South America on knock off Chinese bikes and no $$$

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by nihiriju, Nov 26, 2011.

1. G-Tex

G-Tex Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer:
    A Heavily Fortified Compound in North Oak Cliff
    Ridiculous.

Youthful.

Fun.

I'll be in Bolivia from June 28th to July 15th or so...I'll buy you guys a beer if you're back...

Cheers!
  2. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Good luck ... hope you guys can continue the journey. If you've made it this far you've obviously learned a few things by now.

Some of our Experts over blow this whole "Adventure" thing.
    A few of the Germans I've met on the road are over packed, over anal, paranoid and up tight, have double the budget they need ... and sometimes quite critical.

Maybe you guys can max out a few credit cards to struggle on? :evil

Takes all kinds! :D
    [​IMG]
  3. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you guys can ride those bikes till they absolutely fall to pieces. By then, you'll be able to put them back together and go another 10K or whatever! I know this much, by the time you get to be my age, you'll wish you had the same spirit of adventure that you do now! KEEP RIDING, KEEP WRITING, but please, KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON!!! HA HA!!!

I wrestle with the thought of a Washington to Panama ride every day. Last year, I did an Eastern WA, Eastern OR, Eastern CA ride, with a lot of dirt road work and loved it. The hardest part of the trip I found though, was simply walking out the door and locking it, then getting on the bike and riding away. Everything else was easy! Since then, I refer to that period right before leaving and "the final steps". I am so looking forward to the next set of "final steps"!

Airhead Wrangler, if you catch this post, what is a HUBBer? Something to do with Horizons Unlimited?
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumbYou got it, the forum over there is called "The HUBB" aka "Horizon's Unlimited Bulletin Board" so it's slang for its users. ADVer:freaky
  5. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think I met you in Santa Cruz (:scratch), looks like you're making the best of it. Nice trip. :thumb
  6. Colombianito

Colombianito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great time.......... you'll remember this ride all your life! If ya get to Colombia, i can put you guys up at my home for a night or two and also at my Hotel in Cali for another night or two! I'll even buy you fellows some liquor and fill your stomaches and gas tanks up. That is my contribution for you 3 men. Hope to see ya soon! C

313-789-2279 or 836-6286 Cell and house numbers in Colombia.
  7. billyt53

billyt53 Phast Phossil

Oddometer:
    I 'dips mi lid' to you guys for having the will to tackle Sth America on a shoestring. Good luck to you all and travel safe. :clap
  8. Jerico591

Jerico591 n00b

Oddometer:
    I see "adventure riders" roll into town on BMW1200GS machines (or sometimes on KTMs), dressed head to toe in the appropiate and sanctified company regalia along with the essential handwarmers, electric vests and state of the art GPS gizmos; most of the time paranoid about leaving their bikes and gear unattended for more than 30 seconds at a time as they ask for directions to the five star hotel where they have booked a stay. It's true, most seem to be nearing middle age and it's true they can spend their money and time anyway they want to, but it's also true that you guys somehow seem to better convey a sense of adventure, fun and discovery as you ride through SA and take us along with you. Thanks.

Keep the pictures comming and best of luck on the road.
  9. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you most surely did and convinced me to go for it.

Thanks!

We are in Puerto Montt Chile right now, gearing up to stalk our way into the deep south.

Had a lot of problems on the way my exhaust fell in half electrical system ate it and my kickstarter fell off. All in one day without and crashes. Ugggh....all fixed up now though. I have some great pictures but need more time to post.

Later Days!
  10. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow!! That would be amazing, we are planning on heading back north after we reach Ushuaia. I don´t know if the bikes, or our wallest will make it that far but if they do we would love to drop in!

Cheers!
  11. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Got bit by my first dog.

[​IMG] Went all the way back up North for Dakar. ... also shaved my head and beard at new years.

[​IMG] Windscreen broke...only from wind. Great Quality.

[​IMG] Some caves near Conception

[​IMG] A pack of black dolphins followed....or went the same way as us down the coast!

[​IMG] Met some friends in Pucon and went waterfall swimming with them.

That´s all for now.
  12. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, Puerto Montt is pretty far South, how is your budget now? If you go into Argentina then be careful passing checkpoints there, if you're caught without insurance then you'll be paying bribes.
  13. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    Cool. :thumb

You're going to love the austral if that's where you're headed. Let me know if you need any info or help from up north.
  14. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are in Coihaique chile now, planning on taking the Chile Chico crossing to Argentina and making our way to Ushuaia, maybe another 2 weeks? It has been pissing, absolute piss on us for the last few days. We camped out in the abandonded airport hanger in Chaiten for 2 days to get dry.

