South America and Beyond on Another Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John,

A question for you sir if you don't mine.

In your RR's you rarely if ever mention anything about dealing with corruption, shakedowns, "tourist tariff's", etc. Do you have some way of avoiding them, or is it just that you're such a positive person you just don't mention them?
  2. northtrekker

northtrekker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John,
    I've been about a month behind in reading your report. This evening while sitting by the warm glow of a computer screen here in snowy Wisconsin I read of your extra excitement and had to keep reading. Sorry the Sherpa has sherped it's last but happy to see people and events seemed to fall into place to keep you safe and now on the road to recovery. I'm sure you'll be ready for a real road when the time is right.
    Wishing you the best.
    Carl
  3. Panama

Panama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oye, Tio
    1 week and no updates! Hope the photographer isn't wearing you out too much. Let us know how it is going!
  4. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have any idea what you have done to us?

You turned us all into “Tio Juan” crackheads and then left us, jonseing for our next fix and man it’s been a long time dude.

You’ve got us checking this thread three times a day or more with no news and then were feeling so down and disappointed.

Even a daily picture of Teitiana painting your toenails a new color each day on that broken foot would be enough to keep us from the painful withdrawal we are experiencing out here.

Get a Chile chip for that new iPhone and a $10 calling card so you can be independent of wifi for that one-a-day picture posted on Advrider to help your fan club keep their sanity....please!!!!
  5. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably lost his interwebs connection again, and with Teitiana as company, I doubt he cares.
  6. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He knows his job is to keep us entertained, he'll be around when he can, he won't let us down.
  7. GRinCR

GRinCR Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hahaha :imaposer

Jumping on this bus.
    Old Codger likes this.
  8. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    You guys are the best!

I'm moving on the 9th to a place with wifi. In the meantime I have nothing to report other than the removal of my stitches and continued slow improvement.

The staff photographer is taking excellent care of me. Made a dentist appointment for me. Boy, can she ever talk down Peruvian taxi drivers. A root canal is child's play compared to laying in the middle of the Pan American highway with a broken leg. Dentists are cheap as chips in Peru.

Will post pics when I have wifi in a few days.

Ciao,
    Tio Juan
    10ecjed, goodcat, SparkyL and 19 others like this.
  9. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you are doing well and the staff photographer is assuring you get your dose of vitamin D through daily sunshine. Add in a little milk and you will be golden! Be careful getting back down those stairs!
    Don't let the adventurer in you get a piece of cardboard and slide down....:pynd
    exmagnarider likes this.
  10. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well crap John ! We can't leave you alone for a minute :-)
    Sorry about the accident and hope you have a fast and full recovery.
    If I know you,you will make the best of it .
    Don & Pansy
  11. hellwig

hellwig random dirtnapper

Oddometer:
    Hey big john, I've been inspired to follow you from the beginning and I know everyone here is kissing your ass about how great the report has been and bitching because you haven't been able to post. Just get well and ride (or limp) your ride. We will still be here. Thanks for the adventures amigo.
    Texas -wishing you well.
    Len likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Wow! Just wow. When we met you in Medellin you had your arm in a sling.....now this!
    Sending good vibrations all the way down the Pan Am..
    Heal quick, heal well, ride on JD
  13. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you are getting better!

Later
    John
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure you are 100 percent at our age healing is slow n baby skin easy to disturb
  15. gmiles

gmiles Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey John, we're dying out here, wondering what's going on. You said you were moving on the 9th, its soon to be the 15th, should we send the FBI or the CIA to check your wellbeing ? , we're getting concerned ! George
  16. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have heard that women from Ukraine are the best companions. I think John has discovered just how true that is. They can make you forget about everything else in this world. John, I know you are enjoying this little break and you will get back to this RR as soon as you are able to get that grin off your face.
    Tony in Tn
  17. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Valentine's Day....:deal

He'll be back, his nurse is keeping him in line and well cared for, Tetiana is a real blessing for him that came into his life at a perfect time. Karma is full circle.
    simmons1 and Seenyah like this.
  18. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird though. I thought John said he would have better internet when he moved plus ability to hot spot his new iPhone. Hope he is ok.

Also, a totaled bike is still worth something. Can't see not salvaging. Maybe apply salvage value to the new mount.

Finally - how can this trip continue ? Sudden expenses of 10K+ (hospital and replacement bike) could kill a well funded ride. Let alone a minimalist program.

I know you - John - are the eternal optimist, always seeing life from the good side. Makes you an inspiration for me and many others. Wish you the best.
  19. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JD has not posted on his personal blog since November and it has been more than a week since he posted here. It would be good if someone passing through could check up on him.

I had a discussion with the moderators a while back about funding rides. I wanted to contribute then and maybe get help in the future. While it is true that soliciting d...... is forbidden by the rules, there are ways to help.

One way is to sell stuff through the classifieds. I bet there are a lot of parts on that Sherpa that would sell. I would personally offer a good amount for small bent piece. Or buy a good piece to be donated to a local.

Another option is to have a discrete link in the signature line that links to a personal blog. That blog can be a source for funds.

I looked high and low for a specific written rule and can not find one. It is confirmed by the moderator I spoke with that the rule is real and enforced, so I do not mean to go there. Just looking for a way to save this ride.
  20. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the hiatus. All is well in Lima. Spent the last week in a nicer place. There just isn't much to report when you are on the mend in a foreign country. Met MikeS downtown at his hostel this morning. He brought me an iWalk 2.0 pegleg that will get me off crutches as soon as I fabricate a few pieces that didn't make it into his luggage somehow.

I rented a car with unlimited miles today. It's time to blow this popstand. I had to get an automatic and sling my broken right leg over the console and operate the gas and brake with my left foot. I was actually amazed that they would rent a car to a gimp on crutches.

So we are off to tour the country for a couple weeks and swing back to Lima for x-rays at the end of the month. Fly down to Santiago the middle of next month for more tourismo con rental car. Then maybe Argentina. At this point I am just winging it.

But the ride report rules state clearly that a ride report must have a beginning and an end and not drag out into a bloggy kind of affair.

So I am calling this ride report over for now.

I will start a new ride report when my leg is healed and I am back in the saddle again.
    With a staff photographer that speaks fluent Russian it may well be on a different continent. You will be the second to know.

But in the meantime I want to thank all of you for your kindness and support. It really means a lot when the chips are down and things are looking a tad bleak. I am so blessed to be a part of the ADVrider family. And believe me, as soon as I have more adventure moto travel to report I will be back with a vengeance.

Ciao for now ,
    Tio Juan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.