the other wood given the way Tio Juan operates! Hope I get to buy you dinner next time your in Oregon.
    Al
  4. top_dog

top_dog ADVrider wannabe

Oddometer:
    Wow, that was unespected!

Hope you get better soon!

I got 10 more days and decided to see the south of brazil.

When you get better, if you like, I am intended to sell my xtz250 tenere, way better than the tornado.

Mine have 36.000km now and is making some maintenance to stay 100%. these bikes are well known in Brazil from getting up to 150.000km without problems.

This vacations I rode 14.000km, i'll prepare my first rr, i think it's time after so many years just looking.
    ONandOFF and Seadragon16 like this.
  5. drtyrrel

drtyrrel "don't look down"

Oddometer:
    Left handed with your watch on the left hand? Do you shoot a longbow?
    exmagnarider likes this.
  6. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Heal up John. That Sherpa gave all she had right to the end. Good to see you've had company in the tough moments.
  8. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John,

Well I was intending on making a request for detailed photos of the Sherpa, just to see up close what 70k+ of South America looks like on a bike, but I guess that's out now. Prayers and well wishes from Northern Nevada. I feel your pain...Had a head on with a car on a Yamaha XT200 a little over 30 years ago that gave me 7 knee surgeries, and a "very special" alignment of the back. So good you're in such great physical condition (you big STUD); you'll heal up well. If it makes you feel better, my first knee surgery was $38,000.00 in 1984, so you got a fantastic bargain.

Your stories are very inspiring and while I cant venture too far from home due to little ones, I can take weekenders across the Nevada desert anytime I want. To me single cylinder is THE way to go, lighter, more nimble, and always easier to fix.

But it's the way you tell your stories, just the right amount of text with the right amount of fantastic photos. And of course the magic ingredient, your attitude which is really one in a million...Makes you an ADV rock star!!

Get well, get a bike, get back on the road!!! That's the best wishes I can given you.
    Acan Zipacna likes this.
  9. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    No new posts in several days. Very unJuan-like. Should we be worried?
  10. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope it is a simple case that he is keeping much better company than us and is being kept in compliance with strict orders to take it easy.
  11. SlowernOlder

SlowernOlder Misfit

Oddometer:
    I'm concerned.
  12. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:
    No need to be, when I left John a few days ago he was doing well. A bandage change confirmed all was well and healing. The wifi may be down where he is and he's on the fourth floor so he can't really get out very easy. He's in good hands too, just a little patience por favor.
  13. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Good to know Junyah!!
    :jjen:thumb:lurk
  14. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some Medicare Supplement (medigap) programs cover emergency care when outside the USA. Obviously, best to verify your coverage with the underwriter.
  15. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    You were all correct. The wifi has been out for 2 days and I am in good company here in Lima.. The staff photographer bought me a nice iPhone yesterday so I have cellular internet. Heading to the doctor later this morning to get my stitches out.

I have been eating a healthy bone building diet that has had the added benefit of slimming me down to fighting trim. Mandatory daily half hour of sun on the rooftop terrace has turned my pale gringo chest and legs tan. So don't cry for me Argentina, or in this case Peru. All is good and I hope to continue my travels when prudent.

More later.......
  16. exmagnarider

exmagnarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that things are mending nicely for you Tio. Been reading your various threads on and off for quite a while and just got caught up at work this morning. Way to keep a positive outlook through all you've been through, and keep reporting. This is my favorite RR, even when there's no riding going on! Your healing process will be in my prayers.
    10ecjed likes this.
  17. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    Quote:> Mandatory daily half hour of sun on the rooftop terrace has turned my pale gringo chest and legs tan.

When you say 'More Later ......" Maybe less is better with regard to old man body parts baking in the sun.
    Thanks.
    :-)

* But if the staff photographer would like to spend some time in the sun and document it, I think we would all be fine with that.!
  18. RamblingIrishHippie

RamblingIrishHippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it, ye were starting to look a bit pasty...no pics of the tan?!? Tetiana is What we're looking for, but I know you're far to classy for that!
  19. j2beers

j2beers Taxpayer

Oddometer:
  20. Space_man

Space_man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John, wish you a continued speedy recovery.
    Best wishes,
    Jon
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.