Every day we eat sandwhiches for breakfast and lunch, and have pasta with red sauce and onion for dinner. I have about $400 left, took out a loan for $1000, and got some money people owed me plus $165 from the goverment in the form of tax rebaits. Woot woot! (Loser cheques). I think i should be able to make it a fair bit futher i hope. The scenery is wonderful down here, and i have lots of amazing pics i´ll get up soon.

Cheers,
  15. Misery Goat

Oddometer:
    I loved Coyhaique, stayed several days when I was there.

If you don't like your accommodations this place is just outside of town and was cheap and tranquilo.

[​IMG]

hostal salamandras
  16. Hache_arg

Hache_arg End of the world rider

Oddometer:
    i,m happy to inform that this guyd had been smugled (along withe the rest of their bikes... don worry, still running) into Argentina by myself.
    i had a flat tyre on the road from Carretera Austral to Chile Chico and los antiguos, whe the strange (to be kind) group appears. I recognize them inmediatly, and while i wait for ny friend to the the wheel to Chile Chico to get itn fix (stuborn tyre) they perform an oil change and alunch. When i show them what berrys were good to eat, they became very happy.

Latter i help them to pass ther border (waving my hand as i said Those are not the droids we are looking for) and we went to Los Antiguos. then i made my BIG mistake.... I invite them a steake dinner. :huh:huh:cry
    Lets just say i have tu hurry my way back to Buenos Aires because i habe no more money.
    At least i didn,t invite them to a bar, otherwisre, my ride would had been left as colateral. :freaky:wink:

Anyway, it was nice to have meet them. And a lot nice to be able to help a bit on the greatest adventure i ever know.

Hache
  17. EmilianoXR650L

EmilianoXR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seguiremos pendientes por aqui de ese viajesote !!!!! esta muy bueno heee !!!!!!!
  18. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your budget wasn't too well though out but I like the spirit of adventure. I'd pay you $20 USD to get the image of you three naked dudes out of my head, back from post #12. :rofl
  19. Hache_arg

Hache_arg End of the world rider

Oddometer:
    The guys on the border...

[​IMG]

and with some Quilmes ( best proof they make it to Argentina)

[​IMG]

H
  20. nihiriju

nihiriju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh I am still so happy from the amazing steaks Hache took us out for! Much needed and highly highly appreaciated. Since then we have made our way down route 40 to Chalten, although not without a shit tonne of difficulties.

We have hade 2 flats on the way....wait sorry 3 flats, and all 3 bikes ran outta gas with only 270 km on them when we normally make 350km on a tank. ( The gauges stopped working ages ago)

I got my first flat when my front fender broke off and tore up my wheel in jiffy. We were just outside of Bajo Caracoles where we also happened to run into Dan from Smithers BC Canada, and Nic from South Africa. We camped out behind some dudes house which was the creapiest man in the world. Nic brought a box of wine for everyone and Dan pulled out a bottle of Whiskey which got us all fairly drunk.

Dan had a tire patch kit we used to fix my flat and Nic had some epoxy which we used to patch up Zack´s cracked and oil leaking crank case. We had spent our last 3 spare tubes on route 7 through Chile and hadn´t been able to get any replacements since....still don´t have any and are hoping Punta Arenas has some.

Hung over as shit the next day we headed to Gobernador Gregores, and camped in the free municipal lot. It was windy as shit and getting windier....(sp?)...got some much needed gas for the am and headed out for El Calafate. Once we mnade it back onto route 40 through one of the worst windstorms I have ever seen (Feb 6th maybe 5th) Zack goit a flat again. Tom and I drove to Tres Lagos through the hail, wind and rain...almost ate shit so many times with by far the most intense riding i have ever done, I had no wind visor left anymore either. We made it there, Zack hitch hiked, we splurged and got a hotel for the night. The next day zack went back to get his bike on the side of the road with his patched tube, and we met up with an old friend Dan from Tennese, he toild us that was the worst riding he had eve seen and he has done 60,000 miles from Alaska to here, he ended up back tracking and taking a different route. Eventually we got back on the road and made it to 20 km outside of Chalten. All bikes ran almost outta gas, we poured all the remaining gas into Tom´s bike, he got on the road and quickly got a rear flat. So we changed gas again into my bike, road into town, got more gas for zack and doubled back with tim and the flat to get it all fixed. Now we are doing a lil trekking in the area, although the weather is still shit.

Next stops, El Calafate, hopefully with some more tubes, tire levers, and hand pumps, Torres del Paine, Punta Arenas, and Ushuaia!

What a trip!

Thanks again to Hache for the meals! Dan and Nic for the assitance! Fuck me I could use a shower one day too...the lakes n rivers are a bit cold for swimming these days.

Also I have ran outta money completely, so Ushuaia will likely be my end, but Zack and Tom may keep going back North.