South America on knock off Chinese bikes and no $$$

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by nihiriju, Nov 26, 2011.

1. chile biker

chile biker n00b

Oddometer:
    What a BS is this ? I am sure you tried at Villazone/La Quiaca border ... this custom officers are bad, the worst is the Bolivian, they just make up there rules. I always had arguments with them and spend hours there ...I met quite some people who were turned back at this border for all kind of stupid reasons...

Maybe try the other border crossing at Aguas Blancas (you have to go over Tarija), this one is much better. Or try paso Jama ...

But please dont enter Argentina without the TIP (up here in the North valid for three month).

If you make it to Salta (I live here), I invited you for beer food fuel and a bed and a shower and I will take you to the lake (Cabra Coral) for a swim.

send me a pm

merry x mas
  2. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Some of my best travels were when I was young and broke and didn't know any better. Roll on and keep the PMA.
  3. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:

What is TIP?? Mandatory Insurance? We were trying to buy insurance for Argentina online but couldn´t find any and figured we would buy once in Argentina.

We plan on making it into Argentina at some point but it may not be in the next few days. About to make a split moment decision to go to Chile via Ollague or to head the way you suggested through into Argentina. If we do make it into Argentina we would love to stop by and say hi!

Cheers, and thanks for the help!

Nick
  4. chile biker

chile biker n00b

Oddometer:
    TIP means temporary import permit - the white paper you get from customs for your bike

enjoy your ride
  5. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:

Ahh that´s awesome, thanks!

We just made it into Chile, ran out of money, fuel, food and got a flat tire on the way! Also we drove 100km from the border and were told we needed to go back because we didn´t complete customs. Wooohhoo! Hopefully we find a nice spot to camp for Christmas!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
  6. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Your trip,your terms.Good for you and Merry Christmas!!
  7. jnorton1

jnorton1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a hell of a good time, good luck with the gas money issue.
  8. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey!

Just thought I´d drop off some more pics, we are squatting in Zapallar right now....pretty hard though as all of the land is owned by someone, and it is very busy around. Heading further south in a few days.

[​IMG]
    The road to Tupiza from Potosi, most was paved, but this was a nice dirt section.

[​IMG]
    Cooking over a fire partially fueled by dung. A long time dream of mine.

[​IMG]
    Great lil river valley

[​IMG]
    Leaving Tupiza

We got turned down at the border for Argentina and decided to make a run to the border for Chile.

[​IMG]
    On the road from Tupiza to Uyuni

[​IMG]
    Frosty nights

[​IMG]
    The last thing you see in Bolivia.

[​IMG]
    Welcome to Chile!!!

[​IMG]
    Christmas eve, squating at a salt mining operation, ran out of money, fuel, food and water. Had to borrow some money and bus into the nearest town with gas. 130km away i think.

[​IMG]
    Trying to drive from Antofagasta South, the road ended shortly after this though.

[​IMG]
    The hand.

[​IMG]
    Camping in the Lunar.

[​IMG]

Near Zapallar, collecting some fire wood.
  9. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I'll give you guys credit for your gumption. Being young and naive helps. Ignore the criticism here, most of us would love to take an adventure like yours, as goofy as it is. I would send you a loonie or two if I had any.....By the way, great pictures.:thumbup
  10. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys have elevated yourselves from the rank of "dirty backpacker" to "overlander-in-training." Well done. By the time you're done with this, we might let you into the club. See if you can spend some time with some "real" motorcycle travelers (the ones who really know their stuff are usually german) to learn some tricks. There are many to learn. Sadly, most people don't figure them out until they've been on the road for many months. Get in a good routine and everything goes smoothly. Learn to pack well. Fuel jugs dangling near your rear wheel are asking for problems. Manage your fuel well. Don't all ride until you're empty. If you're going to run out, combine your fuel into one bike and send him forward with every empty container you have. All 3 of you running empty and then taking a bus makes no sense. Tell dudeman with the hatchet to get some real boots, close toed shoes at the very least. You can't ride like that for long and hope to keep your toes. If you want to cross to argentina, check out paso de san francisco just east of copiapo. It's nice and quiet and WAY out in the mountains. Your chances of getting across there no questions asked are pretty good if I had to guess. There are also mountain shelters to camp in for free. I think technically they're only for emergency use, but something tells me you probably don't really give a shit. This is the road over that pass:

[​IMG]
  11. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is pure silly (and I'm being generous). No one appointed you, Airhead Wrangler, as gatekeeper for any "club," and there's no consensed definition of "real" motorcyclists either. "Real" is whatever gets done out there in the world while riding a motorcycle. These guys qualify.

The OP began by describing a fantasy-laden description of a trip which was clearly not going to happen--women, corporate sponsors, absence of money, etc. etc. etc. By all indications they've now settled into a nice, go-with-the-flow moto journey, complete with mistakes and successes and improvised adjustments to whatever comes along. That's to be celebrated, not lectured on what's "real" or worthy of "club" membership. What's more, they've been entertaining us with photos and words, which is a nice community service.

If it's not your preferred style, fine. It's not mine either. But I don't need to denigrate the OP to puff myself larger. They're doing fine, and I hope they continue and have a blast doing it.

Mark
  12. jordan325ic

jordan325ic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ I believe he was being tongue-in-cheek about the motorcycle club, unless I'm reading it very wrong.

Cool trip. With your budgets in mind I'd get out of Chile quick Chile though, when I was there earlier this year it was $7.50usd per gallon. It was almost $200 in gasoline alone to cross the Atacama desert.
  13. markharf

Oddometer:
    If so, I'll be happy to bow and scape and apologize.

Mark
  14. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Uh, yes. That was very tongue in cheek. You can feel free to send me membership dues though. :D

I'm just trying to keep these guys from making dumb mistakes. Mistakes on the road = money. These guys have no money to spare.

...and by "real" bike travelers I mean the dirty old men (and women) on 20 year old XRs, DRs, XTs, KLRs and airheads, not power rangers on R1200s who sleep in hotels every night. Plenty of them in South America, mostly german, but some brits, aussies and french too. Many of them on their 5th+ RTW. HUBBers not ADVriders. Many of them are super thrifty and could probably impart some wisdom.
  15. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't give up... your trip reminds me of my trip across the US via hitch-hiking.
    a buddy and me left with backpacks right out of high school with not much $$$.
    next to no planning ... but it all worked out.

wouldn't trade that experience for anything ...
  16. markharf

Oddometer:
    Ahem. (bows).....(scrapes forehead on ground).....(mutters unintelligible apology beneath breath).....

Is it over yet?

Mark
  17. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well the trip is going great, but gas price do add up. I´m going to stop in Southern Chile and try to get a job at an architecture firm, or with a glulam manufacturer. There seems to be enough money here and a lot of higher end wood construction, so maybe I can take in some of my experiance from home. I am a heavy timber consultant.

I´m also the guy with the flippy floppies in the pictures, but i use hiking boots while riding around normally. Only flip flops on lil wood runs and so on. It is great to be on the beach right now near Zapallar. We met an awesome movie director who has done a few moto trips around the world and has let us stay with him on his beach house for the past 3 nights. We are leaving today to Valpa, and hoping we can find some place to squat in the bushes, it is much harder with so many people around these areas though.

I´ll bring more pics as the story unwinds.

I´ve also met a hardcore old school biking german couple. I can´t find the pic right now, but he pretty much built his own bike with side car. I think they had been travelling for 3 years around the world in it. This thing looks like a beast from road warrior, hopefully i´lll find the pic soon.

Cheers!
  18. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Is it a really loud triumph by chance?
  19. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the beast.
    [​IMG]
  20. Airhead Wrangler